1973 Cj5? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1973 Cj5?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 02-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
seagrave
1997 TJ Wrangler 

1973 Cj5?

Does anyone know if the 73 CJ5 came with the toolbox under the passenger seat. If it did was it an option? I am looking to buy one, however, there is no toolbox under the passenger seat. I was wondering if it was a true 73.

seagrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
incynr8
1974 CJ5 

as far as I know it should have the toolbox like the 74
incynr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
6leafclover
1974 CJ5 

My 74s got it idk about 73 but from what I hear it wasent an option all of em had it but i could be wrong ive just never heard of one not having it, try lookin at other things to decifer what it is such as windshield they were straight up on the older jeeps and also the wiper motor was on the outside under a cover and the windshield hinges are also very differant on an intermediate cj5, check the vin as well not the one on the dash but the one on the firewall under the hood i saw this because when i got mine the vin on the dash was from a 76 since they swaped the dash out but the one on the firewall was completly right and you can do a search on here do find out how to decifer the vin, also check out www.earlycj5.com they have some great info on there about the older cj5s look in the technical library and click windshield differances and the other articles that they have that should give you some idea
6leafclover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

There is 'Storeage' under the passenger seat on a '73...
Didn't come with a 'Tool Box' in that storage, if that is what you are asking.

Not an option, all CJ's had it. Some have been covered over and some have been 'Removed' for taller seats down though the years, but they all had the storage area under the passenger seat...

That storage compartment is a hold over from the military jeeps, and it's MIGHTY HANDY!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
6leafclover
1974 CJ5 

Yes MIGHTY HANDY Its what holds my tow strap and all trail tools and whatever else i could think to throw in there, its great, if you figure out that it is in fact a 73 maybe like jeephammer said its been removed or covered over or it could possibly be a 76 or newer (im pretty sure thats when they stoped useing them) i know my brothers 80 doesent have one and i think they were all the same from 76 and up till the YJ, I would really do some reasearch on that link i sent you that will at least tell you if its a early cj an intermediate cj or the later cj, your going to mainly look at the windshield because i think the body tub is basicly the same through the years maybe just little changes but the windshields were quite differant
Unread 02-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
Fletch8672
1975 CJ5 

My 75 CJ5 has a 'storage' box under the passenger seat. I'm pretty sure that they discontinued them in 76 when the newer body came out. Since I don't have a glove box per se, my storage doubles as such. Sometimes a PITA to get to but I'm not in it everyday....
~Black Jeep Society~
Fletch8672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Ditto. My 73 has one
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
mylittlecj5
1974 CJ5 

my '74 has one for the moment. It will be removed since the seats I have won't allow its use, and the new seat mounts (tied into the roll cage) will probably need the room.

Besides it fills with mud every time I mud bog it (go figure)
Default Jeepers Club #10
mylittlecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
seagrave
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you all. My 74 has it under the pass seat and I thought that all the 73's had them as well. The 73 I am buy does not have it at all. I am actually buyung it for parts. It has the 72-75 windshield however not attached. I need the Windshield and top off of it.The thing that baffled me is that it has a 76 dash and no storage under the pass seat.The guy I am buying it from says it is a 73 with a 76 dash. I guess I need to ask again. Thank you for all your help.
seagrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
6leafclover
1974 CJ5 

I would def ask him again when i got mine they told me it was a 76 then i got it and started doing research and found out that it was definatly not a 76 but i dident know what it was for sure until i checked the vin under the hood mine too has a dash from a 76 and thats the vin and info that the guy selling it was going by, if i was you i would check the vin under the hood and decifer it and then see what it really is

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.