19?? CJ7 build thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 19?? CJ7 build thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-06-2007, 06:13 AM   #31
biker250
1979 CJ7 

That whole rusty panel is getting replaced:

Cardboard is fabricating's best friend:

Replacement piece done:

Old one cut out and sitting by new one...you can see how I left the very edge all the way around (including mounting holes to the tub) for reference:

Fittin er up:

Welded in:

Cancer gone:

Another cancerous cell:

Fittin a new piece and markin for bolt holes:

Out with the old:

Unread 12-06-2007, 06:14 AM   #32
biker250
1979 CJ7 

In with the new....and a little reinforcement:

Reinforcement:

Unread 12-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #33
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

I'm proud of you young man, you have done an exceptional job. Your dad raised you right (you have skilz) and I'm sure this Jeep will mean a lot more to you that if you had gone out and replaced everything with new. Keep up the good work and keep posting the pics, you're an inspiration and a welcome addition to the site!
Unread 12-06-2007, 06:35 PM   #34
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

Wow, man, that is some great work. You definitely have some skill with a torch.

Are you planning on sanding the tub to smoothen it out (after you shoot the primer)? I was just wondering, because I used some rattle can Rustoleum primer, and that stuff is the absolute worst stuff you can use when you want to prime, sand/smooth, then prime again. It is a b*tch to sand...
Unread 12-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #35
79cj7reny
1979 CJ7 

Nice work man! Obviously it would have been easier to put a yj tub on, but I think we can all appreciate what can be done with the right skills and tools. By the looks, there's probably more replacement metal than there is original, and that's a s#!t load of work! I think that you're a perfect example of someone who appreciates hard work and the DIY attitude. Keep us posted!
79cj7reny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #36
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

I love this build - NICE WORK
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 05:59 AM   #37
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Thank you for the generous comments guys. It's nice to show people the project who actually understand the amount of work that is actually involved.....most people just smile and say "Cool"

Fatman: I owe a lot of what I know to Dad...he raised me in the garage teaching me a little here & there. He restored (back to mint factory condition....not heap of metal mud buggy) a Jeep before I was born and actually sold it to help pay for me after I was born so my bad on that. But I've learned an awful lot just from reading stuff on the internet....and of course the best way to learn is just doing it.

Subhaven: Sometimes I wish I had a torch! All my cutting has been with cutoff wheels on the 4.5" angle grinder or sawzall. I've been through probably 50 cutoff wheels or so. Also, I didn't do any sanding on the tub. the bondo job was so rough and the body panels are so out of square that it's really kinda pointless to even TRY for a "nice-looking" shiny paint job ...I already have the base coat of olive green (Krylon rattle can) down and I really like how it looks. When I get the fenders painted & assembled along with the hood, I will shoot the sand & black to complete the camo paint job. I did do some sanding on the primer on different parts (particularly the hood) however and I don't have anything to compare it to so I don't know if it was easy or hard....it was all wet sanding with 400 grit and the only thing I noticed was little balls of primer everywhere that I couldn't get to wipe off until it dried....
Unread 12-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #38
aero mech
1980 CJ7 

Nice work i thought I was cold in the hanger this mourning and it was 29*. Man you have more new metal than old in that tub. Looks good keep the pics coming. jc
80 CJ-7 Straight six,comp cam,4.0 head, cherokee header, DUI distributor, Affordable FI TBI ,4.10's wide track amc 20 aussie locked and trussed, Dana 30 aussie locked, PSC steering box, 4.5 RE lift, twin sticked dana 300 with Lo max 4to1 35"STT'S ON DC-1 "It's getting there"
aero mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #39
my73CJ
1973 CJ5 

wow, nice work, must be nice to have the time, equip and knowledge to do all your own work. Good work and good luck getter her finished, looking good
my73CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 11:05 AM   #40
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Lots of time invested there, good job! One question though, did you grind off the VIN sticker on the dash? It appears to be there in one pic but its hard to tell if its still there in the after pics. Just wondering because if its still going to be driven on the street with the amount of customizing you've done to the tub, you may get some unwanted attention from the cops and/or inspection orders. Having all the original VIN's would help relieve any potential future headaches if the origins of the Jeep came into question (ie. stolen, chopped etc.)
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #41
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore
Lots of time invested there, good job! One question though, did you grind off the VIN sticker on the dash? It appears to be there in one pic but its hard to tell if its still there in the after pics. Just wondering because if its still going to be driven on the street with the amount of customizing you've done to the tub, you may get some unwanted attention from the cops and/or inspection orders. Having all the original VIN's would help relieve any potential future headaches if the origins of the Jeep came into question (ie. stolen, chopped etc.)

It's awesome how thorough all the guys on JF are....can't slip anything through the cracks!!

Yea, I sanded the sticker off there. It was cut up from tree limbs & faded from weather and unreadable anyway for the most part. Plus, it's got a new frame under it and I didn't get a title with the new frame (not that anybody would ever know)....but the only way I think I'll ever have a problem is if I sell it out of state and it would require some kind of inspection.

But no big deal....I'm from a small town in southern Indiana where THEE (one & only on duty) cop will probably just pull me over to admire the rig.

Already have a clean title so plating it will be cake....no worries there. Another nice catch though!

Weekend coming up quick....hopefully lots of progress although single digits will keep the muscles moving slowly
Unread 12-07-2007, 03:46 PM   #42
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

I think one of the best things about your thread biker250, is I can appreciate all that you are doing, having done it as well, but I don't have the dry skin and rusty metal taste in my ,mouth I had when "getting my experiance" and my ears arn't ringing - hahahahahah - more pics please hahahah
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #43
jakemary
1977 CJ7 

nice job so far.
jakemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #44
burtonsnowman
1984 CJ7 

Lookin' good!

Keep up the detailed photos of your progress!
"Six in a row makes it go"
...and a driveway full of Subarus...
burtonsnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 05:40 AM   #45
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Put in about 30+ hours on the ole girl through this weekend so we got a lot done. As some of you know from my other thread, I ran into the slight problem of a cracked block and I'm still waiting to make a decision on what to do about it....but I did decide to continue with the build despite. I'll tell ya, when I saw that crack, my heart sunk more than when my last g/f dumped me.

This is the backside of where the clutch linkage bolts to the body. It was pretty weak and having to extend all the clutch linkage stuff, I figured I'd do a little reinforcing:

Support plate added:

Painting the fenders:

Cut the clutch push rod to lengthen it:

Clutch linkage done!.....I might've stole Fatman's idea about tying the bracket to the frame

Added fiberglass for support on the back of the dash where I welded in the new metal...also used it to act as a backer so I could put bondo on the front of the dash to smooth it out:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.