1973 CJ5 Trail Rig/Hunting Rig Build - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1973 CJ5 Trail Rig/Hunting Rig Build

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 12-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #106
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

No such thing as a 'Free Jeep'...
They are like 'Free Dogs'! Cost you out the wazoo before it's over!

Good work!

I feel your pain, I got a 'Cheap' '73 CJ-5, nothing but wiring glitches, rust, frame cracks, Rust, PO screw ups, RUST, water damage, RUST, you get the idea...

Draw bar! Love draw bars! Makes me think I'm on the tractor!
Windshield clamps that don't clamp...
Heater & Defroster controls that don't hook up to anything (don't think they did from the factory! ;( )
The motor does make a most annoying noise, which takes you mind off the cold a little...

JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #107
Lifted96ZJ
1973 CJ5 

Got a lot done Friday installing everything I received for xmas

Removing the old crap

Goodbye old, rusted tank

Goodbye old, tired dizzy

Goodbye rusted, busted exhaust

New exhaust flanges

Flanges mocked up

New mufflers mocked up. Still need to finish welding everything and finish the exit location

New HEI Dizzy and 8mm pkug wires

Installing the dizzy

Finished product. I still need to clean up the wires

New tank

Tank installed. Still need to wrap up the filler neck

Overall, very happy right now. Jeep is running 100 times better, sounds better and I can fill the tank above 5 gallons again lol
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #108
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

I hope you plan on tucking those mufflers up higher. if you plan on going offroad at all they will be smashed pretty easily. There should be enough room (barely) to get the pipes above the trans crossmember.

2000 WJ Limited bone stock (Wifes rig)
Rumpeltiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #109
Lifted96ZJ
1973 CJ5 

Yeah they are only mocked up right now. Plus I don't plan on taking it on any really crazy trails other than the rubicon. It's mainly a hunting rig
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #110
Lifted96ZJ
1973 CJ5 

Finished putting the filler neck on the new tank yesterday. Then I finished tucking my exhaust as high up as it could go. Then I moved on to fine tuning the new distributor. Only to finally find my jeep flooding again. Found the real issue. White smoke only from one side of the exhaust.

The one thing I never did was tear down the upper half of the motor and replace head gaskets and the gaskets on the intake manifold. So that's happening next. Plus it will be a good time to re-seal all of the valves because I'm sure they are leaking slowly also. I knew I should have done this when I originally had everything torn down. That's what I get for hoping all would be good. Now I just need to make sure it didn't cause any other real damage that would require a full rebuild. I also know a guy that has a 304 long block with low miles that is willing to either give it to me for free or sell for cheap. If I can get my hands on that I might just rebuild it and toss this motor out the window.

Ahh the perks of owning a jeep!
Unread 04-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #111
Lifted96ZJ
1973 CJ5 

Finally worked on the jeep a little yesterday. Got the carb off and intake manifold off. Only to find small deposits of oily water under the valley pan. So my prediction could be true. Could just be a head gasket issue but my motor could also be close to toast if water has been getting into the piston chambers. Guess I'll find out more when I get the heads off

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.