1951 willys jeep speedometer installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1951 willys jeep speedometer installation

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 03-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
JeepsRape51

1951 willys jeep speedometer installation

My speedometer is broken and I dont know how to find and replace it. The original has never worked along with the other meters ie. voltage, oil, temp. I only really want the speedometer to work.
Does anyone have an idea on were to start?

Than

JeepsRape51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

could be the cable, could be the gear in the transfer case. easiest thing to do is to undo at the transfer case and see if the end will spin in your fingers, and if it will, if you can see the speedo, if not have someone look at it and see if the needle moves. if it won't spin in your hand, then disconnect from the speedo and see if the insides of the cable is in one piece, and if you can spin it and if you spin one end you can see the other turning. if the cable is ok, plug it back into the transfer case and then have the end which is supposed to go into the speedo where you can see it and watch to see if it spins when you drive it (protruding from under the dash for example. if you know the cable is ok from the first few steps, if it will not turn with the other end in the transfer case, then your speedometer gear in the case is also toast. if it does turn, then it is the speedo, pull it out of the dash and see if it will move by installing a small screwdriver in the back of it where the cable connects. if not, likely it is frozen up inside. i just had this problem with my 79. I soaked the speedo in about an inch of PB Blaster in the cap, balancing the speedo on it witht he shaft doen in the liquid, and then gently worked it unitl it broke free after a day and a half of soaking. put it all back together and it worked.

those were the steps i went through to determine where the problem was and the eventual remedy. of course there is always the possibility that it could be any of those or more than one (cable, speedo gear, or speedo) at the same time. Also possible that if it is the speedo, it is so locked up you can't get it to unlock without breaking something. then there is always EBay
speedo-8.jpg   speedo-9.jpg  
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.