1951 Willys - What's It Worth? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1951 Willys - What's It Worth?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #16
thomask
1985 CJ7 

SUPER, we are waiting an update on engine and any major rust areas.

Are you planning a a resto or mod?

Will reply for more pics...

"Hey wave at a classic JEEP owner and make a new JEEP friend"
thomask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #17
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Dang those things are cool looking! Way to go.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #18
Outlaw1

Just got home a little while ago. It's too late to mess with it tonight. Tomorrow after work I'll swing by and pull the Willys over to the house. If I can get the tires to hold air I'll clean it out then try to pull it down to the car wash. After I rinse it off and see what's under the grime we can go from there.

Outlaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #19
jeepinvader
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the find! More pics please.
Unread 06-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #20
Outlaw1

More to come tomorrow!

Unread 06-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #21
Outlaw1

Digging into a new project is always exciting. So far I haven't gotten the engine running, but it does show some promise.

The bad part is the starter is dead. It won't even budge. I tore it down and it's pretty well trashed. This is a good opportunity to get rid of the 6 volt system and upgrade everything over to 12 volt unless I can find another starter somewhere close. More than likely I'm going to try one of the Nippondenso gear reduction starters I see online. From what I can see the ring gear on the flywheel needs to be changed out too. Hopefully it will at least live while I'm trying to get the engine to run. I'd like to get the engine started, then later on pull the transmission/t-case to rebuild them when I do the ring gear. I have a fully equipped shop, including a 2-post lift back home. It's very nice having a lift, transmission jack, etc.

The good part is the body doesn't have very much rust at all, but it does have tons of little dings and dents. When I pulled out the 500lbs of vintage 1972 carpet and jute I fully expected to see major holes in the floorboards. There's one hole ~3" in diameter in the passenger floorboard, but the rest looks pretty good other than dents. I'll straighten them up the best I can, then throw some POR15 on them. The exterior has a couple of rust holes that are 1/2"-1" and tons of small dings and dents. At one time the windshield frame was smacked really hard on the driver side and someone hacked it up trying to straighten it out. As far as the hood goes, it has some dents and some other issues, but it's salvagable. Amazingly, the frame is absolutely perfect. Even the tires are holding air fine. Saturday I towed it to the car wash and dumped $20 into getting it clean inside and out.

Another good thing, the engine spins over, so it's not locked up. I tested the ignition system and it's working and looks pretty new. Of course the carb is full of varnish and probably wasn't very good anyway by the looks of the carbon fouled plugs.

The initial parts list is looking like this. Starter, alternator, fuel pump, misc. 12 volt conversion parts & misc. tune-up parts. There is a fuel pump/vacuum pump on the engine, but it's bypassed and there's an external electric fuel pump that looks new (and doesn't work). I'll just replace it with a regular engine mounted pump. The bushings in the Carter W-O look to be a little worn and I can't find any high altitude kits. I happen to have an older Weber, so I'm planning on bringing it back to Colorado this week when I go home and ditching the W-O.

I have to admit, it looks much better without the shreded top and the hacked rollbar. When the towbar is gone and I attack it with some rattle cans it will look like a totally different vehicle.

Unread 06-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #22
thomask
1985 CJ7 

outlaw1

You are tempting us, how about some post car wash pictures?

Unread 06-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #23
thomask
1985 CJ7 

outlaw1

Thank you!

Unread 06-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #24
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw1 View Post
We agreed on a price. This evening I'm going to meet the owner halfway and exchange some cash for the title. Hopefully I'll be back early enough to get it moved over to my place and tinker with it a little before it gets too late. Tomorrow is a short work day for me, so regardless I'll get something accomplished before the weekend is over.
How much did you pay?
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #25
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

If you decide to keep the old Military tires on it, I know where there are a bunch of good ones cheap.
Unread 06-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #26
Thexonexkid

1986 XJ Cherokee 

O man, I am super excited to see this...

If this could be moved to the build forum now???? Or at least when you do start a build thread post link in here...or if this will be the build thread and its staying here thats fine cause im already subscribed...

Need Need more

Great find Outlaw
Unread 06-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #27
DANSBIRD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My granddad has one... it needs a new body on it b/c his is about rusted out. That thing will go damn near anywhere. Awesome little ride, but a PITA to drive, compared to my TJ.

DANSBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #28
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If it were mine id let the body be. Its has a GREAT patina. Curious to know how much you paid, anything under 2k would be a deal IMHO.
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #29
thomask
1985 CJ7 

JUST SUPER, you sure that is not a MAC with that Big Dog hood ornament.

What a great classic.

Unread 06-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #30
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw1 View Post

...I attack it with some rattle cans it will look like a totally different vehicle.
I would not spray it. That is a great example of patina, and you would be suprised how much it would "pop" if you hit it with CLR. This teqnique seems more popular with old air cooled VW's, but I think it would look great on an old Willys. They even clear coat over the body once it has been hit w/ the CLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaubinoe View Post

If it were mine id let the body be.

It has GREAT patina.

Curious to know how much you paid, anything under 2k would be a deal IMHO.
Agreed, agreed, and also curious!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.