More updates on the battery tray:
I used my Dremel to cut half the bracket off to use on the opposite side.
Looks like it will work.
Bracket welded back on. I also put some more weld on the 1st bracket to supplement the factory welds.
I’m out of practice – welds do not look pretty!
Here's my welder, it's older than I am.
Top side after welding.
Welds cleaned up and tray is primered.
Painted with black engine enamel. Old and new.
I wire brushed and primered the firewall.
Refurbished battery that fits in the tray. I took the tray and traded my old (still good) battery and $20.00 for this Intersatate.
When I held the tray in place to check for fit, the bottom holes lined up, but both top holes were way off…
….so, I cut the right brace off close to the tray, leveled the tray and marked where the brace needs to be trimmed.
Both braces cut off of the tray.
Trimmed and welded back on the tray at the proper length and angle.
Tray is bolted back in place and holes line up. i didn't have to drill any holes in the firewall - used existing holes.
The tray is solid now and the battery fits the way it is supposed to.
Overall, I’m happy with the way this project turned out although I did have to modify every bracket on the tray. I would have liked for the tray to be a direct bolt in, but I think the 2nd bracket does add quite a bit of support for the battery.
Thanks for looking a my thread.