19?? CJ7 build thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 19?? CJ7 build thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-19-2007, 06:30 PM   #76
ugahopeful34
1998 TJ Wrangler 

do you know what the running rate for a cage like this to be welded on is?

ugahopeful34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2007, 10:18 PM   #77
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahopeful34
do you know what the running rate for a cage like this to be welded on is?

I got a quote a couple years ago for a very basic cookie cutter cage PRE-CUT.......NOT welded in for $250. All welding had to be done by yourself. I've never had a quote of a cage welded in.

I bought 6 sticks of 1.5" .125" wall HREW pipe for $14.41/stick & a 10' stick of 3/16" X 4.5" for $8.42. So just a little bit over $100 in material.
Unread 12-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #78
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

great work on the cage...
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2007, 05:54 AM   #79
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Day 3 on the cage went well. We messed up a measurement on one bend & had to re-do it which is frustrating but no big deal. 30 minutes later, we were still cookin with gas. The "skeleton" is pretty much done. Today is the last day of the build (so tomorrow will be the last day you guys will see pictures in awhile) and we have a lot to get done in a short amount of time. There is no way we're going to get it all done, but we need to at least get all the BENT stuff done b/c I return the borrowed bender today.

Notchin the door jam bars:

Neat picture...I did all the notchin with cut-off wheels on a 4.5" angle grinder:

Notch done:

Door jams done:

Shootin for 5-6" of head clearance in the back & we got it!

Got the rear part done now too...top view:

Skeleton done!

Cubby holes have shrunk in size:

Worked a lot on the engine last night too. Did a complete rebuild on the carb replacing gaskets, needles, float seat, etc....still sounds like it's missing a low RPM's. Played with the timing a little more but still sounds like it's missing. Brand new dist, rotor, cap, wires, plugs. But STILL don't know about where all the vacuum lines need to go. Can anybody help me with that? Particularly where the vacuum advance for the dist. needs to go.

So with tonight being the last day for the build, we're going to focus on the frame tie-ins, the connectin bar at the very back top corner, & the 2 support bars that run from windshield hoop to middle hoop up at the top because all those bars need bent. All other triangulation is mainly straight bar & I can do that later without a bender.
Unread 12-21-2007, 06:11 AM   #80
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Well last night was the last night I'll get to work on it for awhile. Might have some time to do some things to it over Xmas break....but after that, it's back to school

Pictures won't show that a lot got accomplished but we did get a few things done. Spent a lot of time trying to get it to run right. I'll post that problem in another thread. Still have to make the dash bar, 4-point bar, finish the top pieces, run a few other triangles & weld it all together. It's just tacked right now.

Must've been dusty:

Front view:

Side view of the back connecting bar up at the top...that one was tricky but I like how it turned out:

Well, that's it for now. Hope to have updates sometime in the future. Thanks for all the help & comments.

_
Unread 01-02-2008, 06:57 AM   #81
biker250
1979 CJ7 

I did make some progress on her over Christmas break. I don't have a lot of the pictures I took due to dial-up internet at home but I'll get them soon hopefully.

Got the rollcage welded up solid and a few more pieces added (i.e. 4-point harness bar & a couple other random bars). Then got it painted with Rustoleum flat black and bolted back in. Will get those pictures up soon....

Here's a couple that I did get uploaded....these were taken before the cage was fully welded/painted/etc...

First time out and got it buried.....turns out 4wd isn't workin. Got something wrong with the lockout hubs.....didn't have time to fix them.

Unread 01-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #82
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

mmmmmmmmmm - looks like it loves dirt
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2008, 05:58 AM   #83
YJjake12
1993 YJ Wrangler 

HEY! i just checked out your jeep build. you know me from IXCR. stuntjake912. I build jeeps as well, Im doing my 3rd one right now, this is my second build from the ground up/bare frame up. I just extended my frame to 100" and about to mount 1 ton axels under it. You work looks good. are you racing this weekend?
YJjake12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2008, 01:22 AM   #84
Cerealdaemon
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Freakin sweet build, I hope that school is going well, but its summer now, any progress on this beast?
Unread 07-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #85
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerealdaemon View Post
Freakin sweet build, I hope that school is going well, but its summer now, any progress on this beast?

Not really any progress. I'm just never home to work on it...always at school or working. School's rollin along ever so slowly. 3 more semesters 'till that engineering degree (assuming all classes are passed ) and then it will be time to DIG IN!!! I do have the pics where me n Dad welded up the rollcage. He used to weld for a living and has a nice Miller mig so I let him handle the important stuff.

Gettin ready to tear it apart. We were able to remove the whole cage in 2 parts. Where the bars come BACK off the main hoop is where we split it so the whole "front" (from main hoop forward) came off in one piece and then the back piece came off in one part.

Here we tacked in some fenceposts before removing the cage so it did not twist up too much when we welded it all together just to make sure it would bolt back down when we were done

A better view of the fence post reinforcement:

Another bar that was added running along the bench seat:

There's the front half of the cage about to get welded up:

Dad layin a bead to secure one of the mounting "feet" to one of the uprights

Still weldin....

His disclaimer before he even started was that he hasn't welded consistently for some 15 years so he was WAY out of practice....but I don't think they turned out too bad....

Unread 07-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #86
goodolkell
1979 CJ5 

That is coming together very well, your doing a d@mn good job! One thing though and you may have already thought of it, Drain holes? especially in the cubby? Just a thought...Nice work
Unread 07-15-2008, 05:43 AM   #87
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Got her out & drove around the countryside over the July 4th weekend. As you can see, still dont' have the roll cage all the way done. Just am never home to work on it unfortunately, but she is lookin good!!

Unread 07-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #88
stickslinger

Wow! All I did was replace the floors and the rocker panels on mine and when I was finished I was kicking myself for not just replacing the whole tub purely because of the time and labor I had in it.

Good job, that's gonna be a fun ride.
stickslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #89
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Just thought I'd let you guys know that the ole girl hasn't died. She's parked in the barn waitin for some attention. No progress since last summer. Hoping to tinker on it some more this summer......
Unread 07-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #90
chucksrustyjeep
1986 CJ7 

1979 cj build

You did an unbelievable amount of work to your jeep! it truly had to have been a labor of love.. i was looking at the pictures thinking ,Man can i ever relate to that, the giant holes,bondo dust everywhere, burnt skin, the smell of burning paint,bondo,fiberglass,grinding discs, money flying out your wallet... i redid a 78 ,but used replacement panels on the biggest portion of it. it had a 304,th400 quadratrac with lo range,dash clock,tach, and it was about the same color of green when i got it as was yours. originally it was brown, but when i got done with it, it was bright yellow. i wish i still had it. i sold it and lost a ton of money, but i just didn't have the time and money to invest in it any further. i have a pretty nice 86 now,though.
chucksrustyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.