151ci carburetor update advice please. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 151ci carburetor update advice please.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
wingedmare
1981 CJ5 

151ci carburetor update advice please.

I know there are carb threads, but not much about the 4 bangers. And to be honest, I was starting to get confused and overwhelmed searching through threads.

SO! currently my little cj5 has a stock carb. Now, she runs GREAT! UNTIL I am wheeling up or down some steeper terrains and she has tantrums and stalls out with rapid elevation changes. Now, I know this is all par for the course for a carbureted engine, but I also know there are better performing carburetors out there. So instead of driving myself insane, I am once again turning to the wealth of information you can all give me.

For the 151ci engine what carb is going to give me the best performance for getting through the mountains. Even if it is not CA legal, even though we are currently stationed here Jeep is Ohio Reg. so I am not concerned about that.

Please let me know brands and models that will fit this engine. Thanks in advance guys!

Oh, also, I am not concerned about price.

Unread 02-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
momo2
1980 CJ7 

I run a weber 32/36 on my 151 and i think it's quite an improvment over the stock rochester. The linkage however ist not a bolt-one and you might have to fabricate something
momo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

i run a weber in my 1984 model, 150 ci, made a world of difference in performance.

these little engines will never be major power houses, but i like the engine to start up quickly, idle smooth and take the fuel when i press down the go pedal.

the carb has been a great improvement over the std carb.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
wingedmare
1981 CJ5 

Thanks guys. I really like my little engine. Ok, so far two gos for the weber. Can you guys give me a little more input on how it performs off road?
Unread 02-25-2013, 02:57 AM   #5
momo2
1980 CJ7 

No Offroad-Experience with the weber so far
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
wingedmare
1981 CJ5 

Dang, well, when you give it a shot let me know how it fairs

Any other thoughts out there for me??
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
tinsleytales
1981 CJ7 

I'm interested too. While I would love to keep it stock, I've adjusted the float as much as I feel comfortable with but would love to be able to climb steeper angles without going fuel injected.
tinsleytales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
momo2
1980 CJ7 

Maybe someone of the 258-owners can tell, i see no reason that if there is a performance gain for them, that there should be none for you
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
wingedmare
1981 CJ5 

tinsleytales, exactly. I don't know about you, but I get very frustrated when people keep trying to shove going fuel injected or swapping out the motor down your throat. We can't be the only "fools" out there who like our iron dukes and want to enhance them rather than mutilate them....can we??
Unread 02-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
tinsleytales
1981 CJ7 

I have no good reason to swap motors. My little 4 banger CJ with no lift and 31" tires can get up things that the guys driving YJ's and XJ's have trouble with. Sure, it may be that they don't have the right climbing style but that's my point. I HAVE to pick my lines properly, know my jeeps limitations/strengths, and my limitations/strengths. It makes me a better driver. If I can get a carb that can perform better, it makes things that much sweeter.
Unread 02-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
wingedmare
1981 CJ5 

We are on the same page I know how to work her just right so that we eventually we do get through the hairy stuff just fine, but I would prefer to have to use so much dang foreplay with my carb on the steep stuff...more specifically the steep stuff where i have to climb over rocks while still going up, I get a bit anxious when my carb has fits at that point.
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
tinsleytales
1981 CJ7 

Exactly!
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
momo2
1980 CJ7 

Maybe you guys can tell me something differnt. Is there an vacuum delay valve before the egr valve on your 151 engines? What color-code?

No reason to swap engine for me as well. I just got it rebulid. Keep it real...
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
tinsleytales
1981 CJ7 

I can check on that this weekend for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.