1973 CJ5 Power Steering Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1973 CJ5 Power Steering Upgrade

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 10-28-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
xport
1973 CJ5 

1973 CJ5 Power Steering Upgrade

Add power steering to 1973 Jeep CJ5 with a 6 cyl. 258 amc engine.
This year CJ5 is considered the Superjeep if that matters. Prior to this upgrade I only had one belt from crank to fan to alternator. Alternator is mounted on driver’s side of engine.

1- Purchased new Saginaw power steering gear box and pump from Napa auto parts -$210. PS pump is the tear drop type - purchased a universal PS hose kit listed in Napa book for this year jeep. Purchased new chrome pulley from Napa $35 (same as salvage price). Purchased PS dip stick/cap at salvage.

2. Power steering gear box was a direct swap out - mounted in same three holes as old gear box, must replace pitman arm with new PS pitman arm (inside diameter of hole is different) PS hose ends use adapters included in pack- the adapters are pre-bent but needs to be bent a little more to clear (mine has a 1" body lift so it made it easier) - insert round screw driver inside tube and start to bend a little without pinching.

3. Purchase new power steering bell coupler to mate steering shaft to new gear box (output shaft on PS gear box is larger). New bell coupler allows you to use existing steering shaft. Some might consider ugrading, the bell coupler to u-joint …but I do not see the point.

Now the gear box is swapped out and all hoses are hooked up, it is time to start installing the PS pump.
1. Purchase (from salvage) a pulley to bolt onto the harmonic balancer “crank” pulley. Three 5/16” bolts x 1” long (standard thread) and lock washers are needed to mount pulley to existing crank pulley. Now you have an extra pulley to drive the power steering pump.
2. Power steering pump installation is the hard part. Stock brackets are not available in salvage yards to mount the power steering pump to engine. I looked for weeks before deciding to make my own. I mounted the PS unit on the passenger side of engine. I made the brackets with limited metal work abilities . I have a mig welder but did not end up needing it. I purchased a long chrome alternator arm from Napa (Mr. Gasket Co. #9851) for stock metal to make the bracket. I also used a small piece of angle iron. Purchase 3/8” bolts, nuts, lock washers to mount PS pump. See pictures attached. I used a 3/8” thick nut between new bracket and the pump to shim PS pump away from radiator – this should make both pulleys line up. Measure distance from crank pulley to engine cover and check that PS pump pulley is the same. Shim if required. Use 44 5/8” belt. Connect PS hoses to pump. Fill with fluid and check for leaks.

Written by newbie author/mechanic – for the Jeep community. Hope this post saves somebody a whole lot of time. Once I noticed that this info was not available anywhere online… I thought I would change that. Have questions or comments send to Dan at xportnetworks@gmail
http://picasaweb.google.com/Xportnet...JeepPSUpgrade#

xport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

not trying to be too critical, but do you have only the one bracket supporting the pump ?
from the pics I can't really tell.
I don't think one will be strong enough.
chromegrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
xport
1973 CJ5 

There are two brackets one on top and one on bottom

There are two brackets one on top and one on bottom, it seems strong and holds belt tension well. - If you have run across a better one please let me know i would consider buying it, but for know until my skills get better it will do.
Unread 10-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
xport
1973 CJ5 

I added a better pic of both brackets.

Thanks for the feedback!
Unread 04-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
dbarnhart4
1970 CJ5 

i would say just get the brackets for a straight six, both steering columns, upper and lower, and a steering box
dbarnhart4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
alex1974cj5
1974 CJ5 

hey i have a 1974 cj5 same engine and was wondering if you you had the part numbers from all the parts you used?
thanks
alex1974cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
CSP

Just an FYI that this application is really just for those with the '72-73 CJ's with the straight six that has the alternator on the drivers side.

For those with the alternator on the passenger side (74 and newer straight six), you can readily find the pump brackets off any other CJ with power steering or any AMC Eagle with the same straight six.

Nice job coming up with your own solution to the pump mounting problem xport!
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Ditto! The '72/'73 can be a REAL pain in the butt to mount the pump on!

I like to see more bracing, and you can do that as you go, but all in all, FINE JOB!

I lucked out, I had a V-8, and everything from newer Jeep just fell in place for me!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Ale8047870

Can you repost the photo's of the brackets?
Ale8047870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
OneEyedHero13
1973 CJ5 

Do you have part numbers for the pulleys and or what did you get the crank pulley off of?
OneEyedHero13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.