19?? CJ7 build thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 19?? CJ7 build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-10-2007, 06:46 AM   #46
biker250
1979 CJ7 

One last thing on the clutch linkage...there was a guy posted something the other day about those clips that keep the blushings from coming out...he was looking for an alternative b/c he couldn't find the clips anywhere. Well, I ran into a similar problem....it took me forever to figure out that those bloody clips go on the OUTSIDE of the bellcrank. I spent forever trying to foce those things in like an internal snap ring and by the time I had it figured out, I had broke one of the clips....SOOOO safety wire it is.

Making brackets to flushmount the CB into the dash:

Gettin a little too fancy for my own good:

CB mount done:

Now you see why I was gettin "fancy"...the semi-circle is so it's not blocking the speaker (even though i have an external speaker for it)...and I cut the slots so it slides onto the other 2 braces so I had something a little better to weld to:

Dash done!

Unread 12-10-2007, 06:51 AM   #47
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Went to bleed the brakes...yea right!!!! No bleeders or lines or anything was coming loose without a BFH. Took the rear drum rotors off and it was a nightmare in there. Springs broken, adjuster cable broken, rust everywhere (to be expected)...it just wasn't gonna work. NAPA had everything except the wheel cylinders which are supposed to be in today so we'll probably be doin brakes tonight:

Base coat:

And of course my little discover in case you guys didn't see it on the other thread "Cracked block." There's about a .5-.75" crack headed straight "north" from the block drain plug hole. Still debating what to try first to fix it:

Unread 12-10-2007, 09:00 AM   #48
kappa505
1980 CJ5 

Maybe you answered this already, but are you planning on having a heater? It is pretty cramped back behind the dash in mine.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." Supposedly President Coolidge
kappa505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #49
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappa505
Maybe you answered this already, but are you planning on having a heater? It is pretty cramped back behind the dash in mine.

Nope. No heater. You can see in the picture that I fiberglassed over the holes for the blower motor & the heater hoses. I don't have a top for it, the blower didn't work, the heater core was plugged, none of the controls worked so I just said forget it....too much money right now for ALL of that for no more than what I use it for......muddin in the summertime

Unread 12-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #50
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

and the build continues...

nice
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #51
badge1236
1978 CJ7 

Looks like you are doing a great job. Keep it up. Are you doing the camo paint yourself and if so is it a pattern or just free hand?
Unread 12-10-2007, 10:28 AM   #52
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge1236
Looks like you are doing a great job. Keep it up. Are you doing the camo paint yourself and if so is it a pattern or just free hand?

Yes, I'm doing the paint myself. (Krylon rattle cans) It is free hand...no patterns. Makes it kinda tough with no patterns b/c I can't make up my mind how i want to do it but I think I'll be able to live with it. The only problem I've had is remembering which color is in which hand so half the time I accidentally start to shoot sand instead of black and have to fix it

One question for you guys: I noticed that recently all my paint is flaking off real bad but only on the spots where there is bondo. Does Rustoleum primer not stick to bondo? What else would be causing it? Did I paint when it was too cold? Did the bondo just "settle"? Any help? Thanks!
Unread 12-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #53
79cj7reny
1979 CJ7 

How thick was the bondo? If you lay it on more than say 1/8", it'll shrink too much and the paint will crack. If you have to go thick, put several thin coats on, making sure each coat is dry before applying the next coat.
79cj7reny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2007, 06:44 AM   #54
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79cj7reny
How thick was the bondo? If you lay it on more than say 1/8", it'll shrink too much and the paint will crack. If you have to go thick, put several thin coats on, making sure each coat is dry before applying the next coat.

I hope you're right! Bondo is more than 1/8" thick in most places so I'm just gonna scrap all the flakes off, resand, & re-paint....another benefit of using spray paint!!!

Progress is coming in leaps & bounds now boys...she's on a roll!!! the light at the end of the tunnel is gettin brighter! Got the new rear drum brakes installed last night. Had to replace everything, they were shot! All the springs, adj. cable, wheel cylinders, shoes, lines...and then it took about 1.5 hours but after pumping & pumping & pumping...then open bleeder, close bleeder, repeat 500X, we finally got PRESSURE!!! Huge hurdle tackled....I was very relieved when I couldn't push the pedal to the floor anymore. Remember, this chassis came off ebay from who knows where and THEN sat outside in the weather for a year so to get the brakes to work is in short order of a miracle!!

