1951 Willys - What's It Worth? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1951 Willys - What's It Worth?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #46
thomask
1985 CJ7 

AFTER (Nice work there Outlaw1)

2011-06-09_19-24-48_25.jpg  

"Hey wave at a classic JEEP owner and make a new JEEP friend"
thomask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #47
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

Very nice Outlaw! Can't wait to see how the motor turns out.

Really adding to my itch to ask the old man down the road what's up with the Willys sitting in his driveway that I've never seen move.

The '78 CJ7 may need a little brother.
CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #48
Outlaw1

Unfortunately yesterday I returned to work only to be terminated. Bummer.

Before I leave Colorado and head back to Texas I thought I'd tinker with the Willys. I had planned on ordering a new starter and converting everything to 12V. Since I don't want to spend any money I just tore the original starter apart, cleaned everything and put it back together. The distributor didn't look like it was timed right, so I pulled it, cleaned it and set it where I thought it would be close. After I put the plugs back in and hit it with a shot of starting fluid the engine turned over and fired right up! The carburetor still needs to be rebuilt or I need to buy a 2bbl/1bbl adapter for the Weber, but now I know the engine runs!
Outlaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #49
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw1 View Post
Unfortunately yesterday I returned to work only to be terminated. Bummer.

Before I leave Colorado and head back to Texas I thought I'd tinker with the Willys. I had planned on ordering a new starter and converting everything to 12V. Since I don't want to spend any money I just tore the original starter apart, cleaned everything and put it back together. The distributor didn't look like it was timed right, so I pulled it, cleaned it and set it where I thought it would be close. After I put the plugs back in and hit it with a shot of starting fluid the engine turned over and fired right up! The carburetor still needs to be rebuilt or I need to buy a 2bbl/1bbl adapter for the Weber, but now I know the engine runs!
Man, that sucks! But the bright side may be that you have more time to work on the Willys!

the drawback is, no money to buy parts.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Congrats on getting the motor running! Would be kinda cool to restore the original carb if you can. Likely cheaper too.
CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #50
Outlaw1

I'd prefer to have the old carb on the engine, but more than likely the throttle shaft bushing is worn. Next week I'll be back in Colorado to start gathering the rest of my things and bring the Willys and my dually back to Texas. When I get the Willys home I'll be able to get it on the lift and go through it a little better. Unfortunately, with the 100+ temps back home I doubt I'll be driving it much until it cools off.
Unread 09-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #51
Thexonexkid

1986 XJ Cherokee 

is there a build thread for this, i am sub to this but is there another one?
Unread 09-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #52
mike76CJ5

1976 CJ5 

yea - i'm interested as well...
mike76CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #53
Outlaw1

Unfortunately, I haven't started a build thread because it's such a pain to do from my phone.

It really didn't take much to get the Willys on the road. I cleaned out the tank, rebuilt the carb, removed the electric fuel pump, connected the stock fuel pump, replaced a freeze plug, bled the brakes and aired up the tires before I took it for a ride. The generator needed a set of brushes and viola, it works! After replacing the steering stabilizer it even drives pretty good. At some point I'd like to have some stock seats, but for the meantime the seats have been replaced with some old plastic Jaz Baja Busters.

I'm not sure I mentioned it before, but it does have the original L-134, T90, D18 and D-27/D-44 w/5.38's. The only thing a little disappointing is the lack of power. Top speed uphill is ~45mph, downhill is ~55mph. I'd like to do a consistent 60mph. Even though I hate to see it go, I'm seriously considering a 4.3/T-18/D20 (with 18 internals) swap. For the time being I'm just enjoying it.
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:28 AM   #54
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Just take the OE drive line out, set it off to the side, and do the swap you want. Do it all bolt-in, with no major hacking if possible, so that it can go back to original if you ever decide to.

Just a note, I have read where many have said not to trust the steering design on some of those old Willy's. that they have a lot of play and unstable at higher speeds..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #55
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Bump for updates...

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #56
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

offer him the least amount you can. you might think he has a gold mine.then sit back and wait. from what you said people arent beating his door down to buy it. id tell him $500.00 and thats it. if he said it runs then id say = give me a call when you get it running, i sure wouldnt try to get it started myself, if you did then he could raise the price, after all it would be running then. it also seems that it didnt cost him anything. hope it works out for you.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #57
Outlaw1

Unread 06-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #58
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

agree, not much. if you cant drive it to hear what noises its going to make and if it smokes, knocks rattles. well then maybe $400.00 or $500.00. maybe not even that.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #59
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod351 View Post
agree, not much. if you cant drive it to hear what noises its going to make and if it smokes, knocks rattles. well then maybe $400.00 or $500.00. maybe not even that.
OK guys, this thread started 3 years back, the Willys was purchased and presumably moved from CO to TX.

Hopefully, outlaw will give us an update on this sometime soon.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.