1975 CJ5 rebuild - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1975 CJ5 rebuild

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #271
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I read in one post someplace that any fuel/vapor line running over the valve cover has to be metal. All OEM lines come that way.

Need a picture?

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #272
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

A picture would be great! I couldn't find a good one in all my searches. My grandads Jeep has a straight 6 in it so I can't look at it and figure it out that way. Best I can tell the line runs up beside the fuel pump and comes out under the dizzy on the 304, but don't know that for sure or exactly how. So a picture would be great! That's probably right about the rubber line. I didn't feel comfortable running one that way. I thought the hard plastic might work, but sounds like not.
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #273
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

I found a couple pics that show the routing i did with the old Jeep with the 360. I came up on the drivers side to the fuel pump with aluminum line using a piece of rubber line to join it to the pump, and then out of the pump with braided stainless line into the fuel filter, then the carb. I eventually ditched that glass filter though and installed the correct one with a return which I just routed back down with the other fuel line.
forumrunner_20130323_233718.jpg

forumrunner_20130323_234258.jpg

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #274
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Thanks for the pics! My problem is the HEI is bigger than the stock dizzy and then the power steering pump is right in the way too! I ran my main line under the dizzy, which I guess is ok.

I think I have enough room to run the return line down by the fuel pump like you did, but if I run a hard line will I have to attach it to something to keep it from vibarating?

Not a good pic of my problem, but it is a tight fit.
Unread 03-04-2014, 01:24 PM   #275
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

As long as your hard line is attached good down at the frame, I wouldn't worry about it.
Unread 03-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #276
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Got it. I will try it that way. Sounds like I need to get to bending. We are supposed to have some pretty weather by the weekend. Hopefully I can ride some. It's been cold the last few days. That global warming must have pushed the arctic vortex south.
Unread 03-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #277
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleybrb
It's been cold the last few days. That global warming must have pushed the arctic vortex south.
I'll trade you your weather for mine!
Unread 03-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #278
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Finally got the fuel return line all buttoned down and no leaks! I am not sure it's the proper or right way, but I decided to go my own way with it. It was going to be a really tight squeeze to go beside the fuel pump in between the dizzy and power steering pump so I routed it down beside the valve cover and down the back of the motor. You guys see any problems with that that I can't see? I am not good at bending tubing so I stole a metal coat hanger (wife is out of town) and made me a template first. It just confuses the crap out of me bending it for some reason. Anyway here is what it looks like.

I am almost completely finished with this thing! Only a couple more bugs to work out. One sad thing though. I am going to have to pull the new springs off the rear. I fired it up and backed it out of the shop for the first time in probably a month. It felt good. Then the angle on the driveshaft that I was worried about bit me. It sheared the alimites where you grease the u-joints right off. It's just too much angle. Not sure which way to go with that. Alcan assures me that the arch is right, but it seems too much to me. Seems like I can't win for loosing sometimes.
Unread 03-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #279
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

I forgot to say a big thank you to all you guys for all the ideas and help. Now that I hope I am near the finish (God I hope I am) I need to get started on my next project. I am a lucky man. I can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but I also have my grandfather's '78 CJ5. Here are some pics.

I will share more on it later. I gotta get back to work for now!
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #280
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

!!#%##**^#!!! Gas gauge quit working after all that hassle!!! I triple checked everything before I put it all back together! I ain't even gunna worry about it for now. I will just write my miles down and drive it. The ironic thing is that it was the only gauge that always worked and now that I have re-did everything it's the only gauge that doesn't! I am beginning to think that it isn't possible for every single little thing to always work on a Jeep that old and also that it is going to leak something no matter how small somewhere! Oh well.
Unread 04-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #281
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

It's been crazy here lately. Just way too busy. Let me get back to the blue Jeep. It's a 1978. I'm not sure if it's a for real Laredo, but I think it is. The only thing that makes me wonder is that someone painted a funky design on the hood at some point. The way it sits now is the way I always remember it being. I think my grandfather bought it in the mid '80s. I don't ever remember the top being off. I feel bad because it has been pretty neglected for quite sometime. I didn't and haven't put any money into it or time either for that matter. I was saving for the green jeep and then working on it for the past almost 3 years. It has quite a few things that need some work on, yet it is the most dependable ride I have. It always cranks. I had always planned on selling it when I finished the green jeep and that's cool with my grandmother, but now I am struggling whether to keep it or sell it. Everyone in the family always loved the green jeep better, even my grandfather whose jeep the blue one was. My grandmother gave it to me after he passed away in 2002. In many ways, he taught me how to be a man. He instilled qualities in me like honesty, integrity and hard work by example. He was tough as nails and could do anything. I can remember him climbing trees and cutting small limbs off with a bow saw when he was in his 70's. I remember one summer when he was building his shop he and I moved and spread a whole dump truck load of sand with wheel barrels, a rake and a shovel. He grew up in the Great Depression, was in the army during WWII. He retired fairly young and spend absolutely countless days with me in the woods and on the water. My dad had to work so my papaw and me were like two peas in a pod. We both loved to hunt and fish and he spent a tremendous amount of time with me. He, my grandmother and I would go camping a week at a time all summer when school was out. Man, did we have fun. He taught me stuff during those years that I never realized he was teaching me until I had my own family and he was gone. So now I have the difficult decision of whether to keep it or sell it. Either way it needs some TLC so I figure I just might include that on this thread instead of starting another one. Honestly, I am not sure where to start or how far to take it. I don't have the money to take it all the way down like the '75 and it would probably be useless if I sell it so I will probably start with the basics. Anyone with any input would help.
Unread 06-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #282
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

