1949 Jeep Truck Restoration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1949 Jeep Truck Restoration

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
Lifesgoodhere

1949 Jeep Truck Restoration

OK, I didn't know exactly where to put this, but my Jeep Truck has a Cj-2 engine/drivetrain (except the 1-ton rear axle). So Moderators, move it if you don't think it belongs.

On Labor Day 2006 I began my restoration of a 1949 Jeep Truck 4X4.

My teardown was easy, mostly lefty loosie, and ask questions later. I lost the memory card I used to take almost 600 pics of the teardown, but it took only till December 25th 2006 to make it a bare rolling frame.

I was involved heavily into sports that spring and didn't do much, but clean the grease off, remove the suspension, and coat the frame with not one, not two, but three generous coats of POR-15....I also wore a coat on my arms for a few weeks.

During the summer of 2007 I had the engine rebuilt, and began work on cleaning and painting a lot of small parts.

About half way into fall, early October I think, things really started to get rolling, mostly because I had the funds built up from my summer job (Gassman Automotive Parts Dept.). I bought a brand new suspension, and a whole lot of small stuff.

A few months later, after getting the T-90c transmission/D18 transfer case with a WARN overdrive out of my 1963 Cj-3b and cleaning it up a bit; The engine is installed.

Winter and spring 2008 I start working on the bodywork and really begin to become know locally for my hard work and steadfast commitment to getting things done. That earns me 2 jobs, one building a vintage race car, and the other working at a Soda blasting shop.

More recently, summer 2008 I soda blasted all the body work myself, began installing most of the smaller componets onto the chassis, and mock fit the front clip, and started the engine.

What the project looks like as of July 23, 2008.

Well thats it right now, of course this is a VERY brief outline, but if you want to see more detailed pics please ask I will gladly post them. Also I recently began posting videos on You Tube periodically, a link to it is in my sig.

I will try to keep this updated, but I am working really fast right now, so I won't cover everything I do.

BWTM, I am 17 years old and doing this. I have met countless people who have helped me hands on and technically over the phone, and have learned how to do everything through trial and error. I have also tought myself how to weld, and how to fix just about everything from reading and applying.

CHEERS

AS OF JULY 2013...This project is getting finished once and for all!

*The Homestretch ---- Finishing the Hammer. It's on!!
Lifesgoodhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 01:23 AM   #2
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Wow...it seems to be coming along great. Looking forward to seeing final photos.
Unread 07-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
onesourcemike
1983 CJ7 

Looks great, Keep the pictures coming
onesourcemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Looking good. Keep up the work. I'm sure folks here will help out where we can.
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
craigb86
1985 CJ7 

Click Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere View Post
OK, I didn't know exactly where to put this, but my Jeep Truck has a Cj-2 engine/drivetrain (except the 1-ton rear axle). So Moderators, move it if you don't think it belongs.

On Labor Day 2006 I began my restoration of a 1949 Jeep Truck 4X4.

My teardown was easy, mostly lefty loosie, and ask questions later. I lost the memory card I used to take almost 600 pics of the teardown, but it took only till December 25th 2006 to make it a bare rolling frame.

I was involved heavily into sports that spring and didn't do much, but clean the grease off, remove the suspension, and coat the frame with not one, not two, but three generous coats of POR-15....I also wore a coat on my arms for a few weeks.

During the summer of 2007 I had the engine rebuilt, and began work on cleaning and painting a lot of small parts.

About half way into fall, early October I think, things really started to get rolling, mostly because I had the funds built up from my summer job (Gassman Automotive Parts Dept.). I bought a brand new suspension, and a whole lot of small stuff.

A few months later, after getting the T-90c transmission/D18 transfer case with a WARN overdrive out of my 1963 Cj-3b and cleaning it up a bit; The engine is installed.

Winter and spring 2008 I start working on the bodywork and really begin to become know locally for my hard work and steadfast commitment to getting things done. That earns me 2 jobs, one building a vintage race car, and the other working at a Soda blasting shop.

More recently, summer 2008 I soda blasted all the body work myself, began installing most of the smaller componets onto the chassis, and mock fit the front clip, and started the engine.

What the project looks like as of July 23, 2008.

Well thats it right now, of course this is a VERY brief outline, but if you want to see more detailed pics please ask I will gladly post them. Also I recently began posting videos on You Tube periodically, a link to it is in my sig.

I will try to keep this updated, but I am working really fast right now, so I won't cover everything I do.

BWTM, I am 17 years old and doing this. I have met countless people who have helped me hands on and technically over the phone, and have learned how to do everything through trial and error. I have also tought myself how to weld, and how to fix just about everything from reading and applying.

CHEERS
craigb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
heath84CJ7

It amazes me when I see some of the stuff these young guys are doing. Keep up the great work and I will look forward to seeing more pics!!
heath84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Lifesgoodhere

Thanks craigb86!

I ran out of grinder wheels for removing all the cancer from the floor pans, I'll get some more tomorrow. Also I have decided to paint it "craftsman tool box red"
Unread 07-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

^ I like the color choice. Can't wait to see it.
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #9
20KCJ5
1965 CJ5 

Wow! Very inspiring. Please do keep the pics coming.
20KCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
Lifesgoodhere

Got the replacement floor pans in, after cutting out a lot of bad metal (too thin for my liking) still need to do some cutting of the new pans to make it fit just right, and then they will be ready to be welded in.

Unread 08-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
jksull
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere View Post
Got the replacement floor pans in, after cutting out a lot of bad metal (too thin for my liking) still need to do some cutting of the new pans to make it fit just right, and then they will be ready to be welded in.

The truck has come along way keep it up
Here is some easier to see pics.
Jim
jksull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #12
Lifesgoodhere

Thanks Jim!
Unread 08-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #13
Lifesgoodhere

I think I know a way to make your Jeep NEVER rust again...I'm going to try this with my Jeep soon, heres what I plan on doing.

What I plan to do is rough the bare metal up a bit with 120, or maybe 100 grit, then spray several...I wouldn't say layers, but more like heavy dustings of POR-15. This will seal the metal, and it will NEVER rust again. Then as the POR-15 reaches its flash time (3 hours) I will go over with a different gun, and spray a few heavy layers off good high quality sandable primer. This will then allow me to use ANY type of paint I want, and know I will NEVER have RUST bubble through the paint EVER AGAIN

If this works, I will post a whole DIY of how to.

Update on the project: floor pans are welded in, and am now getting the dents out.
Unread 08-05-2008, 11:20 PM   #14
Lifesgoodhere

Looking back, and adding up receipts and invoices tonight I learn I have spent only ~$4,000 on my project. Thats not including the original cost of $1200 to buy it to begin with. I most likely will have somewhere in the $5,000 range when im done.

I need a new fuel pump (another new one) and a new radiator. After that I should be able to do a test drive! NOW where's that APPLE CRATE
Unread 08-05-2008, 11:53 PM   #15
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Wow...and I thought I bit off a pretty big chunk when I bought my CJ-7 at 16.

By the way, where are you in VA? I'm in NC on I-95 just south of the VA border (~1.5 hr south of Richmond)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.