1973 CJ5 Steering Column - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1973 CJ5 Steering Column

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 01-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
MSRIDER75

1973 CJ5 Steering Column

Guys,
I'm planning to rebuild the steering on my '73 cj5 and am trying to find an aftermarket or original column. Mine is currently retrofitted with something (not original) and has a small diameter steering wheel. As if the steering wasn't squirrly enough I was hoping to put the larger wheel back on to hopefully help some with controlling this manual steering beast as part of the overall upgrade. Any ideas on where to look other than a local scrap yard?? Been on most of the go-to sites as well as ebay and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

MSRIDER75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
taylorjb
1973 CJ5 

Are you looking for just the "school bus" wheel, or the whole column?

Might be a good time to go ahead and upgrade to power steering...it's not a hard swap, you can reuse your current bracket for the box.

Good luck.
Unread 01-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
MSRIDER75

Really just looking for the wheel, but because the adapter has been changed at some point I was told I'd need the cloumn that would fit the larger wheel. The one I have now has a octaganal (8) sided end piece. I think the larger school bus wheels (or at least the one I found) actually has the vertical grooves that slips down over the column end - also with grooves. If what I just said makes any sense......
MSRIDER75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

The earlier style "school bus" wheel won't work on a later style Saginaw (GM) column. If your column has been swapped the wheel won't work on it, the diameter of the shaft and the splines are different.

If you're looking for the entire column, the DJ postal Jeeps and Jeepster Commando both used the same, or a similar type of column.

And swapping to power steering has nothing to do with the column. You can use any type of column you want as long as you use a lower steering shaft that matches the steering box.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.