1975 CJ5 rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1975 CJ5 rebuild

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

1975 CJ5 rebuild

Since I finally have 25 posts, I figured I would post some pics. Just a little back ground first. My dad bought this Jeep in '77. I have pics of me sitting on the hood when I was 5. I don't remember my childhood without this Jeep. It was a hunting and fishing machine! Over the years it got run down and finally parked at his shop. It hasn't ran in over 15 yrs. He and I was supposed to fix it up together, but he pasted away suddenly before we could ever start. For a couple years I couldn't touch it because of the memories and the loss. But on what would have been his 61st B-day on 9/10/11 I finally was able to start what we were never able to start together. Dad owned a body shop so I grew up around cars, but that was 20 years ago. I never really painted or done any body work. I had never welded or anything like that so in a lot of ways it has been against all odds that I have made it this far. It has been some blood, sweat and tears, but I have done everything myself except for setting up the front and rear ends and covering the seats. Some days I sanded so much rust and dust off that I thought I would freaking cough up a Jeep! It's not anything special compared to what I have seen on this forum (wish I would have found it sooner), but I am sure proud and hope my dad would be too. I have 100's of pics, but here are just a few.

bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Well, the pics didn't do like I thought, but then again, I'm not real great on computers!
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Unread 05-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

bradleybrb, glad you found this forum also... lots of good people and information here. Nice story about your Dad... glad you've decided to move on with the rebuild. I like to see these old Jeeps brought back to life... they don't build them like that anymore. Good to see folks taking the time to breath life back it to something worth keeping!

"For evil to flourish, all that is needed is for good people to do nothing."
commadore64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Hot dawg! I got it figured out...what a dummy! Here are some more pics of before I started.[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Thanks Commadore64! you've got an awesome build thread! I am really liking this forum! It has helped me since I found it! I don't have the hang of it yet, but just like with the Jeep, I am trying to learn! Here is the awesome pic of the inside with the "killer" gun rack. It went well back in the day with the suicide doors!
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Here are a few tear down pics. Taking it apart was fast and easy! I must not can put but one image to a post or at least I can't figure out how to do two!
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Here is one more pic, then I gotta get back to work! I plan on posting a few more each day until I get caught up to where I am at. Hope I am doing all this right!
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Bradleybrb,
Welcome to the forum! Love the suicide doors on your CJ. Great story about you and the relationship with your dad. I understand your reluctance to start a project until the grieving process has completed. Looks like the rebuild will be a lasting tribute to him. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

bradleybrb, looks like you are using a picture hosting site like photobucket. When typing in your message and you post a picture link, just tab down one more line and post another link... that's how I get multiple pictures in my thread messages.

Unread 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

Great looking Jeep and nice story about your dad. My dad had an old CJ-3 up in Maine, which we used in the woods. I swear it would crawl through anything....

I especially like the over sized tires on the stock rims....looks tough. Keep the progress pics coming.
JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Thanks guys! and JeePete, I know what you mean. As a kid it seemed dad's old jeep would climb a tree like a squirrel when he locked it in! Even when I was older and it was wore out, it would go places in 2wd that I would have to lock my pickup in 4wd to go. Any way, here are some pics of the frame.

I have been wanting to fix this Jeep up for close to 20 yrs. so at this point I am pumped! I was dreaming about it when I would lay my head on the pillow. The tear down was fast and I thought this isn't going to take as long as I thought. What a dummy I was! If you will notice, the frame on the passenger side has a patch on it. My dad broke it probably 30+ yrs. ago pulling out a dump truck. The patch had held all those yrs. so I just welded it on the inside while I had the frame upside down. I hope I did it right. Wish I had been on the forum then to ask you guys what I should do.
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
DeafJeep

Nice rebuilding project. Looking forward to seeing the finished Jeep.

Your father must be smiling in Heaven. Hope you don't mind ...

I will pray for you to get the necessary funds & parts to finish the Jeep and keep the Jeep in the family for several more generations.

I did not know Jeep had the suicide doors too. Curious a question ...

What year , make & models did Jeep make with the suicide doors please ?
DeafJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #14
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

After I got all the shackle brackets replaced, the frame patched up and painted, I started patching holes in the body. For some reason, my dad had like 6 antenna holes cut in it. I would have loved to ask him why! Since I had never welded before, I decided to try patching them 1st. I had read not to get the metal too hot so that made me not weld them in good enough on the first try. I figured out that you had to get it hot enough to "burn" them in on the backside so they would hold and not crack. I would tack and cool it with water soaked sponge. They held up on my second try. Just hope they hold up in the future! After I got comfortable doing them, I started cutting the rust out and fixing those spots. It was pretty cool to use the tools that my dad had used doing body work for so many years.

Hope that's not too many pictures. After all the patching was done, it was time too strip the body. I also figured out that I kind of like that welding. It was pretty fun! I just hope I did it right and it all holds up because I didn't have anyone to help or show me how.
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

I'm not a welder either, bradleybrb... but it looks like you are doing a great job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.