1974 CJ5 258 with Weber 38 - backfiring issues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1974 CJ5 258 with Weber 38 - backfiring issues

Advance Adapters SYE Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 02-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

If this isn't part of the problem, paint me pink and call me Susan.
Before and after - mocked up.
Now there is no play at all between the crank and the distributor. I'm going to do a RMS tomorrow and oil pan gasket.
I'll let you know how it runs. E

2013-02-02-15.06.10.jpg   2013-02-02-15.34.50.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #17
Joe73CJ5
1973 CJ5 

So can you explain how to test the chain? Do you turn the crank and watch rotor for movement? Thanks
Joe73CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #18
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Yes. Remove the cap on the distributor and turn the crank. If there is more than about 5 degrees of play before the rotor moves, you will have timing issues. When you let off the gas and the chain is slack, the timing will be off by whatever amount of slack you have in your chain thereby causing backfiring/ bad timing. Also, my timing gear had plastic teeth which some say is not a big deal but I think it is just better to get it out and go metal.
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #19
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Holy crap! That's a lot of slop!

I hope that gets you going, and it was great seeing your CJ5 in person the other day.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #20
Joe73CJ5
1973 CJ5 

Thank you. I will have to check mine.
Joe73CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #21
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

http://static.photobucket.com/player.../VIDEO0008.mp4

http://static.photobucket.com/player.../VIDEO0009.mp4

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #22
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Mean Max,
You called it! Crazy slop in the timing chain. I'll tell ya...It can't get any worse after this fix. That's for sure
Thanks Max. You're the man!
E
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #23
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Fired it up today with new RMS, new delco 1-wire, and it ran great. No backfiring at all. It's ready for the trail.
Unread 02-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #24
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Ok spoke too soon. No backfiring but it's hesitating on acceleration from idle. Vinny, I ordered a jet-pack from Weber you'll be pleased to know. I'll let you know how the re-jetting goes.
Unread 02-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #25
TOBYWON
1984 CJ7 

This is an awesome thread, because it (likely) points out issues that many of us have (slack in the timing chain, under-jetted carbs). But, dang, what kind of work/knowledge goes into being able to DIY these two jobs?

I'm experiencing the same symptoms, and was told two years ago, post-rebuild, that I needed to replace the harmonic balancer at some point. Also, and quite timely, I've got a mammoth RMS leak. Could this be a love-story in the making? I mean, can I DIY the chain/balancer myself, whilst swapping in a new RMS and pan gasket?

Also, how would I go about upsizing the jets in my MC2150 carb? I got it from the ebay guy, and she ran fine for a while, but has started bogging down at take-off, and power loss in general. Not sure what size jets it came with (47's?), but I'm pretty sure it's not 50's.

Anyway, any advice you can give, Evan, would be much appreciated - nice job with your rig!

/l , [____],
l---L--OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)----)_)

{{{84' CJ7 RENEGADE / 258 I6 / Nuttered, HEI Dizzy, MC2150 (eBay) w/Manual Choke, MSD 6AL Ignition, Engine Totally Rebuilt in 2010}}}
TOBYWON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #26
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Tobywon, Thanks. These are actually pretty easy repairs if you have a few good tools - namely a harmonic balancer puller and air tools help considerably.
If you are fast, you can probably do it in one day. Most likely though it's a weekend deal. The way I look at repairs and modifications is that you won't be able to discover your limitations until you try first. If you get stuck, there is so much quality (and lousy) information on this forum and on the internet as a whole that really anyone can take on these challenges. Just do your research first, get your parts and come up with a game plan. My three favorite tools are an air ratchet, impact wrench and good quality torque wrench. Just don't use the impact to put anything back on. The rear main seal is a pain but is easy if you approach it following the right steps and don't rush it. Depending on your exhaust setup, you may need to remove your down pipe. You will probably also need to raise the engine prior to removing the oil pan, support it somehow (be creative) and remove the passenger side engine mount to pull the oil pan. It is easier than it sounds but can be frustrating.
I'm happy to answer any specific questions that might arise.
As far as the jets go, I haven't worked on that one specifically. If you can afford the "REDLINE" Weber 38, it's an awesome upgrade (some will argue that the one you have is better). One benefit is that they offer great help over the phone and many jetting options in one kit. Your MC carb may just need a good cleaning, float adjustment, new needle and seat. I know that many of the old carbs are having trouble with the ethanol gas also. Rejetting helps with this.
Best Regards, Evan
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #27
TOBYWON
1984 CJ7 

Hey Evan, thanks! I have a good how-to for the RMS that guys here pointed me to. I know it's time consuming, but I can do it. So, I "can" swap the harmonic balancer and the timing chain when I do the RMS then? And do you have a how-to guide on that? Or can I just trust the service manual? LOL.

/l , [____],
l---L--OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)----)_)

{{{84' CJ7 RENEGADE / 258 I6 / Nuttered, HEI Dizzy, MC2150 (eBay) w/Manual Choke, MSD 6AL Ignition, Engine Totally Rebuilt in 2010}}}
TOBYWON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #28
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Evan,

Nice work on the timing chain. I'm glad that fixed the backfiring.

I'm not convinced your hesitation problem is jetting related, however. The 38's factory jets should run just fine for you in Florida, as they are sized for a sea-level application.

Are your plugs showing a lean idle condition?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #29
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Tobywon, you should be able to just go by the service manual. The only really important thing is t make the dots face each other on the timing gears. You should also verify TDC and make sure it coordinates properly with the distributor. Easy Peasy.
Matt, My jets arrived today. I'll put them in tomorrow and see what happens. My plugs are showing slightly lean. The guy from Weber said they have been having lots of problems because the pump gas is exceeding the 10% ethanol as advertised. We'll see.
Evan
Unread 02-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #30
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Hey all. Ok so I changed out my idle jets to 55s. Im at sea level so based on all the info Ive gathered, I went with 55s after upping from 45s to 50s. It idles perfectly and comes of idle without hesitation. My upper accelleration is a little sluggish though so Im going to upsize my air correcters and running jets again to see what happens. Ill update you once it's done. Its raining hard today so no dice. E

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.