1971 CJ5 Steering Box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1971 CJ5 Steering Box

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
Nuggie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

1971 CJ5 Steering Box

Help guys my steering box needs replaced and I have not been able to find one anywhere. Any ideas would be appreciated. It is a 1971 CJ5 with a V6 three speed transmission. It is not power steering. Email me at ewaits@ec.rr.com

Nuggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie
Help guys my steering box needs replaced and I have not been able to find one anywhere. Any ideas would be appreciated. It is a 1971 CJ5 with a V6 three speed transmission. It is not power steering. Email me at ewaits@ec.rr.com
Check Redhead steering gears online in Seattle.
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
pritchaj2000
1972 CJ5 

Does the '71 use the same box as the '72? I got a new one for my '72 from NAPPA.

Build thread: http://www.earlycj5.net/forums/showthread.php?78780-1972-CJ-5-Almost-Restoration
pritchaj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

41-71 CJ's use a Ross steering box that is integral with the steering column-totally different from 72 and newer Jeeps.
There are rebuild parts available, but AFAIK no one sells rebuilt units.
The Ross box is a pretty primitive design dating back to the early 1940's. If you plan to keep the Jeep stock, it will be OK as long as all components are in good shape. If you plan a lift & big tires, you should consider a Saginaw steering swap-this is a common mod on early CJ's. Check out the pics here-
http://www.earlycj5.net/forums/showt...ease-add-yours!!
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Learn something everyday. I did not realize they used the same system for so long. The Redhead site list's from "70's" up, so I assume it's the saginaw box up. The link you provided is very insightful.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
SalvagedManhood
1971 CJ5 

Nuggie, how did things work out? I've got a 71 Cj5 withe the dauntless 225 V6 and the Ross box has started giving me some issues. Actually, the steering gets tight and when I try to force it I hear a loud creak in the steering column. Everyone says the box is wearing out... Not sure.
SalvagedManhood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
Mace350
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I rebuilt my steering box with all new parts from Walks http://walcks4wd.com/fuel/fuel-pumps-kits-spacers.html

Here is the thread I used for the rebuild http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...1963-a-757027/
Mace350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

I replace everything onto Ross steering with Saginaw pulled off a 231 sunbird
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.