1974 cj5 t15a and dana 20 tcase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1974 cj5 t15a and dana 20 tcase

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Banshee600
1992 YJ Wrangler 

1974 cj5 t15a and dana 20 tcase

Hi guys I have been looking on the site and can not find the anwser to a problem a buddy is having. with his cj5 74 with a t15A and dana 20 tcase when he fills the tranny with gear oil it will over fill into the tcase why does this happen is the gasket between the 2 bad ? he serviced both filled to the fill plug drove about 10 miles rechecked tran was a little over a pint low.

Banshee600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
C_H2O
1953 CJ3B 

Tranny/T-Case

Don't know about yours, but my T90/18 has a shaft seal
on the output of the tranny to prevent exchanging of fluids.
I would think all of them do to prevent mixing of what could be incompatible
fluids.
hope that helps.....
C_H2O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

There should be a lip seal on the transmission mainshaft rear bearing carrier. At the rear end of the mainshaft is the input gear for the transfer case, which is held in place by a large nylock nut. The seal rides on the input gear. There should also be a paper gasket between the transmission and the transfer case that completely seals the two and prevents fluid swapping. I just had my CJ5's T150 and Dana 20 apart partly for this reason and found that the nut holding the t-case input gear was loose, allowing the gear to move and the seal to leak fluid into the t-case. Also, the last monkey that had worked on them had not only not torqued the nut properly, he'd installed the wrong gasket between the two boxes. The overhaul & seal kits sold for these boxes will include three gaskets. Use the one that has NO holes in it other than for the input gear and the mounting bolts.

This is a pretty simple repair that can be done with the trans still installed. The boxes both use the same 80w GL4 (low sulphur) manual trans oil, but the natural action of the trans will pump all the oil into the t-case, which will them puke it out from every seal, vent, etc. FWIW, there was a recall back in the day on this. The input gear seal was installed backwards on some transmissions.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Banshee600
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks we will look into it I was thinking there had to be something to stop the from flowing together
Banshee600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.