1960 Willys Jeep Identificaiton # - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1960 Willys Jeep Identificaiton #

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
brycez28

1960 Willys Jeep Identificaiton #

I'm trying to find the identification number location on my 1960 willys frame. I ran the grinder over the frame to get all the big stuff off and then went over it with the wire brush on my drill. On the passenger side, on the side of the frame rail behind the rear leaf spring mount in the frount and the body mount, I found stamped 8 D 18 in a triangle. Then on the passenger side, on the top of the frame rail, above the rear leaf spring mount in the front I found stamped 98829. Also, on the driver side, on the inside of the frame infront of the steering gear box, I found stamped 420 (not sure what that means?). From what I've seen in my internet searches, I'm still missing a 5 digit or so stamping. Does anyone know where I might find it?

brycez28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

I think I recall there being a stamp on top of the frame rail on the passenger side below the battery tray on the early cj's
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
brycez28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
I think I recall there being a stamp on top of the frame rail on the passenger side below the battery tray on the early cj's

This morning I went out and sandblasted my frame rails and didn't find anymore numbers.
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
brycez28

Here are a couple pictures
driver-front-frame.jpg

part-identification.jpg

passenger-frame-rail.jpg

Unread 08-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Then chances are the 98829 you found is the serial #. According to this page:

http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/decoding...ers-1955-1971/

your model year started with 97919 and ended with 119539. That would put yours near the start of the production run for 1960.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
brycez28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Then chances are the 98829 you found is the serial #. According to this page:

http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/decoding...ers-1955-1971/

your model year started with 97919 and ended with 119539. That would put yours near the start of the production run for 1960.
So then there aren't any other number on the frame that I would need? I live in WI and plan on registering is as a "reconstructed vehicle", so I will need to be able to show the vin (identificaiton) numbers for the frame, engine and transmission.
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Nope. Prior to '62 Jeeps didn't even have a VIN, just a serial #. That's what the "98829" is, a serial #.

Does that # match the one on the data tag on the tub? Or is the tub from a different vehicle?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.