1975 CJ-5 not getting fuel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1975 CJ-5 not getting fuel

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
jmpunited9
1974 CJ5 

1975 CJ-5 not getting fuel

Hey guys. My buddy drove his jeep about 4 weeks ago and it was running like a champ (and has been), but after garaging it for the past month it is now no longer getting fuel. Here is what we have tested:

Previous to driving it 3 months ago we tested the pump and it was puming out fuel fine. It was filling a clear coke bottle in seconds (16 oz). My question is....do fuel pumps break over time or do they just all of a sudden stop working like this during storage. Is there anything else it can be? I was thinking that there may be a crack in the fuel line somewhere, but will that small amount of air getting in the fuel lines prevent the pump from pumping out fuel at all? We currently have the line disconnected BEFORE the fuel filter, so i am 100% sure its not the filter. The end of the line is sitting in a clear coke bottle and not a single solitary drop of fuel is coming out. And yes....the gas tank is full.

Is there anything else I should be checking before jumping to the conclusion that the fuel pump just magically broke while sitting still in a garage for 4 weeks? Is there maintenance that can be done to fuel pumps? can they clog?

jmpunited9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
retrofit9
1979 CJ7 

Yea the fuel pumps go bad just like you are saying. Mine did the same thing a few years ago and the fuel pump was'nt that old either. I let it sit over a winter and the diaphram went bad. I thought it had to be somthing else to since the pump was only a few years old. Changed it and it fired right up. Easy fix at least lol.
retrofit9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
jmpunited9
1974 CJ5 

was the fuel pump replacement difficult/labor intensive? I am yet to have to do one on a CJ
jmpunited9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Aduffy32
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I used my electric pump to drain my tank. I must have overworked it because it just suddenly stopped working.
Unread 01-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
retrofit9
1979 CJ7 

If its a mechanical fuel pump on a 258 I-6 its very easy. There is a fuel line in and a fuel line out and two bolts that hold it to the block. You'll need a new gasket with the new pump and some non hardening permatex. Scrape the old gasket matieral off the block after you remove the old pump. If I remember, the bolts holding the pump on the block are 7/16, so you'll need a 1/2" wrench for those and a 1/2" line wrench for the gas line to the carb. Brian.
retrofit9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.