1963 Jeep safety check list - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1963 Jeep safety check list

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

1963 Jeep safety check list

What to check to prevent death or injury ...

I have done some basic checks, mostly visual and shaking things around.....what are some known things that top the list?

Steering was very bad, had box rebuilt....

Is there any.... you better check that items, such as do the wheels fall off if a bearing goes bad or if the front drive shaft drops you flip over.

I have been doing the basic old ride checks, but have no idea of things to look for on a jeep.

I would appreciate a help on this.....I do not want to get hurt or hurt anyone else.

Thanks

Unretarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Brakes-
Tires-
Lights-
SEATBELTS!
No matter, what you do-You can still get dead!
LG
Unread 06-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Brakes-
Tires-
Lights-
SEATBELTS!
No matter, what you do-You can still get dead!
LG

Brakes checked for any leaks and appear to be working fine.
Tires are old, but no major cracks, have been holding air for over a month.
Lights all work....the headlights need adjustinng.
Only has lap belts in it.

Driving right now 3 miles to and from work....max speed is 35 mph, most of the way it is 25 mph......trying to check/test everythig out before taking some roads that are 45 mph.

I am just becoming more concerned as I drive it more.....I guess no doors and roof ups the concern level.
Unread 06-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Brakes-How much lining left on the shoes?
H'lights are easy to adjust-just do it.
Lap belts are good--
No diff between a 'rag' top and no top in a crash.
IF your tires are more than 5 years old-Get new ones.
Also-35s are pretty big on a 'short' '5'. Look at 33's maybe.
What's your R&P ratio?
Go thought and change ALL fluids, belts, hoses, filters etc.
LG
Unread 06-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

I wouldn't spend another dime on it till you're not afraid of driving it.
Drive it and get comfortable with it first.
or get rid of it....
chromegrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Brakes-How much lining left on the shoes?
H'lights are easy to adjust-just do it.
Lap belts are good--
No diff between a 'rag' top and no top in a crash.
IF your tires are more than 5 years old-Get new ones.
Also-35s are pretty big on a 'short' '5'. Look at 33's maybe.
What's your R&P ratio?
Go thought and change ALL fluids, belts, hoses, filters etc.
LG

Have not dug that deep in the brakes yet.....
New tires definately on the list before attempting 45 mph.....
Not sure on the r&p yet..but pretty steep...does have overdrive, not sure if it works yet either......
Just checked and topped all fluids.....new seals and complete flush and change is in the works.
Have a new set of hoses, ready to change and flush....need to get a belt size for a new one.
Going to check timing chain slop this weekend.....
Unread 06-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromegrille View Post
I wouldn't spend another dime on it till you're not afraid of driving it.
Drive it and get comfortable with it first.
or get rid of it....
No fear of driving a Jeep.

Just some serious concerns about the unknown history and condition of this one....to say it has been repaired and cobbled on is a understatement......I think the frame and a portion of the tub are original.

Changed upgraded wires by PO.....
Changed steering system by PO.....
Changed suspention by PO.....
Changed hood and front fenders PO.....
Changed roll bar by PO.....
Changed seats by PO.....
Changed gauges by PO......

Plus many welds and repairs.......

I have concerns with the state it is in......once I verify and get familiar with everything....I will be on 2 wheels in no time...

Just starting slow and trying to be safe....because who knows what will break/malfunction at any time in this thing.

I am curretly scared of it, I admit that....but still driving it......and its still fun.......but the blood pressure goes way down after stoping and shutting the engine down.

I figure I have used up all my chances when I was a youth.....people used to kiss the dirty ground with thier lips after riding with me and swear to never enter anything I was driving again.....

When you start heading towards the 50 year old mark, caution takes a front seat to impulse.
Unread 06-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Just how long have you had this Jeep that you have not done a full brake inspection on?
Brakes are life---Yours and your family's!
You don't need new tires to do 45mph-A blowout can/will kill you at 20mph--
Set some priorities--
Topping off, is not changing fluids. New seals for what??
LG
Unread 06-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

OP-how much of a mechanic are you?
OP sez "I am curretly scared of it, I admit that."
I say-Why in the hell did you buy it then?
Also sez "but the blood pressure goes way down after stoping and shutting the engine down."
Sell the dang thing-You'll never be comfortable with it.
I'm 63+ years old, and drive my Jeep every chance I get!
LG
Unread 06-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #10
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Just how long have you had this Jeep that you have not done a full brake inspection on?
Brakes are life---Yours and your family's!
You don't need new tires to do 45mph-A blowout can/will kill you at 20mph--
Set some priorities--
Topping off, is not changing fluids. New seals for what??
LG
Not very long...PO was driving it around..rebuilt the carb to get it runing right and have done approx 5 trips back and forth to work.

Just confirmed working order and no leaks on the brakes...will be digging in soon.

Tires will be changed very soon.

