1957 Willys CJ5 build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1957 Willys CJ5 build thread

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
IDK

1957 Willys CJ5 build thread

I started doing this last summer, but got too busy with work and put it away, now this coming summer I am gonna have plenty of time so my goal is to finish it once and for all! Here are some pics of the Jeep and progress done last summer.

If anyone is curious, the motor was already removed by my little brother, this was originally gonna be his Jeep project, but after a fight with dad about not being able to get a Corvette (a 16 year old with a Corvette for his first car, really?) He dropped the project and left the Jeep sitting out in the weeds behind the shop, haven't seen him for 2 years since he went back to his mom's.

It sat outside with no top for about a year or so and was full of leaves and branches, rust poked through in a few places, but are small in size and can easily be fixed, the body is in spectacular condition for a 55 year old Jeep! The old flathead 4 actually ran pretty good, but after my brother got it out and took it apart, the inside wasn't too pretty, half the head on the 3rd piston was blown apart.

The body on the way to the car wash to get cleaned up.

Tiny little frame, cute aint it? I can pick it up and move it myself.

And lastly the engine compartment while it was sitting out in the weeds. Those are all the pics I have thus far. Now, sitting behind the shop is another 57 CJ5 with a half-cab, and a strong 289 Ford V8 under the hood with this real unique splitter box transmission. I wanted to keep it original in the beginning, but to get all the parts for that 4 banger and get the block machined would ring out close to 5k and why do that when there is a perfectly good V8 laying around? Plus I really want that splitter box for the super low gearing. The V8 sure has taken its toll on the halfcab and the frame is cracked in several places. On the good frame, I plan to reinforce it by boxing it in to handle the V8. For paint, I want to do black truck bed liner for durability, my dad has this stuff on his 72 Bronco and it is impossible to scratch and really makes the rig look tough, even seems to make the metal more resilient to dents. The Jeep has the old style sport bar, I really like the look of it, but are they very safe? If not I will probably build onto it and make it a 6 pointer. That's all I can think of right now, will get some pics of the halfcab this weekend! College is almost out and man I am antsy to start working on this little rig! Hope to have it running by the end of July.

Unread 04-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDK View Post
I started doing this last summer, but got too busy with work and put it away, now this coming summer I am gonna have plenty of time so my goal is to finish it once and for all! Here are some pics of the Jeep and progress done last summer...

...And lastly the engine compartment while it was sitting out in the weeds. Those are all the pics I have thus far. Now, sitting behind the shop is another 57 CJ5 with a half-cab, and a strong 289 Ford V8 under the hood with this real unique splitter box transmission. I wanted to keep it original in the beginning, but to get all the parts for that 4 banger and get the block machined would ring out close to 5k and why do that when there is a perfectly good V8 laying around? Plus I really want that splitter box for the super low gearing. The V8 sure has taken its toll on the halfcab and the frame is cracked in several places. On the good frame, I plan to reinforce it by boxing it in to handle the V8. For paint, I want to do black truck bed liner for durability, my dad has this stuff on his 72 Bronco and it is impossible to scratch and really makes the rig look tough, even seems to make the metal more resilient to dents. The Jeep has the old style sport bar, I really like the look of it, but are they very safe? If not I will probably build onto it and make it a 6 pointer. That's all I can think of right now, will get some pics of the halfcab this weekend! College is almost out and man I am antsy to start working on this little rig! Hope to have it running by the end of July.
The Jeep work I understand, but I'm really having a problem with that early comment!! Man, I love the 289! What a great engine. I think your plan for reinforcing the frame is a good one, and I'd like to see pics of the "splitter" transmission. The original rollbar would not be a good choice for any riding that might result in a rollover... IMO. Love to see pics of the other 57 and also the Bronco in the background!! Looking forward to your build.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
IDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
The Jeep work I understand, but I'm really having a problem with that early comment!! Man, I love the 289! What a great engine. I think your plan for reinforcing the frame is a good one, and I'd like to see pics of the "splitter" transmission. The original rollbar would not be a good choice for any riding that might result in a rollover... IMO. Love to see pics of the other 57 and also the Bronco in the background!! Looking forward to your build.
Thanks man! I will get more pics of the halfcab and try to get some pics of that splitter this weekend! 289 runs good too, drove that halfcab around and it really gets it! I wanted to go the 4 banger route, but why spend all that money when there is a perfectly good V8 sitting around? Plus I am not sure how that splitter would mate up to the 4 if it would at all lol
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Looks like a good start. Post up some pics of the splitter

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
98blacksahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
IDK

UPDATE: Here are some pics of the halfcab and splitter!

Really nice of my dog to come in and pee during that shot lol

The beast that lies under the hood.

And finally the spitter box shifters, idk if this will tell anyone much, but once I get the tranny and motor out I will take a pic of it.
Unread 04-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I am no expert in this area... shoot, I'm not an expert in anything But I think that is Warn Overdrive and twin sticks. Cool looking Jeep. I would love to have a half-cab.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
CSP

Yep, that's an overdrive shifter.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
IDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Yep, that's an overdrive shifter.
Ok, thanks for clarifying!
Unread 05-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
IDK

Well I got some pics of some progress! Dug the frame out and started blasting away on it! About 3 hours into it, but ran out of sand so had to get more which turned out to be wet so we are letting it dry over night. Hoping to have this frame all sandblasted by Friday, and then start on the body Monday.

Unread 06-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
IDK

The frame is going good! I flipped it and started on the other side yesterday afternoon, hope it will be done today providing mother nature does not decide to rain on me.
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
IDK

One more donor Jeep I forgot to put in here. It is a 57 too, and I am going to nab that hood off for mine! Love the vents in the side and the induction scoop that is actually functional! It looks like hell now, but once it is painted it will look real cool, but the chrome airplane thing has to go, that belongs on a car with lots of chrome on it. The only thing chrome on my Jeep will be the headlight bezels. Other cool things this green Jeep has is dual gas tanks, both under the seats. The second one looks like it was aftermarket, but is a wonderful idea! Something that has always been a disadvantage to a CJ is not having enough gas to get to and from lots of places. And with a V8, dual tanks will be a must! It also has a PTO setup that I am taking out too.
Unread 06-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
CJ5BOY89

Nice lookin CJ5!!! I have a 55 cj and wondered if you know how strict they are on passing Safty inspection!! Also where would I find a horn for a cj5??
CJ5BOY89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #13
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Subscribed. My CJ-5 is only a few years older, so there's a lot that we'd have in common. Except I prefer a V6 over a V8, but that's relatively minor.

On the issue of horns, any old horn should do as long as the voltage is right. You could probably wire a push button switch on the dash if you're like me and don't like the thought of trying to fish wires down an ancient steering column.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 05:23 AM   #14
yamaha225
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nice start, Any updates?

Black Jeep Society, Eagle Scout Jeepers
yamaha225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.