1949 Jeep Truck Restoration - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1949 Jeep Truck Restoration

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #61
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I sprayed the bed liner this evening. I had to sand the POR with 80 grit before I sprayed, because the liner adheres better to rough surfaces. The spray job itself went great, couldn't have been any better. My friend backed out of helping me though, so it was a little awkward holding cardboard and spraying. The hole operation took only 10 minutes.

heres some pics:

Before---

After--

Unread 09-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #62
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

oh and I only used half for the underside, the rest (2 more cans) will be used for the floor inside the cab, and underside of the dash....STAY TUNED MORE IS TO COME!
Unread 09-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #63
Bear-Olemiss
1981 CJ5 

Nice work buddy, keep it going.
Bear-Olemiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #64
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Went to my friends today, picked up the radatior, and some other parts. Helped him move some of his Jeeps around to make the place look neater...anyway, im now down another $700 but I hope thats the last $700 bill i will need to do.

I installed the radiator this evening, filled it, 50/50, stared the engine, started up first try...stalled out after 30 seconds and didn't start again I just waled away, because if I kept trying I would have broken something...I have been having a lot to problems with this engine.

PICS:

Last week I bought some tires from JohnA56 - 6 Goodyear MT/R 245/75/r16 tires, for $200. They all have about 22k on them, and what looks like 1/2 tread left. Thanks for those tires John! I will pick them up from my Nana sometime later this fall.

Pics of the tires (the ones John sent me):

Unread 09-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #65
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere View Post
Well I sprayed the bed liner this evening. I had to sand the POR with 80 grit before I sprayed, because the liner adheres better to rough surfaces. The spray job itself went great, couldn't have been any better. My friend backed out of helping me though, so it was a little awkward holding cardboard and spraying. The hole operation took only 10 minutes.

heres some pics:

Before---

After--

LGH,
What kind of gun is that? Where did you get it? How much does it cost?

Thanks

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #66
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

haha that "gun" came with the POR bed liner kit. If you have $250 burning a hole in you pocket, buy the kit, keep the gun, and send me the base, and hardener that comes with it! I love this bed liner stuff!!...I could almost get carried away if im not careful (hmmm....it might look nice if the hole truck is covered in the stuff - LOL)

That gun is pretty cool looking though. I have no idea what kind it is, but its really really really simple...
Unread 09-21-2008, 10:39 PM   #67
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Looks like you sprayed your bench too!

Good job.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #68
Pat_S
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Just stumbled across this thread and was amazed to see the kind of project you're taking on, especially at a young age. May I ask how did you acquire this '49? What made you want to restore it to it's respectable state? Looking at these kind of threads sure puts a smile on my face and threads that are worthy enough to be subscribed or should I say crawled, at least in my account. All I can say is good luck with the restoration and keep us updated. After everything is said and done, I'm stoked to see what the final product will look like - a brand new '49 Jeep truck 4x4.

Talk about dedication right there, I tip my hat to you for the work you've done so far and not bailing out on such a project.

Last edited by Pat_S; 09-22-2008 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: To add a sentence.
Pat_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #69
Pat_S
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Somebody in or around his area, start donating miscellaneous parts and lend him a hand! I'd be down to be a part of it if I lived in VA.

Pat_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #70
erik5387
1984 CJ7 

If you cant get that engine in shape I will put you in touch with a buddy of mine up here....he is rebuilding my '53 Willys engine right now. He isnt much older than you but is qaulified, and bonafide. Check out what he did this past summer:

http://willystrip.wordpress.com/about-us-and-the-trip/

Him and a buddy of his did complete resorations on 2 CJ's and then drove them across the country to Moab and back!!! You can read the entire diary of their trip right there on the site and see some of the problems they encountered driving two 60 year old vehicles several thousand miles across country.
erik5387 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #71
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_S View Post
Just stumbled across this thread and was amazed to see the kind of project you're taking on, especially at a young age. May I ask how did you acquire this '49? What made you want to restore it to it's respectable state? Looking at these kind of threads sure puts a smile on my face and threads that are worthy enough to be subscribed or should I say crawled, at least in my account. All I can say is good luck with the restoration and keep us updated. After everything is said and done, I'm stoked to see what the final product will look like - a brand new '49 Jeep truck 4x4.

Talk about dedication right there, I tip my hat to you for the work you've done so far and not bailing out on such a project.
Well, first to answer your questions. See it all stared, about 2 years ago...

