1974 CJ5 258 with Weber 38 - backfiring issues - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1974 CJ5 258 with Weber 38 - backfiring issues

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #46
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Ok boyz, I got bored so I went ahead and swapped in the 2-barrel intake from my '84 donor. Not only was it light as he** but a much happier installation with new gaskets, etc.
Did the old gasoline squirt bottle startup (while waiting for my new Weber 38 adapter) and man.....The thing ran batter on a squirt bottle. I can't wait for the adapter which should come Tuesday or so.
By the way, Matt, Shawn, Vinny and everyone else, you guys rock and thanks again for the help. Jeeps are a great deal of fun and that's why we do what we do even if our wives don't appreciate the time spent!
Cheers! Evan

Unread 02-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #47
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Got the 38 back in with two barrell adapter and WOW!. It started off way too rich with the 55 idle jets so I went back to the 50s with the stock air correcters and main jets. I also put in the F7s and holy sh*t. After resetting timing, idle and mixture screws the engine purrs like a kitten and really comes alive under accelleration. Vinny, you called it just right on the carb mods. Thanks again all. Evan
Unread 02-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #48
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Very nice work, Evan, and thanks for the kind words.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #49
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Thanks Evan. Only paying it forward and repeating what I heard before. Have fun and move on to the next project!!
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #50
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

Anyone in phoenix/arizona area with this carb and want to share their settings? I just installed mine and am seeing ok performance. Checked for air leaks, and getting good vacuum everywhere. The timing is set correctly for my distributor.

What I am noticing is the 2 idle jets don't have a large effect on running. I have the idle speed set, but when I turn in/out the 2 idle mixture screws, I barely hear any difference in running.

Should I follow suit and go with the F7 emulsions? Change the leak jets or air correctors or anything?
dirtdudeaz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #51
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdudeaz View Post
Anyone in phoenix/arizona area with this carb and want to share their settings? I just installed mine and am seeing ok performance. Checked for air leaks, and getting good vacuum everywhere. The timing is set correctly for my distributor.

What I am noticing is the 2 idle jets don't have a large effect on running. I have the idle speed set, but when I turn in/out the 2 idle mixture screws, I barely hear any difference in running.

Should I follow suit and go with the F7 emulsions? Change the leak jets or air correctors or anything?
I'm willing to be that you have 45 idle jets installed. In Phoenix, 50s should do the trick. Just remember that there is a primary and secondary that are physically different. You'll need one of each.

The F-7 emulsion tubes are a powerful upgrade no matter what your elevation is.

I hope that helps.

Shawn
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #52
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

Once I get these in, I will see from there and adjust the mains if needed right? What am I looking for as far as issues and needing to switch the mains?
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #53
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

In my case, I didnt need to switch the mains. I have crap loads of power and accelleration just from changing the idle jets and to the F7s. E
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #54
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdudeaz View Post
Once I get these in, I will see from there and adjust the mains if needed right? What am I looking for as far as issues and needing to switch the mains?
Yes, get your idle circuit squared away, first. The lean best setting will tell you what size is correct.

Then move to the mains. Testing mains/ac/emulsion tube combos is kinda a seat-of-the-pants thing, unless you have a A/F monitor, or a dyno. Install, test drive, and repeat. Keep notes on how each combo performs.

I'd try Shawn's preferred jetting combo, first. What works for him in Vegas should be awfully close for you in Arizona.

Good luck

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #55
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

You guys are awesome, I'll post results once I get everything installed!
Unread 03-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #56
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

Put the tubes and leak jets in. The emulsion tubes really help as everyone has mentioned! I am still working on finding lean-best idle and not sure I can hear/feel much difference when I turn the fuel screws. I am wondering if my idle is too high or I need to go to 55 on the leaks?
Unread 03-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #57
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

If you havent done so already, put a secondary return spring on the throttle. It will help it seat well against the idle speed screw. Warm up your engine and make sure choke is fully open. After you add a spring, unscrew your idle speed screw until you cant see the linkage move at all. Screw it back in no more than 1/2 turn. If you do youll never find lean best. Next turn your idle mixture screws in until they touch lightly. Back them both out 1 3/4 turns. This will most likely be too rich but you should get a nice fast idle. Once you achieve a nice solid idle, loosen your distributor just enough to turn it so it will hold its position. Advance and retard it by tiny amounts and let it catch up before you adjust it again - until the engine runs the best and crank it down. you should still have a nice solid fast idle. Now is where you should try to back the speed screw out until the engine is turning about 700 to 800 rpms or just a normal moderate idle. Turn the idle mix screws in 1/8 turn at a time until the engine starts to starve. Again let the engine catch up and adjust slowly. Once the engine starts to starve, stop and back them out exactly 1/4 turn each. Your done. E
Unread 03-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #58
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Went out to the local management area again this weekend for Turkey Season and I brought my 7 year old out. He had a blast and so did I. The pictures show some pretty tame trails but it's been way off the trails. This Jeep is unstoppable (for now).
2013-03-17-13.57.12.jpg   2013-03-17-12.42.16.jpg   2013-03-17-13.13.37.jpg  
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #59
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Glad to hear someone els have success with that setup! I know that feeling and can't wait to get it back!! (Better be on Friday) enjoy it and my 4 yo loves the pics of your boy and his daddy's Jeepenstein. That's what we call mine. That's livin man
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #60
WBrianS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
*How is the distributor cap oriented in relation to the vacuum canister. Funky question, I know. Hopefully like this:

See how the wire inputs on the cap are nearly on top of the vacuum canister?

Shawn
Why does this matter? I just installed an HEI and it ran like garbage, and I've been searching for an answer and ran across this thread. My cap was on the other notch, and I moved it as Shawn said I should and it runs PERFECT now. I'd timed and re-time and re-re-timed, but moving that cap and re-timing did it. Why? I can't see that it would matter....
WBrianS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.