1969 cj-5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1969 cj-5

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
EtownMedic
2005 LJ Wrangler 

1969 cj-5

I know there are probably 100 different threads on this, but I am kind of on short notice. Found a 1969 CJ-5 thats rough but runs for $1000. It has a 225 V-6 that runs but wont hold oil pressure. This would be my first project and am honestly not that handy with welding or metal work. Any feedback, comments, or concerns as to weather I should or should not buy this would be great. Thanks

EtownMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
mashunitjeep
1972 CJ5 

have u done a compression check? also if it uses the electric oil sending unit it might be shot but i would check the compression and get a mech oil gauge and check it out if all is bad i would say still get it those 225s are not hard to find and rebuilds are pretty cheap and the tub and other parts are worth the $1000 even if you need a new motor
Unread 11-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Stumpbumper
1984 CJ7 

225 is a great engine. I have seen many with extremely low pressure at idle and last forever. I agree with putting on a mechanical gauge!
You will learn a lot with that project. 225's are odd fire engines. If original it would have the 3 speed and Spicer 18 transfercase and the offset D44 rearend. Those are good little jeeps!

"When in doubt! Gas it out!"
Stumpbumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
EtownMedic
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for help. Im going to look at it monday for te first time. Any Other big problems i should look for? Ill post the pics i have when i get back to a computer
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
EtownMedic
2005 LJ Wrangler 

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/2676934363.html

This is the ad on craigslist that has 2 pics of the body. I can't figure out how to add pics on here. I have a couple of the top of the tranny and engine pics.
Unread 11-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

If the floor boards and frame aren't rusted out, go for it! The body doesn't look that bad, it would be a great project. Good Luck
my-jeep-earl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 05:17 AM   #7
mashunitjeep
1972 CJ5 

grab it
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:01 AM   #8
george29223
1978 CJ5 

yeah not bad i would get it
george29223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #9
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you plan on staying in town and no highway travel... bang around town... or trail riding than yes... tons of fun... I have a restored 65... completely stock. get a catalog from http://www.kaiserwillys.com/ and have your paycheck direct deposited to them... without an over drive you are limited to a top speed of maybe 55-60 MPH...

'04 TJ... '65 CJ5(sold :( )... 89' Int. Harvester Toter!
j_bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.