1951 Willys - What's It Worth? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1951 Willys - What's It Worth?

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 06-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Outlaw1

1951 Willys - What's It Worth?

I've been renting a little cabin here in Colorado since last October. One of the first things I noticed was a Willys parked out back of a vacant house across the street. My landlord told me that a couple years ago the owner of the house passed away. Yesterday I finally saw someone there and gave them my phone number. Today the previous owner's son gave me a call. He says the engine was rebuilt 5-6 years ago and was driven very rarely. The rest of the drivetrain is all original. After his dad passed away nobody has touched the Willys, so it's been at least 2 years since it was started. It looks like it's all there for the most part. Obviously it's rough, but he does have a clear title.

What's it worth?

Outlaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
wm69

I saw one in NW Arkansas a couple of years ago for $1200 that looked to be in similar shape body-wise, but no top at all, but also was running/ driving. I looked at it, hmmm'd about it (more where the heck I would park/ store it) and then said "too good to pass up" and the guy had sold it about 4 hours ago when I finally called him on it.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Not running, not knowing the condition of engine, axles, tranny, tcase, & the electrical system.. I would say not more than the price of scrap metal. See them like than around here for $600.
Unread 06-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
MemphisCJ7
1983 CJ7 

I would offer 500 and go as high as 1000.
The motor is a big plus
Unread 06-03-2011, 05:11 AM   #5
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw1 View Post

What's it worth?
5 minutes of fame here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/a...l#post11647203

and whatever you're willing to pay for it -

Nice find though...

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKT View Post
and whatever you're willing to pay for it -

Chances are the owner doesn't really know what its worth and won't care enough to do anything with it or even move it closer to where he is. So really what ever you are willing to pay is the only answer. Do you think he will try and argue a couple hundred bucks for something he was never going to do anything with?
Unread 06-03-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

I got mine for free, digging out of the woods, but I have seen many in very worst shape than yours sell for $3500 not running. Something about the history of a ww2 jeep. But myself no more than a $1000, but hey put a golden hawk decal on it and it could be worth 12 dollars more.
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #8
mojo_matic
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I got mine for free, digging out of the woods, but I have seen many in very worst shape than yours sell for $3500 not running. Something about the history of a ww2 jeep. But myself no more than a $1000, but hey put a golden hawk decal on it and it could be worth 12 dollars more.
If you have nothing constructive to say, STFU. You must be a really miserable person?
mojo_matic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #9
mojo_matic
1980 CJ5 

Show up with $1000 cash and a fresh battery... if you are content, offer $500 and work from there. If you have any serious doubts, walk away.

If the body and frame are not rotted, and she runs, you might have found yourself a gem.
Unread 06-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

IMO, 3A's have a much better windshield frame than the 2A's and that one appears to be in good condition as does the hood.

From the pics, it is hard to gage the extent of the rust. Hat channels still in floor? Sill areas and especially at the tool box area condition? Rear body/spare tire mount areas?

And the engine. It may have very few miles on a rebuild, but if it got any significant moisture in there while sitting, it will be stuck and may (very likely) require another rebuild. With no air cleaner on there, stuck is a high probability.

If you decide to purchase (and maybe even before that), pull the plugs and give each cylinder a big shot of PB Blaster, replace plugs and let sit for a week. Then pull plugs again and add about 1/2 cup of Marvel Mystery Oil to each cylinder, replace plugs and let sit another week. Only then pull plugs and try to crank it.

Being unmolested is a big plus. If the engine is free and minimal rust, $1000 to 1500, if not, maybe $500. If stuck, you might get by without redoing the crank and rods and just need bore job, rings, and pistons.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
woooter61

That could turn into a pretty neat project!
woooter61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
Outlaw1

We agreed on a price. This evening I'm going to meet the owner halfway and exchange some cash for the title. Hopefully I'll be back early enough to get it moved over to my place and tinker with it a little before it gets too late. Tomorrow is a short work day for me, so regardless I'll get something accomplished before the weekend is over.
Outlaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
mojo_matic
1980 CJ5 

I'm jealous! Looking forward to some pix!
Unread 06-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #14
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
browneye strikes again, I see.

What a turd burglar.

Fred

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #15
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_matic

Looking forward to some pix!
X2...post lots of good pics for us!!

BTW, great points/comments duffer!!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.