1969 CJ5 Overheating HELP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1969 CJ5 Overheating HELP!!!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
wlo2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

1969 CJ5 Overheating HELP!!!

Hey everyone, my girlfriend and I recently purchased a '69 CJ5 V6 225. After a few days and a few parts, we got it started. It haden't run since 2000. After 5 minutes, the temp guage indicates it is hot. It doesnt appear to run any different or sound different, but after 10 minutes, the radiator starts overflowing and smoke goes everywhere. I am in school and in the military and don't have the money to bring it to someone to diagnose the issue. I also want to learn the systems so I can work on it myself. What could it possibly be? It isn't leaking anywhere and I know the bottom end was rebuilt just before the Jeep was stored. It has a minor exhaust leak just off the engine, but I don't think its major. If anyone has any ideas, or tricks, please let me know!
Thank you!!!

wlo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
69willys
1969 CJ5 

I have the same exact Jeep.... When this happened to me I found all the water jacket Ports were plugged with deposit build up. The Jeep dosnt make many different sounds or distinct engine noise when this happens. Until it starts to Miss and stutter when it gets to much for it to handle. Id do an engine flush maybe. coolant is probably not flowing correctly around and in the block so is probably slow flowing around the temp censor so it reads hot quickly then the rest of the motor catches up once the temp issue overruns the ability for it to stay cool. Also my motor sat for awhile to be sure to run Lucas through it to help shield some of youre components, cylenders and especially seals. The kit to do a flush is about 20 dollars from my experience. I have to rebuild my engine now so ill post anything I learn to the rebuild thread im starting may help you may not but please if you see something you know the answer to don't be affraid to keep me on track. Us odd fires have to stick together hahs :-)
69willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
69willys
1969 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69willys

High temp relooked at for 225 owner
Here's a little of what was talked about when I asked a similar, although not completely the same type question. Also is your fan a clutch type... See if it is engaging. Good, luck

Quote:
I have noticed i'm getting hotter then I like at highway speeds anything over 65. Seems to get the 225 v6 hot. A couple of things I know I'll need to check up and install later down the road is getting a warn over drive to kill the high rpms also helping me get better offroad gearing in mid gear ranges, a fan shroud and maybe a flex fan with a wider diameter. I have a 3 core radiator I want to add a core i'm not sure about price?

What are some ideas you guys might have? Am I thinking in the right direction? I want to keep the v6 I love this engine so I want to keep her in one piece?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshooter
A couple of questions: What troubleshooting have you done to this point?

What temp rating is the installed thermostat? Have you measured the actual temperature with something other than the OEM temp gauge? How old is the anti-freeze and is the level full? When was the last time the cooling system was flushed? Have you checked the radiator for obstructions? Does the fan have a clutch? Has this change occurred suddenly or is it something that has been progressively becoming worse?

Good Luck.....
Quote:
The thermostat is a fail safe opens at 185-190 from what the gentlemen at Oriely explained from the part number on the receipt from the last owner had installed. I did a complete flush in august engine, looks great in and around water ports behind the new water pump. And no I'm using the OEM gauge. I don't have cooling issues tell I'm really reved up or at highway speeds. I never budge above 205 deg. tell then and its been this way sense I purchased it in august.

Its not a huge issue I'm not having boil overs and such just want to cool it down sense ill be traveling fair amounts of distance to fly fishing spots and trails this year.

I will buy a thermotere to see just how hot I'm getting
[quote="69willys"]
s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshooter
You may just be seeing a differential in the actual temp and the indication on the gauge. 205 is not hot in automotive terms and the gauge could certainly be off 20 to 15 degrees. For that matter the thermostat may not be fully open until 195.

No harm in being sure. Excessive heat is no one's friend when it comes to your engine. A three core radiator should be more than enough for your V6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch1200
I found my temps went up alot on my 304 when I busted the rad shroud. I was crossing a stream and a stick bent the fan. Try a shroud. should be cheap enough, or make an kinda something..
Quote:

I do not have a shroud that is definitely a place to start. Easy enough to build one to i'm sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by NExOBLIVISCARIS
your v6 can survive going 5k for extended periods of time? u must have one hell of an engine!
High temp relooked at for 225 owner
69willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 05:34 AM   #4
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Have you checked the thermostat? Sounds to me like it's stuck closed.
colojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
wlo2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Broke the thermostat with a screwdriver. Still overheating.
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
wlo2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Here's a little of what was talked about when I asked a similar, although not completely the same type question. Also is your fan a clutch type... See if it is engaging. Good, luck
Thank you for all of the info! I will look into it ASAP! I have been out on deployment so I haven't been able to touch the cj.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.