1966 Tuxedo Park two piece hubcaps intallation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1966 Tuxedo Park two piece hubcaps intallation

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Alexjeep66

1966 Tuxedo Park two piece hubcaps intallation

Can anyone tell me how to install the two piece hubcaps for a 1966 Tuxedo Park CJ-5? There is the center moon cap and the outer beauty ring. It looks like the outside ring takes some sort of clips to hold it on? Any photos or info would be a great help. Attached is a link to a photo of a CJ-5 wheel with the two piece style hubcap installed.

Alexjeep66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

I think the rims themselves have raised areas that the caps snap on to. I have heard the raised areas called "bums."
Unread 10-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Barneysjeeppart

The outer beauty rims take 5 large clips per rim. Each is part # 943973. The center cap snaps on the rim. WARNING for those purchasing the moon caps: There are 2 diffeent sizes of them different only by an 1/8 inch. The smaller ones will not snap onto the rim requiring the larger. This is a vendor difference and has nothing to do with the color combo or CJ vs DJ, etc. - Barney
Barneysjeeppart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Barneysjeeppart

I wrote this for another forum or individual, so I'm offering it here...

Dog Dish were available through the dealerships for the 15" rims starting around 1963 with the advent of the J-series. You could obtain them for CJs also. My 62-73 parts book shows them along with the full hub caps. The 62 - 73 book shows both the Blue/red and the Gold/red logos available for both the f4 and V6, but it was generally known that the Gold/red went with the V6 and the Blue/red on the f4, neither of which were offered after 1971. They were usually found on the Tuxedo Park and a good example is if you can find the movie of Elvis and girlfriend driving around in his and her CJ5 Tuxes, one in a blue and one in a red. If you wanted full hub caps, you could order the spoke beauty rings to go with the dog dish which was troublesome as the beauty rings required 5 mounting clips each. When I purchased my 73 CJ5 new from Thorpe's Jeep in Sacramento, you could only get the full hub cap, also shown in the -73 book as part # 999878. All of the above required a cap without the center trademark for the front if you had manual hubs. WARNING to those shopping these: there were 2 sizes of them in both color options. The smaller, which is only about an 1/8" difference, will not snap onto the rim requiring the larger one. As both offered front with lockout holes, the difference cannot be attributed to the smaller being dedicated to DJs with 4-lug wheels. More likely, it is agreed that this was due to different vendors of wheels for particular production runs or year models. I hope this helps or at least contributes to other posts on this subject. Also, the gold/red ones were introduced in 1963 for the J-Series and are pictured with and without beauty rings in my Willys Motors introduction for dealers book dated 9/62.
Barneysjeeppart is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.