1969 cj5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1969 cj5

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
Litlgar

1969 cj5

I haven't owned a jeep before, but i would like to buy something to cruise the ranch with the kids. i found a 69 with good body, but i would like to know if I can upgrade it pretty easily. nothing to fancy, just some bigger tires, maybe a larger engine (would like to be able to drive onroad as well). no rock climbing or anything severe, just cruising with the kids.

what do ya'll think, should i look for something newer/bigger or could i fix this up to what I'm lookin for?

any pictures or lists of upgrades that someone has done would be greatly appreciated

thanks for the advice.

Litlgar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

What engine does it currently have? If it's the Dauntless V6 there are very few engines I would consider an "upgrade" unless it was a Buick 350, which is a relatively easy swap. If it's the F-134 they highway will not be your friend, but cruising the ranch would be ideal.

There are plenty of companies that make lift springs ranging from 1" to 4", which is the highest I would ever go with a CJ-5 anyway. Even stock you can probably fit 32" tires without much rubbing. 2.5" or 3" springs with 33"s is a nice combination, which is what I'm running on my 74.
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
47redwillys
1967 CJ5 

I have a 67 CJ5 with the V6 in it because I always wanted one. If you are looking for something to drive and nostalgia has nothing to do with it it is more economical to buy something newer. Typically with an old CJ5 the brakes and steering if stock can leave something to be desired--especially considering the safety aspects if hauling your kids around. Parts are harder to come by for the older ones too. Like I said I have always wanted one so I'm good with the work and expense of replacing all the worn out stuff but, if you want a driver and not a project you can find good Jeeps around 3 to $4K.
47redwillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
Litlgar

I think it has the f-134, read somewhere there was a an overdrive add-on that might help with the highway. any idea if it would be worth it.

thanks for the info on the lift, would the small engine handle the lift/bigger tires (dont know the gears)?

the price is very low and the body is in great shape, just needs painting and some dash cleanup. they coated the interior in bedliner which is perfect for us. I don't mind doing the work and adding parts - brakes, lifts, trannys, axles, just wanted to know if the parts are readily available. I'm plannin on lookin for some parts tonight.

thanks for the insights and I'll try to post some pics this weekend.
Unread 05-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

If your a big guy and want to haul family around, don't get a CJ5 get a CJ7 or a YJ. I'm 6 ft. and "a little portley", so the leg room and belly to steering wheel ratio is, (How should I put this?) a little tight!

I've moved my rear axel back 4" along with the side panels of the tub for more leg room, you don't want to go through that hassel! Also, this Jeep has turned into a major "money pit", OH WELL!
my-jeep-earl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

If you go for it, overdrives were made by Warn for the D18 T/C and now by Advanced Adapters under the "Saturn" name.

You'll need to know the input tooth count of the D18 (26 or 29) and spline count of the tranny output shaft (6 or 10) in the Jeep. Be perpared to pay $600-$800 for used and $900-$1000 for new, is it worth it?
Unread 05-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
Litlgar

thanks for the advice, I am a pretty big guy, but my wife had a 5 when she was a kid and she really likes it.

also, thanks for the info on the overdrive. dont know what i'll do yet.
Unread 05-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgar View Post
thanks for the advice, I am a pretty big guy, but my wife had a 5 when she was a kid and she really likes it.

also, thanks for the info on the overdrive. dont know what i'll do yet.
"When she was a kid" ("little" kid).
Unread 05-22-2009, 07:10 AM   #9
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

I always have to laugh when I hear fat guys say a CJ5 is too small so you should get a CJ7. It's easier to buy a different Jeep than to lose weight?
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
I always have to laugh when I hear fat guys say a CJ5 is too small so you should get a CJ7. It's easier to buy a different Jeep than to lose weight?
Hey-hey! Portley is not exactly a "fat guy", the main reason is, I don't like my knees up around the steering wheel, (plus, I had my hip replaced) not fun!

My son has a YJ, no problem, CJ5, alot smaller!
Unread 05-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #11
papaj
1979 CJ5 

I practically lived in a 71 CJ5 for 10 years + (74-85)- great jeep and I was skinny then. If I remember there was more room to the wheel than with the later cj's, but I could be wrong. I do know it was a tuff jeep. Rolled it twice (lucky enough in sand), just push it back over and go! Had the 225 V6- best engine.
The steering box stunk- had to replace that bushing every year. Why they put the brake master cylinder under the floor is beyond me. Broke a clutch cable going thru Kebler pass Colo and had to shift without the clutch till I finally found the part near Denver.
Sure had fun!!!!!
papaj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

double post

Last edited by my-jeep-earl; 05-22-2009 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: double post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.