1973 Cj5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1973 Cj5

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 04-11-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
Skeg

1973 Cj5

Hi im jon my first post, and i would like a few pointers tips mayb what i should do next about this. My friend is selling a '73 Cj5 it has 10K on it it was farm kept no body cracks on the body and the carb needs either replacement or a rebuild. Im not to good with all the knowings of an engine and i was wondering what would i have to do to make this thing be rideable on the road its an 8 cyl and has powersteering upgrade. The price he said 1500 so is that a good price?

Skeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
Skeg

Please could All of your insight is much appreciated
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
earlycj5

Good price? Probably, that depends on the condition of the tub, what needs to be done mechanically, what it's worth to you, etc.

The 304 w/ a 2100 is a nice combination in a CJ-5. Drivetrain is relatively stout. Carb is easy to rebuild and a keeper for sure.

Pictures would certainly help us assess the worth of the vehicle.

Location is a HUGE factor in price as well, USA isn't very descriptive as values vary widely across the US.
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
Skeg

I live in eastern NJ ill be taking this puppy out on the beach to surf and plow during the winter. its got a bikini top and the door hinges i belive are rusted out but its been sitting for a few years what does 304 w/ 2100 mean moter size? sorry im just new and really want to learn
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
earlycj5

304 = AMC 304 CID V8
2100 = Motorcraft 2100 Carburetor

That's a pretty good price for your area I'd guess, someone here who lives near there would be a better judge than I am. Around here it'd be a pretty good price (without seeing pictures that is.)
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
Skeg

I was told to buy a 4 barrel carb for it what eles whould i have to do to have a 4 barrel carb because that would Rip i belive
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:30 AM   #7
Skeg

Ohh heres a side note does anyone know of any manufactures make Hard tops for these bad boys?
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
earlycj5

You can buy used hard tops for them. Most are steel, some are fiberglass. For top fitment see my page here:
http://earlycj5.com/tech/body/#twentynine

4bbl? The 2100 is a VERY good carburetor for this application, a 304 is a pretty small engine so unless you put a rather small carburetor, the Truck Avenger 470 comes to mind quickly, you won't see any real benefit.

I'm not a fan of just changing stuff just because someone suggested it. You haven't even driven this vehicle by the sound of it. A 304 with a 2100 is no slouch. JMO, YMMV, blah, blah, blah.
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
Heepajeep

a 4bbl carb will require a different intake, throttle linkage changes and drink more $3/gal gas.

Does it already have a plow on it? If those 10k miles were used for plowing snow since 1973 off the farm, it could be real religous underneath.

If you have to add a plow, your looking at some big bucks if you can't find a used one to put on it.
Heepajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
Skeg

I got a used one to put on it with linkage and everything for like 300bucks and thanks for the info on the carb honestly how hard will it b to rebuild?
Unread 04-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #11
earlycj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeg
I got a used one to put on it with linkage and everything for like 300bucks and thanks for the info on the carb honestly how hard will it b to rebuild?
They're cake as far as carbs go to rebuild. Some of the easiest to rebuild. Spot on reliable. Almost as good as fuel injection for trail use.
Unread 04-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #12
Skeg

How you guys think this will b on the road as an actual primary vehicle? I read the average mph thread but i was wondering may from someone who has one stock might know?
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #13
earlycj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeg
How you guys think this will b on the road as an actual primary vehicle? I read the average mph thread but i was wondering may from someone who has one stock might know?
It'll keep up with traffic with ease. Just make sure your steering is in good order and brakes are better.

Remember it's WB is even shorter than a CJ-7 or Wrangler, drive accordingly.
Unread 04-11-2007, 11:16 PM   #14
Skeg

how are they with mpg thats what im really worried about ya know im 17 would i b able to keep gas in it at 2.50 somthing a gallon ya know?
Unread 04-12-2007, 08:23 AM   #15
earlycj5

I'd expect lower teens at best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.