Wiring is coming along nicely...lots of soldering & heat shrinking but I like wiring so it's fun.

Getting everything ready to go to electrical war:

A little solder action on an ignition wire:

Side note: Not sure how bad y'all got hit but we've had a huge icestorm come thru here dumping freezing rain all weekend so I took a couple pictures to try to show how much it was. The Dodge was one big block of ice goin down the road:

New drum ready to rock 'n roll:

Dash wiring gettin a lil complex....but trying to do it all nice like:

Pictures of the flaking paint:

Unread 12-11-2007, 06:45 AM   #55
biker250
1979 CJ7 

New fender style!

She's startin' to look mean:

Tonight, I should be able to finish up the wiring or get pretty close...then it'll be time to add oil & gasoline and try to get it to start! We'll see how it goes...
Unread 12-11-2007, 10:14 AM   #56
aero mech
1980 CJ7 

Looks great, Thought of adding some round tubbing to the edge of the fenders to brace them. Nice work. aslo i might have an old parking light laying around if so its yours for shippping jc
80 CJ-7 Straight six,comp cam,4.0 head, cherokee header, DUI distributor, Affordable FI TBI ,4.10's wide track amc 20 aussie locked and trussed, Dana 30 aussie locked, PSC steering box, 4.5 RE lift, twin sticked dana 300 with Lo max 4to1 35"STT'S ON DC-1 "It's getting there"
aero mech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #57
badge1236
1978 CJ7 

Looks great. I get confused about which color is in which hand when I do it that way so I just do one color at a time. As for the Bond a good primer should help. The rest looks great. Just wondering why you didn't get a preassembled wiring kit. Wouldn't that have been much easier than doing your own harness? Just wondering.
Unread 12-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #58
wh74415
1979 CJ7 

OMG!!! this is the best build i have seen yet!!! your doing a great job.
wh74415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #59
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Looks great, Thought of adding some round tubbing to the edge of the fenders to brace them. Nice work. aslo i might have an old parking light laying around if so its yours for shippping jc

Yea, if I had a tube bender & a little bit more time (this build officially ENDS on Dec. 21st) I would like to add the tubing. They are very weak. Any sizeable tree branch will probably do some damage. They'd probably flutter pretty good goin down the highway at 60 MPH but this ole girl won't be doin any speeds like that. I thought about welding some angle iron on the bottom of those but just decided to leave it be until I can do it right with tubing.

I'd love to take that parking light off your hands if you can find it. If you can find it, PM me....

Quote:
Just wondering why you didn't get a preassembled wiring kit. Wouldn't that have been much easier than doing your own harness? Just wondering.

Reason #1: Of a whole stock wiring harness, all I need (LITERALLY) is wiring for head, park, & tailights (2 wires length of tub), fuse block, engine control wiring. That accounts for maybe 40% of a stock wiring harness. The rest is for a bunch of junk I don't need like dash lights & heater controls, horn, safety switches, reverse light, indicators, etc, etc...

Rearon #2: My old harness was shot...shorted several places & melted wires left & right. So new harness: $150ish. My harness: $30 in wire + $4 in solder + $10 in heat shrink + $5 worth of electrical connectors + $10 worth fuses & fuse block + time = much cheaper without all the wires I don't need.

Reason #3: With my dash being custom, I would've had a lot of additional wiring to the stock harness anyway. 2 speakers, a radio out of an '02 TJ, a CB, 4 rocker switches, & 3 AutoMeter gauges so basically, I would've used a $150 stock harness just for the fuse block, wiring for the head/tailights, & some of the ignition stuff.

Yea, it might've been easier but I enjoy wiring....I like making it clean and taking my time making all the connections good with solder, heat shrink, & elec. tape & being able to run the wires however I want to. So to me, it was an easy decision. If I hadn't set the time aside to do it, then it would've been a problem. Plus, once you see my ignition, you'll understand....patience, pictures to come soon!
Unread 12-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #60
White92
1984 CJ7 

Great buildup!

I don't even have a gf, between a CJ and a GF a man could go crazy.

[COLOR="Blue"]Blue Jeep Club Member #238[/COLOR]
[url]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q120/traviswhite92/DSC07176.jpg[/url]

[B]Hemi Club member #17[/B]
White92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.