1950 M38 Tub Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1950 M38 Tub Question

RCV Axles at CCORSave 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-30-2015, 11:39 PM   #1
nodavies
1950 M-38 

1950 M38 Tub Question

I have what appears to be a 1950 M38. All the correct signs are there according to the different website "experts", but the odd thing is that the tub does not have tool indentations on the passenger side of the tub - is that possible?

Thanks!

nodavies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2015, 07:37 AM   #2
LilViper95
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It wouldn't surprise me if the tub has had repair work and the indents were lost in the repair. A.quick photo of the dash and cowl are well tell for sure if it's an m38
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
PERK
1983 CJ7 

replacement tubs have serial number here
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
nodavies
1950 M-38 

Here's a photo of the dashboard, the cowl has the storage box as expected - was not able to find a serial# stamp anywhere...

Thanks for the responses!
dash.jpg

front.jpg

passenger-side.jpg

Unread 07-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #5
LilViper95
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes that is indeed an m38. Look for signs of body repair on the passenger side. I bet it had rust repair done and the till indents were replaced with flat steel.
Unread 07-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
PERK
1983 CJ7 

there would not be a serial number stamped from the factory. the serial # would be on a plate on the dash next to glove box and on a plate on wheel well behind passenger seat. post picture of cowl from engine side.
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2015, 10:19 PM   #7
nodavies
1950 M-38 

More Info

I'm pretty sure that no repair has occurred on the passenger side, and all serial# plates have been removed - although I was able to find the data plates inside an old ammo case bolted between the seats...
cowl.jpg

leftin.jpg

leftout.jpg

Unread 07-02-2015, 10:21 PM   #8
nodavies
1950 M-38 

Something else odd: the radiator shroud appears to be blue, and I was able to find a similar blue as I scraped off some of the green in the passenger footwell...now I'm hooked on this mystery!
Unread 07-02-2015, 11:16 PM   #9
nodavies
1950 M-38 

And yet another piece of the puzzle, the casting# on the block is 804380-W-13...which I believe means that is was cast in 1952, apparently two years after the 1950 vehicle registration. So either the 1950 date on my jeep is incorrect (DMV), or I have a Frankenstein...
Unread Yesterday, 06:22 AM   #10
LilViper95
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The tool box has been removed from the passenger side floor. It looks like a repair seam behind the door opening. Remember this jeep is 60+ years old. Chances are it has been painted several times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.