19?? CJ7 build thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 19?? CJ7 build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #91
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksrustyjeep View Post
You did an unbelievable amount of work to your jeep! it truly had to have been a labor of love.. i was looking at the pictures thinking ,Man can i ever relate to that, the giant holes,bondo dust everywhere, burnt skin, the smell of burning paint,bondo,fiberglass,grinding discs, money flying out your wallet... i redid a 78 ,but used replacement panels on the biggest portion of it. it had a 304,th400 quadratrac with lo range,dash clock,tach, and it was about the same color of green when i got it as was yours. originally it was brown, but when i got done with it, it was bright yellow. i wish i still had it. i sold it and lost a ton of money, but i just didn't have the time and money to invest in it any further. i have a pretty nice 86 now,though.

haha You hit the nail on the head!! It may be a lot of money, but it sure is rewarding!

I did have some time at home this past week and worked on the ole girl a little bit. I didn't take a whole lotta pictures but I got a few more bars done for the roll cage (not welded in yet, but cut and notched) and I also solved a fuel sending unit issue.

Don't have access to the digital angle master anymore so I'm back to caveman methods:

Now for the interesting part....the fuel sending unit is practically brand new. So it might be a year old or two old but it's got maybe 2 hours of operating time on it. Well, the fuel gauge never has worked quite right, but when i installed it, I had so many things goin on at once, I didn't really mess with it...too anxious to get the gas tank back in and get it runnin again.

So this past week, I set out to hunt down the problem and try to fix it. So I pulled the gas tank out (half full of gas ) and pulled out the fuel sending unit only to find the float full of gas! This brand new float had a crack on each side of it right by the groove where it snaps onto the sending unit.

I have no idea how these cracks got there or why but there you have it. After a conversation with a knowledgeable parts man/jeep guru (aka future father-in-law) I ordered a replacement Ford float which is made of brass instead of plastic. Hopefully, this will hold up better.

That's all I got for now. I did some wiring on tailights/headlights/brake lights but nothing to brag about..... hopefully will get some more work done sometime soon but with another full semester of school coming up, it's hard to tell....

Unread 11-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #92
cj5boggers
1976 CJ5 

Looking good man, can't wait to see the final results.
cj5boggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #93
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5boggers View Post
Looking good man, can't wait to see the final results.

Thanks, I can't wait to have some time to work on it!

School is extremely difficult this semester and I have no time to do anything. Supposedly graduating in May (pending grades ) so hopefully after that, i will find a job and a house complete with garage so I can keep weldin away

More updates to come......it may just be awhile.
Unread 06-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #94
biker250
1979 CJ7 

good news everybody.....I've FINALLY graduated college and will be moving home where my Jeep is and will continue working on it in the near future!!!

The build WILL continue!! I was home a couple weeks ago and had to put a new battery in it....fired it up and putting around the backroads with it. It's not running good at all...it's got no power at all (can't even drive it in high range)....I checked the timing and it's at 6 deg. at idle which is what the book calls for....so it's gotta be carb.

I want to get rid of the Carter that's on there....it's got all the emissions crap on it...what would you guys recommend for a good replacement carb that doesn't deal with all the emissions stuff? I just want a good reliable carb...any suggestions?

Thanks.
Unread 06-25-2010, 07:29 AM   #95
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

So, are you tired of everyone telling you that you have your whole life ahead of you yet?

I have been out of school now for 14 years... get moving quick and save as much as you can... it doesn't get any cheaper as you get older

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #96
hippiejesse
1973 CJ5 

Hey, nice looking build! I just put a weber 2 bbl on my '73, it's a no fuss carb, but it runs really well now, might be something to consider...
Aftermarket Frm Page 1

Keep it up, and keep us informed!
Unread 12-27-2010, 06:10 AM   #97
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiablejeep View Post
So, are you tired of everyone telling you that you have your whole life ahead of you yet?

I have been out of school now for 14 years... get moving quick and save as much as you can... it doesn't get any cheaper as you get older

cb

hahaha yep!

I've been tinkering on the jeep the last couple weeks. Replacing the melted plastic valve cover with an aluminum one. Put a Motorcraft carb on it and it's still running like crap. I have pulled the distributor and the timing set. Replaced the timing set as there was a ton of play in the chain. I've checked and double checked and triple checked the timing and the firing order and I cannot figure out where I've got it screwed up. It won't even attempt to run unless there's about 30 degrees of advance in it.

No joke, 30+ degrees. It won't even idle down at 6 degrees where it's supposed to be. I've even replaced the balancer thinking that the rubber might've gave way and the pulley slipped or something, but that was not the case.

Gonna put it all together with the new timing set and check my distributor again and see if I can't get it right somehow....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.