I had been looking for a project car for several months. What I was looking for a "project car" to feed my car passion. I had done my home work. A late 60s mustang was what I wanted(I also had a few other lower on the list). But money was tight, I wanted something that was affordable to restore. I was with my dad driving down the road (had my "learners") on the side of the road I saw a neat looking truck. I pulled over to the side of the road, got out, looked it over, and said, "man thats cool lookin!" I didn't write down the number, but I did write down what it was, a 1949 Jeep Pickup. When I got home I jumped on the computer and a few hours later (we had dial up then) I learned a lot about it. Though I was still searching for something else, I kept my eye on this Jeep. That was in late July 2006. After about 3 weeks it hadn't moved, so the next time I passed it I wrote down the number. I called the number later that evening and got more information about it. The PO had bought it from a local dairy company here in the valley, back in the 60s and then used it as a hunting vehicle up until mid 90s, when it was parked. The guy I bought the Jeep from, bought it as a project, and life got too busy for him and needed the money. He wanted $1200 for it or best offer. He had restored several CJs before too, and seemed to be very knowledgeable, plus he was a mechanic at a European import shop. I asked him how much he thought it would be to restore it, and he said 6-8 thousand; about $1500 to make it road worthy. At that I knew that it would be a nice project! cheap, and something DIFFERENT. I said I was very interested, and that I would have to talk to my parents about it. I call him back a week later - the Jeep still hadn't moved, and asked for him to drive it (it ran, but had no brakes) I meet him the next day on the side of the road. He shows me whats good about it, and whats wrong with it, and then starts it, and shows me how to shift the 3 on the column. I drive it down the road (slowly) - IT WAS FUN!! I come back, he stops it by putting a largish log in fount of me. We talk some more, and eventually I buy it for the full $1200, just because I thought he might also be a good guy to go to for advice, and he was very honest. He said to me just after i handed him the cash, "And you know, I had 4 or 5 people calling me wanting to buy it, but I told him it was already sold. They wanted to "hot rod" it and I didn't want to see another one of these go that same route. I WANTED YOU to buy it!" (*not exact words) a few days later he shows up with a trailer with the Jeep on it, drives it off the trailer, parks it in the garage for me too! I thank him, and he notices my 110 piece tool set, and says I could borrow any tools from him I will need to do the project. I thank again, and he leaves. That was on August 20, 2006. I drive the truck up and down our lane a few times, just for kicks. On August 31, 2006 I take it out one last time, drive it around the field some (with my dad running around with a log to stop me when I wanted to turn around) Take 10 pictures, one being the first one you see in my first post (its scanned in, didn't have a digital camera yet). THE NEXT DAY: I began the project. Labor Day ironically. I drained all the fluids and removed the raditor, hood, fenders, grill, and a lot of other things that day.

Theirs the story for ya

I plan to have it done when it turns 60 years old (2009)

I have been so frustrated about things on this project (still get upset about it sometimes) I take long breaks from it, which last a few months till I figure out what to do next. I also sometimes resent some of the "shortcuts" I have made to save money, and save time (don't get me started about that!). Overall I have honestly enjoyed doing this project. It has gotten me several jobs over the past couple years, and I have met countless people who have helped and encouraged me to continue. I have also become, sorta well known around the area, where I am, in the automotive world. My Dad has also helped me on several occasions, but I usually work alone.

As I see this project wind down, I feel that I am so close to finishing, yet if I write down what still need to be done, and think about it, it becomes shocking - the same can be said on how far I have come.

REMEMBER THIS: You can't build a reputation on what your going to do.

Yeah "crawl" this thread MORE IS TO COME!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS
Unread 09-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #72
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik5387 View Post
If you cant get that engine in shape I will put you in touch with a buddy of mine up here....he is rebuilding my '53 Willys engine right now. He isnt much older than you but is qaulified, and bonafide. Check out what he did this past summer:

http://willystrip.wordpress.com/about-us-and-the-trip/

Him and a buddy of his did complete resorations on 2 CJ's and then drove them across the country to Moab and back!!! You can read the entire diary of their trip right there on the site and see some of the problems they encountered driving two 60 year old vehicles several thousand miles across country.
Thanks for that link I bookmarked it.
Unread 09-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #73
erik5387
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks for that link I bookmarked it.

No problem! So you got someone lined up to do your chrome or have you thought that far ahead? I cant seem to find anyone in my area that can do mine unfortunatly--if you have anybody down your way I for sure would be interested.
Unread 09-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #74
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

their is NO CHROME ON THIS JEEP MY FRIEND!! my color scheme is going to be red, with a black (or maybe white) top, and black doors, and some black trim here and their too; im going to fab some half doors until I FIX the old ones.

no one I know of near me does chrome. though where i used to work at sent their stuff to a place in TENN.
Unread 09-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #75
erik5387
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
their is NO CHROME ON THIS JEEP MY FRIEND!! my color scheme is going to be red, with a black (or maybe white) top, and black doors, and some black trim here and their too; im going to fab some half doors until I FIX the old ones.

no one I know of near me does chrome. though where i used to work at sent their stuff to a place in TENN.
If you still have the Chrome that resided on the front end of your truck, and you wanna get rid of it, let me know. I would love to buy it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.