1963 CJ5 Wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1963 CJ5 Wiring

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Dtsouth2
1963 CJ5 

1963 CJ5 Wiring

So I bought a original quality wire harness from Walcks4wd. Its very nice but I'm having trouble figuring out how to hook up the regulator, generator and starter. Anyone have a color wire diagram?

Dtsouth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

did you try getting back to Walcks? seems like they should have your answers.
Unread 11-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

WARNING.
Not all mechanical voltage regulators have the same terminal markings!
There is usually a 'B' (Battery), 'F' (Field), 'R' (Rotor), sometimes a 'G' (Ground), and some will have a 4th terminal (Other than 'Ground')

Is this your dilemma?

I'm looking for my color graphic, if I find it in all the 'Jeep Junk' I have on my computer, I'll post it.

There are 'A' and 'B' type regulators. You need to know which one you have.
You will have to 'Polarize' the regulator before the charging system will work.
This is as easy as making/breaking a connection between terminals with a jumper wire, just for a second, but you will have to know which terminals.
Probably covered in your service manual, if not let me know and I'll try to find it here for your specific generator/regulator.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Something to get you started.
earlycj5.com will have complete wiring diagrams both in color and b+w. They also can answer any questions you may have both with the stock wiring and upgrading.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Dtsouth2
1963 CJ5 

Yes my regulator has 2 terminals on one side and 1 on the opposite. the diagram shows three on the same side. Also the diagram listed above is different than mine. I think there is a I think mine is the older CJ5 one.
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Dtsouth2
1963 CJ5 

Here is a picture
regulator.jpg  
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
Dtsouth2
1963 CJ5 

I found this, but I don't think its the rights one. Some of the colors don't make sense because I don't have them. This is for early cj's and mine is the one after. Like the other schematic
wire-harness.jpg   12-volt-wiring-1-.gif  
Unread 11-25-2013, 05:08 AM   #8
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

I was going to do a bunch of writing, but instead, here is an excellent link to what your looking for.
It is in PDF as well, so you should be able save it to the Jeep folder on your desktop (you do have a folder to save all your info on, don't you?)

http://www.stinsonclub.org/PublicTec...gulator%29.pdf
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
Dtsouth2
1963 CJ5 

Whew! that should help. Thank you sir!
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
I was going to do a bunch of writing, but instead, here is an excellent link to what your looking for.
It is in PDF as well, so you should be able save it to the Jeep folder on your desktop (you do have a folder to save all your info on, don't you?)

http://www.stinsonclub.org/PublicTec...gulator%29.pdf
JEEPDADDY! That ROCKS!

That's the kind of stuff that without the internet, you might NEVER see!

Thanks man! That's probably the best collection of service bulletins on mechanical regulators I've ever seen.
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yeah, those are cool.

Searched for the other ones mentioned and found some more.

http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/info/PDFs/1R-118.pdf

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...24/1r12001.htm
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
Dtsouth2
1963 CJ5 

How about the wiring on the generator? :O
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

JeepDaddy found all the generator and regulator wiring diagrams, test procedures, ect. you will need...

Having problems sorting it out? If so, say it and we'll break it down into digestible bites...
This is some ARCANE stuff here, You have a couple of guys listening that can actually decipher this stuff, and you won't find many like that this day and age!

We are here to help, and I'll help if you overlook my lousy spelling...
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Let me see, where to start...

The GENERATOR (DC Armature Rectified Generator) *Should* be marked for terminal connection.
You should see a 'G', Ground.
You should see a 'F', Field.
You should see a 'A', Armature.

Ground is just that, 'Ground'. Depending on what electrical system you have, 'Ground' can be positive or negative, so don't 'Assume', you don't know what 'Previous Owners' have done to this thing...
'Positive Grounding' was the standard for many years, and I still get Positive Ground Generators in here once in a while...

Field is the magnetic field coils, outside of the armature.
Your voltage regulator clicks 'On' and 'Off' these Field Coils to control the voltage output.
'On' means it's putting out more electrical current on the 'Armature' pole of the Generator.
'Off' means you aren't getting any electrical current from the 'Armature' pole on the Generator.

You will find, if you watch this thing in operation, that that 'Field' breaker point relay will 'Vibrate', 'On' & 'Off' very quickly.
This is a CURRENT CONTROL system, not a voltage control system like modern regulators...
Field 'ON' means you get current, Field 'Off' means you don't get current from the Armature.

The battery has to smooth things out, working kind of like a giant capacitor, since there really isn't a 'Voltage' control to speak of to this system.
These things weren't capable of really high voltages like alternators are, and since there isn't any sensitive electronics on board, they didn't mess with it too much...

You *Should* find the same markings on the regulator so you can hook it up, figure out which wire goes where...
Some regulators aren't marked, and that makes for REAL issues once in a while, you have to fiddle with everything to figure out what goes where.
Usually I just get a regulator that is marked and give the unmarked generic one a toss.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION...
The 'G' or 'Ground' might sound good to leave off and not run that wire, but DO IT ANYWAY.
The generator and regulator need a COMMON ground to work correctly. If you don't, you will be chasing charging phantoms for days until you do.
Sometimes there is a dedicated 'G' terminal on the regulator, other times you just wire into the mounting bolt, but if generator and regulator don't share a common ground, you WILL have issues.

What SPECIFIC issues are you having questions about?
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
Dtsouth2
1963 CJ5 

Thanks!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.