Digging into a new project is always exciting. So far I haven't gotten the engine running, but it does show some promise.
The bad part is the starter is dead. It won't even budge. I tore it down and it's pretty well trashed. This is a good opportunity to get rid of the 6 volt system and upgrade everything over to 12 volt unless I can find another starter somewhere close. More than likely I'm going to try one of the Nippondenso gear reduction starters I see online. From what I can see the ring gear on the flywheel needs to be changed out too. Hopefully it will at least live while I'm trying to get the engine to run. I'd like to get the engine started, then later on pull the transmission/t-case to rebuild them when I do the ring gear. I have a fully equipped shop, including a 2-post lift back home. It's very nice having a lift, transmission jack, etc.
The good part is the body doesn't have very much rust at all, but it does have tons of little dings and dents. When I pulled out the 500lbs of vintage 1972 carpet and jute
I fully expected to see major holes in the floorboards. There's one hole ~3" in diameter in the passenger floorboard, but the rest looks pretty good other than dents. I'll straighten them up the best I can, then throw some POR15 on them. The exterior has a couple of rust holes that are 1/2"-1" and tons of small dings and dents. At one time the windshield frame was smacked really hard on the driver side and someone hacked it up trying to straighten it out. As far as the hood goes, it has some dents and some other issues, but it's salvagable. Amazingly, the frame is absolutely perfect. Even the tires are holding air fine. Saturday I towed it to the car wash and dumped $20 into getting it clean inside and out.
Another good thing, the engine spins over, so it's not locked up. I tested the ignition system and it's working and looks pretty new. Of course the carb is full of varnish and probably wasn't very good anyway by the looks of the carbon fouled plugs.
The initial parts list is looking like this. Starter, alternator, fuel pump, misc. 12 volt conversion parts & misc. tune-up parts. There is a fuel pump/vacuum pump on the engine, but it's bypassed and there's an external electric fuel pump that looks new (and doesn't work). I'll just replace it with a regular engine mounted pump. The bushings in the Carter W-O look to be a little worn and I can't find any high altitude kits. I happen to have an older Weber, so I'm planning on bringing it back to Colorado this week when I go home and ditching the W-O.
I have to admit, it looks much better without the shreded top and the hacked rollbar. When the towbar is gone and I attack it with some rattle cans it will look like a totally different vehicle.