1966 CJ5 steering linkage problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1966 CJ5 steering linkage problem

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Dmed77
1966 CJ5 

1966 CJ5 steering linkage problem

Good morning everybody

Well I did a little wheeling this weekend and was driving home and noticed my steering wheel was a little loud and rough when I was turning.

I have power steering, the steering column goes down at the regular angle and then below the tub attaches to a U joint and heads straight into the power steering box near the front bumpler.

So I crawled underneath and where the two steering rods meet (where the U joint is) the joint is hangling a little lower and is now hitting the frame when I turn the steering wheel and has a lot of play.

Any idea on what has loosened up or caused this?

Thanks

Dmed77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

I would look to see how the column was adapted to be secured after the power steering conversion. Stock the column was attached directly to the steering box and now needs a new way to be secured. More than likely the mounts have come a bit loose and the column has slid down causing the rub and binding. Should be able to loosen the new mount and raise the column back up and re-secure it.
Unread 04-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
TURNIPHEAD

STEERING freeplay ISSUE

hello every body ,
this is my first post on here. I just picked up a nice 70 cj5 the steering is wacked. The guy i bought it from told me so and i dont think he knew how to fix that.
there is a ton of free play in the steering wheel.I got it home after a scary ride on the freeway. I tightened the adjusting screw all the way down on the steering box ( didnt do anything) im think the steering box is trashed ? i jacked up the wheels and had somebody rotate the steering wheel slowly yet the pitman arm did move should i send out the box for a rebuild and go from there???
thanks
TURNIPHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmed77 View Post
Good morning everybody

Well I did a little wheeling this weekend and was driving home and noticed my steering wheel was a little loud and rough when I was turning.

I have power steering, the steering column goes down at the regular angle and then below the tub attaches to a U joint and heads straight into the power steering box near the front bumpler.

So I crawled underneath and where the two steering rods meet (where the U joint is) the joint is hangling a little lower and is now hitting the frame when I turn the steering wheel and has a lot of play.

Any idea on what has loosened up or caused this?

Thanks
It may be possible the upper bearing has fallen apart, allowing the shaft to drop. This may also cause grinding and dragging on the top by the wheel. A picture of your setup would be especially helpful.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.