1974 CJ5 Half Top? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1974 CJ5 Half Top?

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

1974 CJ5 Half Top?

Hey guys,

I've got a 1974 cj5, currently with a metal top, but I would love the look of the half tops. I can't find anybody that makes or sells such a beast for the '74 though. So the question is this:

Has anyone had any luck finding a halftop for a '74 or similar cj5?

or:

Is there anyway to make a halftop from the later ('76 and up) jeeps work?

Unread 11-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Stumpbumper
1984 CJ7 

I think maybe because you are going to end up with, like, 20ish inches of bed space!

"When in doubt! Gas it out!"
Stumpbumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Metal halfcabs exist. You just have to search for them. Any from 55-75 will fit your Jeep. There's one on ECJ5.com right now for about $300. http://www.earlycj5.com/forums/showt...92283-Half-Cab

If you're talking a vinyl soft half top, those don't exist for a CJ5 and you'll have to custom make something.

This one belongs to one of the members at ECJ5, and it's NOT the one for sale.
zsmithwesson27-2256.jpg  
Unread 11-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpbumper View Post
I think maybe because you are going to end up with, like, 20ish inches of bed space!
Sorry Stumpbumper, but I already know I want one, I wasn't asking for your opinion on the feasibility of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
Metal halfcabs exist. You just have to search for them. Any from 55-75 will fit your Jeep. There's one on ECJ5.com right now for about $300. http://www.earlycj5.com/forums/showt...92283-Half-Cab

If you're talking a vinyl soft half top, those don't exist for a CJ5 and you'll have to custom make something.

This one belongs to one of the members at ECJ5, and it's NOT the one for sale.
Thanks Pathkiller. I've seen the metal tops, but I would really prefer a soft top. I read a rumor that using a later-model windshield would allow me to use a later-model style top. Have you (or anyone) ever heard of this before, or am I falling into a trap?
Unread 11-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
SquidsYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

This is the front have of the whitco Poncho top on my '76. I know there are still a couple around, but mostly the front half like this. One of the early wrangler windjammers, might be able to be retrofitted to work and make it a half cab soft top. I haven't been able to find the fastback half yet, but had planned on just having one made. That is, until I decided to put the jeep up for sale.
SquidsYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
mylittlecj5
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidsYJ View Post
Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

This is the front have of the whitco Poncho top on my '76. I know there are still a couple around, but mostly the front half like this. One of the early wrangler windjammers, might be able to be retrofitted to work and make it a half cab soft top. I haven't been able to find the fastback half yet, but had planned on just having one made. That is, until I decided to put the jeep up for sale.

I have a decent Fastback top here if you still want one, and it is even spice colored. It is a stand-alone part, not an addition to your 1/2 top tho.
Default Jeepers Club #10
mylittlecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittlecj5 View Post
I have a decent Fastback top here if you still want one, and it is even spice colored. It is a stand-alone part, not an addition to your 1/2 top tho.
I might be interested in this too. Do you have any pictures? And what are you asking for it?
Unread 11-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
kirklin
1975 CJ5 

Scout I'd be happy to check that out to if that deal don't work out
kirklin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
SquidsYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

MyLittleCJ5: I'm not in the market, but thanks for the offer. I'll let the new owner decide what they want. Once they decide that they want to buy my CJ5. Someone better decide that they want it soon, or I might forget that I'm trying to sell it.
SquidsYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1974 , cj5 , half cab , halfcab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.