Haven't updated this in quite a while. I've driven the jeep a few times. It is not smooth from a start. My first inclination is the old *** clutch that's been sitting in it for who knows how long. I've got a brand new clutch kit arriving tomorrow. Going to install on Friday, along with all new seals and gaskets for my leaky dana 20.
Also ordered all new u joints for both driveshafts, yokes look good but the front is a little rusty and will eventually need to be replaced. Also finally ordered a gas tank filler neck so I can fabricate a new setup.
And Friday I'll be ordering the rest of the pre-bent tubing I need to finish the back half of my cage.
Got a wheeling trip set up for September so I'm trying to get it ready for that!
A better update w/pictures will be posted on Friday. It's mainly been sitting in the garage!
Another good update for the weekend. Trans and transfer case are dropped and boy are they disgusting
Getting everything drained, mainly water in both
Old clutch out
New vs old (the throwout bearing difference is great)
New clutch and pressure plate installed
Can't get the trans and transfer case reassembled until my gaskets and seals arrive so I'll be thoroughly cleaning and painting them. New u joints and u joint clamps showed up yesterday, along with a new fuel filler neck and some other miscellaneous parts. Ordered the rest of my cage tubing Friday, next weekend should be a big one with tons to do!
Getting some work done. Little bit at a time. Transmission and transfer case are back in and have a new friend to go along with them. A twin stick conversion kit
Started the fab work on the rest of the cage finally
Fully mocked up
Sealing some of the welds
All in all, it's finally starting to look like a real jeep again. Waiting on my driveshafts to come back from the shop and then it's driveable again. I also have a stinger on the way for me to finish up my front bumper fabrication. Only small issue I have is the throwout bearing lever fell off during the trans installation and I can't get it in the right position with the trans and bellhousing installed. I might have to pull the whole thing to get it situated correctly. Getting closer to trail ready though!
Fixed the clutch issue last night. Unbolted the bellhousing, dropped the trans about 2 inches and pulled it out about a half an inch. Attached the throwout lever and spring, slid the ball in and then reattached the bellhousing and everything was good to go. Replaced the trans/transfercase crossmember bolts with longer ones so I can attach a skid plate to them in the future.
It has been sitting for almost 2 months without being fired and it started up on the first try after I fixed the clutch issue. The only thing I need to do is re-weld the passenger exhaust to re-attach the muffler. I had to cut it to get it back in position and attached to the manifold.
Just waiting on my driveshafts to come back from the shop and she's trail ready!