It's been a while since I have had time to post again. I have been working by butt off! I am on the phone and computer a lot at work and here for the past long while when I get home I am tired of looking at thing all day! Anyway, been driving and enjoying the green 75. For the past week or two I have been giving my daughter driving lessons in it. It's been pretty neat to teach her how to drive a stick in the same thing I learned in. She has a much better clutch to work with than I did though! One thing is for sure, I have been holding on to the "Oh Chit" bar a lot!! Still haven't started on the hard top yet. I got to get started on it soon! I have been helping my daughter with her Gold award for Girl Scouts and she got it! I did after almost 3 years of Jeep building get to clean my shop up and holy cow! It feels good to be able to walk around in it without tripping over Jeep parts! I have been wanting to start piddling on my papaw's blue '78, but haven't had time to do that either. I was so far behind on stuff around the house from Jeep building that I thought I would never get caught up!
Unread 08-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #283
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Did double duty Saturday since I had time and it was too hot to fish. I gave 'ol blue a little tlc. It's been neglected for a while now. I washed and cleaned it up and took off the old fender flares. They were all warped and cracked up.

I cleaned a little under the hood, but much more is needed. I have a major oil leak out of the dipstick I think. Well actually that's probably not the only leak. Also after looking at the vacuum lines that needs some work for sure. I'm not sure if any of them are hooked up right. Funny how you never know somethings wrong until you've seen it done right. I will have to do some more research on the forum to get it figured out.

While I was in the mood I decided to clean up green 75 also. I thought they looked good together.

I also got started on this mess of a tanktop. I paid a guy that was supposed to know what he was doing to the the glassing for me. It was busted up pretty bad. He did it while I was building the rest of the Jeep. He wasn't supposed to prime it. Just fix the busted spots. It was dark when I picked it up over a year ago and I didn't pay much attention. I should have. I am not real happy with the job. He primed everything without sanding anything first. He even primed all the hardware too. I figure on top of learning how to fiberglass it will take me longer to undo what he did that it would have taken me to do it myself the right way the first time. I don't know anything about fiberglass so maybe he did better than I am giving him credit. Let me know what you think guys.

Looks like a little more sanding was needed here to me.

Is this the right way to do this? It looks like he glued a piece of a fiberglass bathtub to the inside.

This in one place where the door was cracked. It had a big hump in it where he patched it. That can't be right.

I sanded the hump out so it would be smooth and then all I had to do was press on it and bam, there is the crack again.

Here is another place he fixed.

I have been putting fixing it off for a long time and after starting on it I want to put it off even longer! I have got to bite the bullet and jump on it though. Any thoughts or input from you guys would be much appreciated.
Unread 08-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #284
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Got to work the winch out a little Saturday. Long story, but I ended up with this 150-175 year old log cabin. I couldn't have gotten it all unloaded without the winch. Some of them suckers are HEAVY!

I'm not sure yet where I will put them since I don't really have any land other than where I live and I wondered if I had lost my mind for going to all the trouble and work when I don't have an idea exactly what to do with them, but I just hated to see them thrown away after having lasted all these years. And I couldn't complain about the work it took to get them moved after I looked them over. They had square nails in them and were hand hewn with an ax. Now that had to be some work for someone!

I guess I'm bassakwards. I should have got the land first then the cabin! I think it will make a nice hunting cabin one day.
Unread 09-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #285
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Got to do some sanding on the hardtop over the long weekend. I looked like a smurf by the end of the day.

Looks like I got screwed worse than I thought by the guy that was suppose to do the fiberglass work. Check out his work after some sanding.

Looks like he didn't have the bondo mixed up good either.

There was a nice bubble under the bondo here.

More nice holes under all that bondo.

This is thin here. The bondo was 1/2" thick in some places.

On a side note here the hinge came loose on the pocket. What is going to be the best thing to put it back together with? JB weld? I've never used it before. Any ideas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.