1955 cj5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1955 cj5

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
hip2b2

1955 cj5

Got chance to get 1955 cj5. Good news is it has a running hurricane engine. Bad news is the previous owner coated outside and inside,including dashboard with a textured paint. Body feels solid so not sure it was done to hide rust as much as an effect he was going for. It has been lifted, has broken windshield, missing cool taillights, and I think headlights and markers are not right. Willys marked tailgate but covered in that paint. I think it's original front hubs. Guy wants $1800. I think that's too much but am I passing up an unpolished gem here? Thankfully all id plates left intact and unpainted. Oh, has optional hard half cover but outside all coated in that textured paint. Outside of that the cover is pristine. Please give me guidance. I'm a YJ guy but I want a CJ project. Oh, guy spot welded gas cap shut and is using external tank mounted in back. I know. It's a nightmare! Oh, missing original seats!

hip2b2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
tcijoe
1974 CJ5 

since i just finished my search for a cj, i would say that seems high. I would look at your total budget, subtract the cost of this and that will tell you how much money you have to throw at it to make it right.
Unread 05-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

Does it have reversed front shackles? If it's actually a 55 I believe it should and it will have some other M38A1 features-all good things. However, bedliner/textured paint would make me highly suspect of the tub. Take a look under the floor at the hat channels. If those are still factory intact it may be ok but still time to do a lot of magnet work. The usual rust out areas are the sills, especially next to the tool box, the bottom of the cowl, the rear body mounts, the right rear spare tire support, and the doubled up rear cross member.

If the tub does have notable rust, the price is probably 2x where it should be. Anyway you look at it, extensive sheet metal repair is a huge time sink if you are doing the work and a huge money sink if someone else is doing it. If that tub is rust free, it's a good deal at that price even if it takes you a long time to scrape all that crap off.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
CSP

Doesn't sound like an unpolished gem by any means. It sounds like a mixture of ideas from previous owners, none of which were executed very well.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
dahreno

How much work are you prepared to do ? Are you a great mechanic? are you looking for a project, a big project ? Can you weld in floors ? Usually bed lined old Jeeps are done for two reasons, people are idiots or, they are trying to hide something, usually rust. The drivetrain on these old Jeeps are not that robust so, if you are thinking big tires and rock crawling, better be pre paired for a let down. Usually to do that takes a one ton drive train, just to start.I know, I have some experience !
dahreno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
hip2b2

Thanks for your help. I think the tub is okay underneath it but I've pretty much decided 1500 will be my highest offer just due to all the work. No one seems to be rushing to get it so I think I'll wait. If its there in a week I'll offer low and see what happens. Any advice is much appreciated!
hip2b2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2014, 12:11 AM   #7
dahreno

Here is great advise. If you are set on owning an old Jeep as bad as I have been, really look around for the right one. Not just because one is cheap. That being said, here is a secret that I'm letting out of the bag. I should get paid for this but, go to ewillys.com. Thousands of them, every make and model. It will also give you an idea as to what to pay.
dahreno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #8
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

If you plan on restoring it, the bedliner/texture paint would be enough to scare me away.
That would be a nightmare to remove.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.