19?? CJ7 build thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 19?? CJ7 build thread

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #16
Rubi22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Man you have a project on your hands. Good work and keep it up..can't wait to see it ready for the trail.

Rubi22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #17
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I think it is great that you took something that was in tough shape and have it looking really good for the purposes that you wanted it built for.

Aside from the rear section, it still looks like the way it was when you started working on it. The extra tire clearance is definitely nice, add in that BL and you have plenty of room.

The 2 comments I have are

1) Radiator exposure... I know you dropped it down, but if you put a winch in front of it, you might not have anything blowing through it since there will be a lot of stuff in the way. Are you planning on running some sort of electric fan? I couldn't really tell from the pictures how much blockage there was.

2) Turd picture made me laugh. I had something similar when I pulled out the clutch setup. Good news is that there was grease in there. I have pulled them out bone dry before.

Good work and keep the pictures coming!

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #18
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Just looking at pics of all that body work wore me out!! Wow! Looking forward to seeing the finished product..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2007, 06:58 PM   #19
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

That was alot of work. Great job. When are you trying to have her done? What color? and what size tires do you want to put on?
Unread 12-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #20
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the compliments guys...it's definitely been a ton of work but it's my first real project like this and my first time doing any real welding so it's been a fun learning experience.

certifiablejeep, the blockage isn't bad right now at all so I'm just going to keep the stock fan...however, if I ever build some kind of a guard to protect the lower radiator hanging below the grille, then I might have some problems b/c the guard would potentially be blocking a lot of airflow...

LSU, I'm hoping to have her done by next week. I ran into a pretty big problem with my front D. side fender tonight that's gonna require some crazy fab. that might not turn out pretty...I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do exactly. But yea, end of next week (fingers crossed). And I'll be stickin with the 33X12.50 TSL's that it's got right now. I'd love to upgrade but $$$ prohibits that anytime soon. I'm sure I could fit 35 and maybe even 37's in there without much trouble...but that'll have to come in time.
Unread 12-04-2007, 02:07 AM   #21
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Sheesh...I got tired just looking at the pics of all that work to salvage the body...I'd have just bailed on it and picked up a $300 YJ tub and called it good

Question on your wheelhouse cubbies. Did you check to see where the rollbar 'kicker' feet sit? That's right about the area...
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 05:48 AM   #22
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Man I'm glad you got the time. Your gaining a lot of experiance.

That grease zerk is in all the bellcranks. Sure takes a lot of grease in there.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 06:21 AM   #23
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

WOW, someone's had a busy two months.
That tub looked brutal, you've done a great job.
Unread 12-04-2007, 06:42 AM   #24
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Thanks Fatman....After looking at some of the threads you've got going (which are AWESOME by the way) for a moment, I feel like I've done a really sub-par job but then I take a step back & look at it again and realize it's really almost spot-on with what i set out to do.

It takes a good set of blinders to stick with a "plan" and not dive deeper...and deeper...and deeper into the abyss otherwise known as "Owning a Jeep" so I'm happy I've refrained from tearing absolutely everything apart and working it over & spending a lot more $$$ than what I had originally intended.

Jeepskate, the $300 YJ tub would've probably saved just a couple hours or work but all the work & "customization" if you will has been satisfying. Plus, it was cheaper....I bought all the steel & a lot more (probably near a ton) for $15 in an auction. You bring up a good point about the cubby holes....I had forgotten about that when I had done it but had no intentions of using the original rollbar again anyway....so if I was going to try to use the roll bar, then no it would not work. Nice catch!
Unread 12-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #25
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

nice to see I am not the only person who likes to work within a budget (aka NO MONEY! - my wife keeps me pretty near broke)

Looks awsome - nice work
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #26
badge1236
1978 CJ7 

Most of your pictures after the second post don't work. That is to bad because what I saw looks great. Would like to see the finished product.
Unread 12-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #27
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge1236
Most of your pictures after the second post don't work. That is to bad because what I saw looks great. Would like to see the finished product.

All the pictures work for me. There's no reason they shouldn't be working....they're all coming from the same photobucket album and I haven't touched the album for a few days now. Maybe try again?
Unread 12-04-2007, 12:27 PM   #28
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker250
All the pictures work for me. There's no reason they shouldn't be working....they're all coming from the same photobucket album and I haven't touched the album for a few days now. Maybe try again?

X2 - worked this morning when i saw this and they still are good - give um time to load
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #29
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Nice job. Keep us posted.
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 07:11 AM   #30
biker250
1979 CJ7 

Ran into a minor glitch the other day that slowed the progress down....I wasn't plannin on doing any work to the front fender because I THOUGHT that they were in good shape...well, when I dug them out of the corner of the shop to put them on, I quickly realized that one of them in particular was definitely not doin so well....so I had to spend about an evening & a half fixin that up. Both front fenders are about done...just have to paint them and then they'll be ready to go on and then comes the wiring.

Clutch linkage is just about done...have the drop brackets fabricated, just have to weld & bolt them in place.

It's always a good day when you have a box from Jegs waiting for you at your front door

10* in the shop last night!!!!!!! The barn is not built very well toward the bottom & doesn't seal up against the floor or the ground so snow was able to blow underneath the wall & into the corners of the shop....so yea, it's cold out there!!!!

Clutch linkage drop brackets hanging from the paint booth:

No heater so had to run the bypass hose straight from the thermo housing to water pump:

Front fender before going under the knife:

Pattern for the round corner....goin flatfender:

Flatfendered:

Cancerous body that needs FIXED:

Peelin the cancer back:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.