1965 Cj5 Identification - Body Stamping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1965 Cj5 Identification - Body Stamping

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
stradhog
1965 CJ5 

1965 Cj5 Identification - Body Stamping

Hello All & Happy New Year! I am the proud (third) owner of a 1965 CJ5. I am all "googled out" from trying to research my Jeep and I decided it ws time to join this forum and ask the experts. I picked up this Jeep on Craigslist from a retired marine who got it from the barn of a passed away rancher. He told me it was covered with hay and had barb wire tools in the bed when he got it. Anyhow, he told me it was all original and in crawling around it, I found the minor rust scale, spider cocoons, and bees nest to sort of verify his claim. There is a snorkel cutout, but no faux battery box cover on the cowl. The wipers are high mounts and the tailgate has no markings. The gate does have the footman loop bumps, but no punchouts for the screw holes. On the firewall where the vin plate is, there are two other 4 inch by 1/2 inch aluminum plates with numbers on them. One thing that appeared odd to me was the absence of the "Jeep" stampings in the metal on each side forward of the doors. Right away I think this may be an aftermarket tub, but it would be difficult to reproduce the Jeep's wear on the paint and the patina of the metal. During my googling I found conflicting info regarding when certain items or features were discontinued from or added to the CJ5 line. I also saw photos of various Jeeps with features similar to mine, but none with all the same variances. I love this Jeep as it is, no matter what. Unconditional love I guess you could call it. I was wondering in anyone out there had any input as to the authenticity of my so called "original" 65 CJ5? Thanx for your time and help!

stradhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Every factory original Jeep tub will have the JEEP stamping on the the sides. If your tub doesn't have these it's not original. A 65 "should" have the cowl battery box cover stamping as well, but as 65 was the last year for these it might have been made without it. Nevertheless it sounds like you don't have an original tub. Your serial numbers can tell you the year but you will need to go over to Early CJ5 forum to get the information: Early CJ5.com > Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
CSP

Sounds like a replacement tub and tailgate to me also. Both would have the Jeep stampings originally.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
xjandyj

unless it has the receptacle on the pass side..m38's had no stamp...but that wouldnt explain the no batt box though...pics..
xjandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
Every factory original Jeep tub will have the JEEP stamping on the the sides. If your tub doesn't have these it's not original. A 65 "should" have the cowl battery box cover stamping as well, but as 65 was the last year for these it might have been made without it. Nevertheless it sounds like you don't have an original tub. Your serial numbers can tell you the year but you will need to go over to Early CJ5 forum to get the information: Early CJ5.com > Forums - Powered by vBulletin
I think the cowl battery cover disappeared around 64 because I had a 64 CJ-6 that did not have the cover. My friend had a 62 that did have the cover.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.