1973 Super Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1973 Super Jeep

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 12-28-2004, 09:21 AM   #1
1973SuperJeep

1973 Super Jeep

Hello Group, I just bought a 1973 CJ5 that I believe is a Super Jeep. It runs great but is in rough shape. I had no idea what a Super Jeep was until I found a photo in a jeep book yesterday. I need help to identify if this is the real deal, and if so, where to get more info. This was just going to be a hunting truck but hate to ruin something historical/collectable. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

1973SuperJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2004, 09:35 AM   #2
CJ5_Fan
1980 CJ5 

My Understanding of the "super jeep" was that it was just a Stars and Stripes decal kit on a normal Jeep.... Other than the normal upgrades such as clock/tach etc, what does the book say is different?
CJ5_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2004, 09:45 AM   #3
1973SuperJeep

The book says there is little known about the Super Jeep, but it created because Jeep could not get enought alloy wheels to keep up with the demand for Renegades that year, hence the plain steel wheels. It said that most had a 4 speed transmission, a larger inline 6 engine and Super Jeep upholstry and of course the stripes. It was a paragraph and a half of the entire book, no other specs.
Unread 12-28-2004, 09:52 AM   #4
custom-cruiser

http://www.goldeneagledecals.com/super.html
85 CJ7-Holley Projection on a 258-Sport seats with 4 point harness-Sealed Battery-8000 lb winch with roller fairlead-Home fab front and rear bumpers-Stainless dress up stuff-31" Wild Country on Aluminum rims-Hard doors and top-
[SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkRed]Soon to be 350 Chevy.[/COLOR].......[/SIZE]
custom-cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2004, 09:55 AM   #5
1973SuperJeep

Thanks!

Thanks Cruiser, I found that site last night, $375 for the stripe kit, unfortunatly new stripes won't cover the rust spots, lol. I found a few other decent photos and even an ad out of a 1973 magazine on ebay, but surprising little other info.
Unread 12-28-2004, 09:59 AM   #6
CJ5_Fan
1980 CJ5 

1973superjeep: Does your find have the original stripes still on it? How about a picture?
Unread 12-28-2004, 10:02 AM   #7
1973SuperJeep

It does except on the hood. How do you post a picture? I am new to this forum stuff.
Unread 12-28-2004, 10:16 AM   #8
1973SuperJeep

Since I can't figure out how to post a photo here I put it on my yahoo profile http://profiles.yahoo.com/lyonshare35 It is in pretty rough shape.
Unread 12-28-2004, 11:39 AM   #9
mistertrustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973SuperJeep
Since I can't figure out how to post a photo here I put it on my yahoo profile http://profiles.yahoo.com/lyonshare35 It is in pretty rough shape.
Nice Jeep....Here ya go

mistertrustee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2004, 12:09 PM   #10
CJ5_Fan
1980 CJ5 

Wow! Not the average Renegade eh? I would think it has little $$$ value over the normal amout for that year jeep, but it sure would be nice to have restored if for no other reason then it's scarcity.....
Unread 12-28-2004, 12:34 PM   #11
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

There's nothing quite like a '73
Unread 12-28-2004, 01:30 PM   #12
custom-cruiser

Pulled from some Jeep site

The 1973 model year brought a very limited CJ-5, the "Super Jeep". This package was promoted during May through July, 1973 as a "mod and colorful showroom traffic builder". It was available in Jetset blue or Champagne white with red and blue stripes or Butterscotch gold, Daisy yellow, Copper tan or Fairway green with orange and white stripes. The Champagne white offering was by far the most popular. The Super Jeep package included full length body stripes, color coordinated 2-tone seats, rubber wheel lip extensions, white trimmed instrument panel pad and sun visors, chrome front bumper and L78x15 white sidewall polyglas tires on 8" steel wheels. It was offered again briefly in 1976. The collection contains a 1973 Super Jeep in the rare Daisy Yellow color scheme.
85 CJ7-Holley Projection on a 258-Sport seats with 4 point harness-Sealed Battery-8000 lb winch with roller fairlead-Home fab front and rear bumpers-Stainless dress up stuff-31" Wild Country on Aluminum rims-Hard doors and top-
[SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkRed]Soon to be 350 Chevy.[/COLOR].......[/SIZE]
custom-cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2004, 06:10 PM   #13
1973SuperJeep

Mistertrustee, THANKS for posting my Jeep picture! As long as I am not going to kill the value of a "classic" collectable then I may continue with my plans to rebuild the way I want. I guess I'll have to think about it for a while. If any body comes across any more info, especially interior photos, I'd sure appreciate them. IN the mean time I am finding the body rust makes for great ventilation! Thanks again to custom-cruiser for the info you found.
Unread 12-28-2004, 06:52 PM   #14
Erik S.

Based on the quote from custom-cruiser, sounds like there is some added value in that Jeep. Sounds like it was a limited production/offering of that Jeep.

Don't know about you, but there are plenty of other Jeeps I would want to modify before I changed this one. Or fish around for some collector interest. You might get your investment back plus some extra.

Go to Early CJ5.com and ask around there. Those guys are super nice, and super knowledgable. I drive a 71, so I float around on the site a fair amount.

Hope this helps.

Erik

Why be smart? When being stupid so much easier!

[url=http://www.twistedsteel4x4.com/forum/index.php?referid=57]Twisted Steel 4x4[/url] Online shop and Bulletin Board. Come check them out. Log on to the Bulletin Board and ask any question you might have.
Erik S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 12:40 AM   #15
mistertrustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973SuperJeep
Mistertrustee, THANKS for posting my Jeep picture! As long as I am not going to kill the value of a "classic" collectable then I may continue with my plans to rebuild the way I want. I guess I'll have to think about it for a while. If any body comes across any more info, especially interior photos, I'd sure appreciate them. IN the mean time I am finding the body rust makes for great ventilation! Thanks again to custom-cruiser for the info you found.

Not a Problem....go to www.photobucket.com and open up a free account, then you can post too.
mistertrustee is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.