1974 CJ5 Half Top? - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-08-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
scoutboater
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 612
1974 CJ5 Half Top?

Hey guys,

I've got a 1974 cj5, currently with a metal top, but I would love the look of the half tops. I can't find anybody that makes or sells such a beast for the '74 though. So the question is this:

Has anyone had any luck finding a halftop for a '74 or similar cj5?

or:

Is there anyway to make a halftop from the later ('76 and up) jeeps work?



scoutboater is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 11-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Stumpbumper
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Naches
Posts: 175
I think maybe because you are going to end up with, like, 20ish inches of bed space!

1984 CJ7, 258..HEI..MC2100, T176/D300, D30/M20 lockers, lift, warn winch!

"When in doubt! Gas it out!"
Stumpbumper is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 11-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Pathkiller
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lorton
Posts: 2,962
Metal halfcabs exist. You just have to search for them. Any from 55-75 will fit your Jeep. There's one on ECJ5.com right now for about $300. http://www.earlycj5.com/forums/showt...92283-Half-Cab

If you're talking a vinyl soft half top, those don't exist for a CJ5 and you'll have to custom make something.

This one belongs to one of the members at ECJ5, and it's NOT the one for sale.
Attached Thumbnails
zsmithwesson27-2256.jpg  
Pathkiller is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 11-08-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
scoutboater
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpbumper View Post
I think maybe because you are going to end up with, like, 20ish inches of bed space!
Sorry Stumpbumper, but I already know I want one, I wasn't asking for your opinion on the feasibility of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
Metal halfcabs exist. You just have to search for them. Any from 55-75 will fit your Jeep. There's one on ECJ5.com right now for about $300. http://www.earlycj5.com/forums/showt...92283-Half-Cab

If you're talking a vinyl soft half top, those don't exist for a CJ5 and you'll have to custom make something.

This one belongs to one of the members at ECJ5, and it's NOT the one for sale.
Thanks Pathkiller. I've seen the metal tops, but I would really prefer a soft top. I read a rumor that using a later-model windshield would allow me to use a later-model style top. Have you (or anyone) ever heard of this before, or am I falling into a trap?
scoutboater is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 11-08-2011, 07:39 PM
SquidsYJ
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 175
Not sure if this is what you are looking for.


This is the front have of the whitco Poncho top on my '76. I know there are still a couple around, but mostly the front half like this. One of the early wrangler windjammers, might be able to be retrofitted to work and make it a half cab soft top. I haven't been able to find the fastback half yet, but had planned on just having one made. That is, until I decided to put the jeep up for sale.
SquidsYJ is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 11-09-2011, 05:59 AM
mylittlecj5
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bethany
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidsYJ View Post
Not sure if this is what you are looking for.


This is the front have of the whitco Poncho top on my '76. I know there are still a couple around, but mostly the front half like this. One of the early wrangler windjammers, might be able to be retrofitted to work and make it a half cab soft top. I haven't been able to find the fastback half yet, but had planned on just having one made. That is, until I decided to put the jeep up for sale.

I have a decent Fastback top here if you still want one, and it is even spice colored. It is a stand-alone part, not an addition to your 1/2 top tho.

Default Jeepers Club #10
mylittlecj5 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
scoutboater
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittlecj5 View Post
I have a decent Fastback top here if you still want one, and it is even spice colored. It is a stand-alone part, not an addition to your 1/2 top tho.
I might be interested in this too. Do you have any pictures? And what are you asking for it?
scoutboater is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 11-09-2011, 08:34 AM
kirklin
Registered User
1975 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: crystal lake
Posts: 187
Scout I'd be happy to check that out to if that deal don't work out
kirklin is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 11-10-2011, 05:01 PM
SquidsYJ
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 175
MyLittleCJ5: I'm not in the market, but thanks for the offer. I'll let the new owner decide what they want. Once they decide that they want to buy my CJ5. Someone better decide that they want it soon, or I might forget that I'm trying to sell it.
SquidsYJ is offline  
Reply

Tags
1974 , cj5 , half cab , halfcab

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
1974 cj5 toddy1971 Jeep CJ Forum 0 07-23-2011 08:47 PM
1974 CJ5 Value goingtopless Jeep CJ Forum 16 01-01-2008 07:07 AM
1974 J30 omanalansanjr Jeep CJ Forum 0 10-02-2007 01:48 PM
1974 cj 5 cherokeenation Jeep CJ Forum 6 01-15-2003 07:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome