1974 Cj5 not getting ANY electrical power!!! help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1974 Cj5 not getting ANY electrical power!!! help please

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 10-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
yeahihaveaj10
1974 CJ5 

1974 Cj5 not getting ANY electrical power!!! help please

So I went to start my Jeep and nothing happened. I was having some starter issues prior to all this happening so I replaced the starter and still nothing happened. Then I realized none of the electrical worked, no lights, radio or anything. It doesn't have a wiring harness yet. I have recently moved and had to store my Jeep for a few months. I am wondering if it has an ignition module or what the problem could be, because I am 6 hours away and cant look for myself. and no it's not a dead battery lol

yeahihaveaj10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
CSP

Your '74 should have points and no ignition module. A bad ignition module wouldn't take the entire electrical system out anyhow.

Not sure what you mean by it not having a wiring harness. If it doesn't have any wires that would explain why nothing works.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
yeahihaveaj10
1974 CJ5 

It is just wires, no harness or fuses. I just bought it and don't know much about it yet. When I bought it and drove it home everything worked, drove it once a week or so for a month, went to start it and it had no electrical
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
CSP

Unless you can get to it for troubleshooting any guess is just a complete crapshoot.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Have you checked the battery?

B
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
Deeznutz73
1973 CJ5 

Hahahahaha. Not to be a Dic* but that was my first thought. Sometimes you just have to take a breath and realize not everyone is mechanically inclined. Your jeep has a wiring harness, it has to if everything worked when you drove it unless the PO was a complete idiot/genius and had everything on a time delay relay/toggle switch/ignition switch doohickey. Get a multimeter and trace your 12v and make sure its going to the right components. Check the battery and then re post and we'll go from there. If you don't hear a "click" when you turn the key, its most likely your battery or a connection. These things live on grounds and if you let them set, your battery is gonna die.
Unread 10-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Try a different battery
LG
Unread 10-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
yeahihaveaj10
1974 CJ5 

For the 3rd time.. the battery is fine. Trust me, there is NO wiring harness. It has a "toggle switch wire doohicky". Thats why i dont know what the problem is. The battery is brand new its the first thing i replaced, then i started with checking wires and they are all getting power, then i checked grounds and they are all fine..
Unread 10-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

Bad ignition switch? There has to be a place somewhere that you have power on one side and don't on the other.

If there's no harness, its anybody's guess as to how the thing is wired. But if some jack-leg "rewired" it to make it "better" then you may have your work cut out for you.

You may have to draw up your own wiring diagram before you can begin to diagnose it.
And many in between!
MoneypitCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Your CJ has a wiring harness or it wouldn't run. But it may not be in a wire loom with all he proper connections. I think that's where you are confused.

It sounds like your harness has been hacked up good. Don't discount the possibility that something may be draining your battery while the engine is off.

As CSP said, without further diagnoses on your part there are countless possibilities for what may be wrong.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
Deeznutz73
1973 CJ5 

Pictures would help. Also it can't be wired just off a toggle switch. You would need something to cycle the starter or it would burn up, unless you're engaging/diengaging the starter with the toggle switch?Post some pics so we can at least understand what you're dealing with because the description "toggle switch doohickey" does nothing for us to help you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.