151 CID GM Valve Cover Gasket ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 151 CID GM Valve Cover Gasket ?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
Conch Cruiser
1983 CJ7 

151 CID GM Valve Cover Gasket ?

I just pulled my valve cover. It appears Jeep does not use a gasket during manufacturing. It appears they used an orange RTV sealant only. I already picked up a new gasket. Should I put it back the way it was with just RTV, or use the gasket plus RTV.

Thanks,
Conch Cruiser
1983 CJ7-Base
151 GM Motor
5 speed

Conch Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Really, you don't think the valve cover has been off the engine once in 30 years? My guess is a previous owner did the RTV hack job.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Conch Cruiser
1983 CJ7 

“Really, you don't think the valve cover has been off the engine once in 30 years? My guess is a previous owner did the RTV hack job.”

Really.

I purchased thee jeep from the original owner who is a friend of mine. He does not recall ever pulling the valve cover.

I reviewed the Haynes Manual prior to removing the valve cover. It instructs you to re-install the valve cover with a bead of RTV only.

My question was. “Should I put it back the way it was with just RTV, or use the gasket plus RTV”

I assume from your response, you would use a gasket.

Any other suggestions?
Conch Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.