1973 CJ5 Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1973 CJ5 Help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 04-13-2008, 02:23 AM   #1
bluedchrome
1973 CJ5 

1973 CJ5 Help

I've been looking at getting a lift ever since I got my Jeep. Went wheeling last week and rubbed rear tires BAD even though I was extremely careful (went through some mud and fell into some dry deep ruts after), as it cracked the paint and bent rear fenders. Time for a lift, lol. I don't want to get a 3 or 4" lift because of dropped p-arms, t-case, etc. I was looking at getting a 2.5 Rancho or maybe Skyjacker but was wondering if anyone can sway my mind one way or the other. Another thing- the PO put Rancho 5000 series shocks on, so can I find a 2.5 kit w/ just springs, bolts, etc.? I don't see a need to replace them since they are less than 3 years old, they check out and it still rides great. I was also thinking a P.A. 1 or maybe 2 inch body lift, with a 1/2 or 3/4 inch shackle lift along with the 2.5. Any trouble with this? Thanks!

Unread 04-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
ReconRabbit
1983 CJ7 

Well in the long run a 4 inch lift would be easier to do than a 2.5, body lift, and shackle lift. If you really don't want to go with the 4" lift, maybe do the 2.5" and trim some of those fenders now that they're all beat up. Don't forget to lower those bumpstops.......
Unread 04-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
pappa-g
1978 CJ5 

A body lift is cheap but keep in mind it will mess up your clutch linkage and unless you are sitting on your gas tank you will have to lengthen the filler neck. If it were me I would go with the new springs. Just my 2 cents.
Best of luck ~ Pappa-g
[COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]'78 Black Golden Eagle[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR="Black"] Build a man a fire and he's warm for a few hours but [I]set[/I] a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life![/COLOR]

[U][B][COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="2"]Listen... Do you smell something?[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/U]
pappa-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 12:57 AM   #4
T18A
1977 CJ5 

----------

Last edited by T18A; 05-14-2008 at 01:27 AM..
T18A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I'm running a '73 CJ-5 on 31" aggressive tread tires with stock (useless) springs and I have the same problem...

I just ordered a set of Rusty's 3" lift springs, should compress to about 2" lift, and I'm going with a 1.5" body lift....

The absolute best way to do things is to lengthen the frame front and rear, extend or build on to the cross members, and use YJ springs that are both wider and longer, making for more spring flex...

Since I don't want to screw up my pinion angle or steering geometry I'm staying with a VERY mild lift (3" is about the smallest lift I could find in stock springs for a V-8 jeep) and then hike up the body a little...

If you do more than about 2.5" on suspension, you will run into steering problems, bump steer, odd tracking, loss of return to center (Caster), and with such a short vehicle, you can run into drive line problems,
Drive shafts at too steep of angles, and pinion angles out of kilter...

If you do more than about 1.5" of body lift, you start finding problems like steering shaft linkages getting into a bind, and you get top heavy FAST...

SO, if you can, keep the spring lift to a minimum,
STAY AWAY FROM SHACKLE LIFT, it only screws up your steering a pinion angles,
and do a mild body lift...

I'll let you know how it turns out!
--------------------------------------------

If yo don't mind rebuilding your steering, lowered pitman arm, fresh linkages, ect.,
You may want to consider an SOA or Spring Over Axle.
Right now your springs are UNDER the axles. With an SOA kit, you move the axle to below the springs...
Which presents it's own problems, like the need to extend brake lines and stuff like that...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.