New seals for just about anything that holds fluids and everything has a drip to a flat out leak front to back...plan on doing new brake lines also.

I did not want to change everythig fluid wise and just dump it all back out in the next week or 2......everything in there looked usable...not burnt or contaminated...definatly needs changed.

This the last shakedown run today.....after it takes me back home tonight...it is getting a going thru on all the systems......
Unread 06-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Jeeps are like Harley's and airplanes, they LEAK.
If the leak ain't bad-Don't make it worst.
I have had a slow front and rear engine main seal leaks for 25+ years. A cup of oil in a years time ain't worth the effort/sweat to r&r the seals and all the other crap you need to do to just get to those seals.
LG
Unread 06-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Quote:
OP-how much of a mechanic are you?
OP sez "I am curretly scared of it, I admit that."
I say-Why in the hell did you buy it then?
Also sez "but the blood pressure goes way down after stoping and shutting the engine down."
Sell the dang thing-You'll never be comfortable with it.
I'm 63+ years old, and drive my Jeep every chance I get!
LG
Not a pro by any means, but not scared to dig in.....have rebuilt motors and did a frame off nut and bolt on my last project.

I am NOT scared of Jeeps......I would be scared of anything in the unknown condition this is....when done going thru it and becoming familiar with how all the systems work and confirming everything.....I will drive it like any other ride without any other fears than that of a normal ride.

I will be fine with it..........just some of the work I have fixed and seen done on this ride has me wondering if the axles have been welded back together in 3 pieces or it has wooden gears in the transfer case.....I will feel much much better once I confirm everything for myself.......

I was just wondering if there were inheret design flaws or known issues that are unique to the Jeep......that are big things to watch out for.

Just looking for a heads up on Jeep stuff that might not be known to a new Jeep user.

Such as the pintos gas tank explosions.....or the 66 chevy truck with the gas tank inside the cab behind the seat etc...

I can assure you given this Jeeps current state...some one as yourself who knows about Jeeps would not even want to drive it or if you did, would not get back in it..........this is not Jeep fear, it is just good common sense on my part,which even driving this thing shows a lack of.

I was driving it before the steering box rebuild which allowed the steering wheel to be turned over 1/4 of the way each direction without any tire movement........foolish, yes....but sometimes the only way to find things out is to drive it .

The only way to know if it shifts fine and does not whine in high is to give it a test run..........last drive is home tonight to give it a good going over now that I know what to look at based on observations made driving it.

I appreciate all the info and will use it.......just trying to convey this is not Jeep fear....this thing in its curret state is a borderline death trap.......just looking for stuff that I might not have thought of or would have no way to know if I have not worked/owned a Jeep before.

Such as with a little sanding and shake testing I just discovered some loose rivets and frame cracking around the rear shackle frame mounts and also some welding....apparently this is a problem area to look at on Jeeps......

I appreciate all the info soo far............
Unread 06-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #13
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Not sure how it is setup on that year but the thing I found that scared me the most was cracked leaf spring mounts in the front. They were about halfway through when I found them. I welded them up and reinforced the crap out of them. I would check the u-bolts and spring plates as well. Then at look at the front bearings and make sure they were done correctly and the locknuts are in place and locked.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #14
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Jeeps are like Harley's and airplanes, they LEAK.
If the leak ain't bad-Don't make it worst.
I have had a slow front and rear engine main seal leaks for 25+ years. A cup of oil in a years time ain't worth the effort/sweat to r&r the seals and all the other crap you need to do to just get to those seals.
LG

Thanks.......I appreciate that....most of the leaks are barely drips.....just enuff to keep it all wet, but not enuff to be more than a drip or 2 tops over night.
Unread 06-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #15
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
Not sure how it is setup on that year but the thing I found that scared me the most was cracked leaf spring mounts in the front. They were about halfway through when I found them. I welded them up and reinforced the crap out of them. I would check the u-bolts and spring plates as well. Then at look at the front bearings and make sure they were done correctly and the locknuts are in place and locked.

Will do....it is home and parked now......

Yes, the frame spring mounts cracked on both sides in the rear, where the shackles mount is pretty bad and scary.......will be doing a complete job of checking everything you guys pointed out....thanks

The front has a camber/caster issue which from what everyone has said leads me to believe it is the knuckle bearings, which makes sense as both knuckles were dry and empty and when I filled them with gear oil it is leaking pretty bad.....will be dry again in a week it is leaking so bad, all down the tire and a 4 inch puddle in one day......but that is a area that I need to tear into anyway to inspect and fix problems.

It is desperate need of a alignment, so I needed to do the knuckle bearings first anyway.

I expected problems and knew there were issues.......the guy I bought it from turned white as ghost when I asked if he had it on the freeway and I crawled around under it before buying.....so none of this is a surprise or unexpected......just trying to figure out a Jeep for the first time.

I am not daft or unable....just have never torn into a Jeep before.

Thanks

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.