1970 CJ-5 Dauntless V-6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1970 CJ-5 Dauntless V-6

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-22-2002, 05:38 PM   #1
frontlander

1970 CJ-5 Dauntless V-6

Howdy fellows. I've been scoping out a '70 Kaiser CJ-5 that a guy has for sale. The engine is the Buick V-6 with an Offenhauser intake (is this a good thing?) It has a 3 spd. transmission and the Warn Overdrive. Hubs are Warn. There is also an older Warn 6000 lb. winch on a nice custom front bumper. Mileage is 68,481 original. The tires are 31" mud and snow on chrome wheels. The rear bumper has a tire carrier and a trailer hitch. There is also a brand new tow bar with wiring that the owner hasn't installed. There is one fuel tank under the driver's seat and two other factory installed auxillary tanks on either side of the rear of the Jeep. There is also a nifty storage compartment beneath the passenger's seat that is revealed when the seat is tilted forward. The top is a Loomis BestTop soft top. Body is very good with no rust and the original paint (sort of a teal green) is lightly faded. The interior floor has been Rhino lined. I fired the engine up and it started on the first crank (air temperature was 20 degrees) but ran terrible (had to be choked to keep it running, probably gunked up fuel filter, carb and 2 year old gas in the tank). I didn't have time to take it for a test drive but will in a few days. Everthing seemed tight (steering components and u joints) and the owner said he had all new ball joints, bushings, leaf springs installed when he bought the Jeep 2 years ago. He is wanting $4200 for this Jeep. Is this a fair price. It seems high to me but perhaps the Kaiser V-6 Jeeps are more desireable than other CJs. Would $3500 be a fair price? What else should I look for on this Jeep? How can I tell if the Dana 44 rear axle is a one piece or two piece? Thanks in advance for any help provided.

frontlander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2002, 08:38 PM   #2
55-willys

sounds like a great price. what are you waiting for. the 44 rear is more than likely a 2 piece. you can check by looking at the center of the hub. if theres a small cap at the ednd of the axle, well then its a two piece. under that cap is a large nut. i have a 55 willys with the two piece axles and with a lock-right in the rear and a 350 chevy engine have never had problems. these hubs are on a tapper and if torqued right will never come off, not like the later year cjs. youll need to buy a speacial heavy duty puller to remove the hubs, to do the seals and shimming. but you can find one on ebay for around $65.00. as for the V-6 this is all the engine needed for cj. plently of torque and able to turn a descent rpm. there are plently of sites you can find that will tell you just what you have. theres a formun just for the older V-6 jeeps. and the warn overdrive is worth about $900.00 they sell hem frm time to time on ebay for $500.00 to $600.00 i have one on my jeep and use it all the time. its good for 500 rpm in any gear. so you can run 2200 rpm on the highway at 60 or 65 mph. and with a three speed tranny you have 12 foward gears and 4 revearse gears. parts are plentiful for these older jeeps, and prices arent to bad.
Unread 10-23-2002, 09:57 AM   #3
Scorpion

Sounds like a lot of goodies on that '70 and probably worth all of the $4200 he's asking. If you can get it for less it would be an even better deal. How it runs is important though so I do recommend taking it out for a test drive. It wouldn't hurt you to fill one of the tanks with a couple of gallons of fresh gas while your out to see if it helps any. In my opinion, if all it needs is a tune up, the price is right. If it needs more (valve job or other), the price is a little high.

3 tanks? I've never seen one but I've probably not seen enough to know better. I'd say that's pretty darn cool if you ask me...
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.