1956 CJ5 DANA 25 best option for swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1956 CJ5 DANA 25 best option for swap?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-08-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
1956CJ5
1956 CJ5 

1956 CJ5 DANA 25 best option for swap?

Help! I have a 56 CJ5 running a built 225 Dauntless/T90/Spicer 18. Has the original Dana 25 closed knuckle front end from 56, and seemed (key word "seemed") like it was running fine... It has 11 inch drums so I was planning on just servicing it and going... I pulled the right front knuckle seal and found needle bearings and chunks (uh-oh, me no like... "obviously a major malfunction...").

QUESTION - Overhaul? Swap for Dana 30? 44? How? If swapping which option if any is bolt-in?

1956CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
CSP

CJ Dana 30 is a bolt in, though you probably have either 4.88 or 5.38 gears which would be hard to find existing in a CJ Dana 30.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
1956CJ5
1956 CJ5 

Thanks... I have opportunity to buy a Dana 44, with hubs and disc brakes attached, and comes with matching rear differential and drive shafts... for $1200

How difficult is the swap? I can weld pretty well, and am reasonably confident I could make it happen... what tips/traps are there?
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
CSP

That's a pretty high price IMO. Unless the vehicle they are coming out of is the same as yours the driveshafts aren't worth much.

There's a crapload of info on this site and the rest of the web about various D44 swaps. Just because it's a Dana 44 doesn't make it a good candidate. There are way too many variations to give much more info. What are they out of?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
1956CJ5
1956 CJ5 

Yes, you are right - found info when I took extra time - transfer cse nd differential alignment are just a few issues. More research shows yes it is too high a price... I can get all the bit piece parts I need for around $280 so thats what I gonna do - my Jeep goes off road once every 3 months, and Im still a 4x4 novice so it doesnt get pushed...

Thanks for the heads up !

John

Tags
dana 27 , dana 30 , front differential , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.