19?? CJ7 build thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 19?? CJ7 build thread

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 12-13-2007, 05:58 AM   #61
biker250
1979 CJ7 

It's ALIVE!!! Last night was very intersesting. Found problems yet found loads of satisfaction. First of all, I was using I think it was JeepHammer's wiring schematic from some other thread on the ignition wiring...basically how to wire up the starting solenoid, battery, coil, & alternator and in the schematic, it indicated you had to use a diode or resistor on terminal #1 (the "excite" terminal) on the alternator.

Well.....i didn't do that and I think I found out why i should. Once I got the engine running, that wire was glowin red...then I tried to shut the engine off & it kept running. Additionally, the computer fried. I had a backup computer so I unplugged the alternator & plugged in the new computer & it runs fine!

Can anybody tell me what exactly was happening there?

Also, tied into the coil cap is a wire that is supposed to go to the "capacitor jumper".....i don't know what to do with this wire...can somebody help?

Last question, the hose that goes to the advance on the distributor...where does it go?

New air cleaner is goin to require a longer bolt....

New bolt welded on:

Painless wiring is jealous of this!!!

You can see that "capacitor jumper" wire in this picture...I don't know where it goes?

Don't have the looms installed yet, but you get the idea:

Engine bay:

Still need to finish the paint job & paint the grill:

Seats installed...still need to drill holes & install seat belts:

Unread 12-13-2007, 05:59 AM   #62
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Dash so far...still have to wire up radio, CB, & speakers along with head/tailights:

Rear end:

Unread 12-13-2007, 09:52 AM   #63
badge1236
1978 CJ7 

Sounds great. Thanks for the response on the wiring. I can see your points. When I get to that point I will have more wiring because I want to be able to use it as a weekend driver and trail rig. Again looks great.
Unread 12-17-2007, 06:46 AM   #64
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Progress is still being made although there aren't a lot of pictures to prove it. It's mostly a lot of little stuff that takes time. Been spending a lot of time wiring the dash. Radio, CB, rocker switches, gauges. About got er whipped though. Still have to do lights.

Can anybody guess what these will be used for?

Some buddies talked me into building the rollcage now. We have 3 days to do it....think it can be done??? We have a mechanical bender that has been proven to work. That's 6 21' sticks of 1.5" HREW .125 wall. Will also be using 3/16 plate to attach to the body and maybe doing frame tie ins if we have time. Never bent tube let alone made a rollcage before so add it to the list of things learned during this project!

Got the rear seat brackets done. Had to raise the rear seat so people back there could see b/c the front seats are so high. Raisin it 4" so they'll have a good view. Plus, it makes room to store stuff underneath the seat.

All it is is 2X2 square tubing cut to length & welded together for 4" of lift:

Starting on the rollcage tonight so we'll see how that goes. I read through the entire sticky on rollcages at the top of the Fabrication forum but any additional help/advice will be much appreciated!
Unread 12-17-2007, 10:12 AM   #65
biker250
1979 CJ7 

This is what I'm thinkin for the roll cage. The top X's aren't drawn in cuz you couldnt' see them anyway...and neither is the dash bar. Any other suggestions?

Unread 12-17-2007, 10:42 AM   #66
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/official-cage-idea-pic-discussion-thread-128237/ See if this gives you any ideas. Lookin great so far. I am very impressed.
Unread 12-17-2007, 12:21 PM   #67
badge1236
1978 CJ7 

I would take the shop vac out before you road test it. They do not offer much in the way of support in a roll over. Looks great.
Unread 12-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #68
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge1236
I would take the shop vac out before you road test it. They do not offer much in the way of support in a roll over. Looks great.

BWAAAAAaaaaaahahahahahahahah

looks great
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 06:09 AM   #69
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128237 See if this gives you any ideas. Lookin great so far. I am very impressed.

I've read every post of that sticky at LEAST 8 times.

Quote:
The shop vac needs to be in there for the road test b/c it's gonna make a large pile when all the bondo falls off & onto the ground!!!

Well, we started makin the rollcage last night. I had to recruit a couple friends for this one....Those 21 footers are hard to maneuver in a barn & would be impossible to get in the bender by yourself! It was a blast though. It took us 3 tries to get a 90 deg. bend in the spot that we wanted....but we got er dun.

The bender....a Model 3. Mechanical but works plenty well:

Our first 90* bend where we wanted it!

The first hoop....it'll be the middle hoop (right behind the front seats). Nice & square and within 1/4" of the outside width we were shootin for:

Usin this nifty little tool to cut the base at an angle where it will be mounted to the base plate:

This tool is VERY helpful. It's an angle finder that you can zero whereever you want. Worked best when were bending perpendicular to the hoop (i.e. windshield hoop)

Cuttin the 3/16 plate for base plates:

Hoop up in the bender:

Makin sure it's square:

Unread 12-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #70
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Puttin the 3rd & 4th bends in the hoop...this is where it got interesting!!!

4 bends done, 2 to go:

That's as far as we got last night but that's a huge step of progress there. To get all the calculations done of the angles of the hoops & determine the heights of the hoops and where the bends needed to be, etc, etc, etc is very tedious and time consuming but will hopefully be well worth it!

We'll be at it again tonight.....then Wed. night....and hopefully have it done by Thursday night. That's the absolute deadline..Thurs. night. Feels like we're on Overhaulin' or somethin where they have those deadlines they have to meet.
Unread 12-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #71
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Austin,
I was supposed to get you some pics of the manifold or carb, sorry been busy as heck and don't rem what you needed, let me know & I'll provide links or shoot pics tomorrow or when I get back.

BTW, nice 4 thumper. I'm more of a 2 smoke -r:
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:04 PM   #72
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Nice job you're doing there. About the only thing I could think of to help is (and it's too late now anyway) to have had the tub sandblasted before you did the bodywork. Would have saved lots of grinding.

You'll have a very unique Jeep when you're done. I like the storage cubbies behind the wheelwells, too.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 06:29 AM   #73
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
I was supposed to get you some pics of the manifold or carb, sorry been busy as heck and don't rem what you needed, let me know & I'll provide links or shoot pics tomorrow or when I get back.
Hey Dave, I need pictures or information on all the vacuum lines. Particularly the vacuum advance for the carb & also where the PCV hose is supposed to go. ALSO, I don't know where the wire goes that comes off the one side of the coil. On the schematic, it says it goes to the "Capacitor Jumper". I have no idea what that is or where it is.

Nice bike by the way! Glad to see a fellow Yamaha rider! I try to stay close to the ground though....that motocross stuff will get you messed up in a hurry. Harescrambles are a good time & definitely physically challenging!!

Quote:
About the only thing I could think of to help is (and it's too late now anyway) to have had the tub sandblasted before you did the bodywork. Would have saved lots of grinding.

You couldn't be more right!!! That would've saved me a TON of time! If only I would've know there was gonna be THAT much bondo underneath that pretty paint....... oh well, lesson learned.

Roll cage day 2 went pretty well. It's actually starting to look like a cage now. The windshield hoop turned out really well...we were shocked we got it as square & level as we did. We were off 1/2* here. and 1/8" there but nothing you can't tweak by pullin on it just a little bit.

Windshield hoop done:

12 base plates....6 on the top & 6 on the bottom for frame tie ins:

Tackin the base plates to the windshield hoop:

Got the windshield hoop where we wanted then marked the holes to be drilled by using spray paint:

Windshield hoop bolted down:

Still makes me smile:

Middle hoop installed. We wanted a 4" rise to the middle hoop...and we were pretty darn close:

Notchin some tube:

We were shootin for 6" of head clearance and got 5.5"....I'll take it!

Unread 12-19-2007, 06:32 AM   #74
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Startin to look like a cage:

Unread 12-19-2007, 07:31 AM   #75
aero mech
1980 CJ7 

Looking good, I searched for the parking light, and only came up with two very used covers with part of the chrome ring inside. we must have tossed the assemblies when we finsished my dad's 5. Anyway looking good. JC
80 CJ-7 Straight six,comp cam,4.0 head, cherokee header, DUI distributor, Affordable FI TBI ,4.10's wide track amc 20 aussie locked and trussed, Dana 30 aussie locked, PSC steering box, 4.5 RE lift, twin sticked dana 300 with Lo max 4to1 35"STT'S ON DC-1 "It's getting there"
aero mech is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.