$150 for soft top and full soft doors, is it worth it - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > $150 for soft top and full soft doors, is it worth it

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 03-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

$150 for soft top and full soft doors, is it worth it

i recently found an origanal soft top and doors for my CJ5 for $150. the top has a couple patches in the rollbar area and a small tear (repairable) above the passenger. also the some of the sticking is coming undone. the windows on the doors are pretty foggy but not too bad. Is it too much? i really want a top to be able to put up in the summer if it is going to rain or something. i have a hardtop and plan on getting a bikini but would love to have a full soft top just in case. also, is there a product that will clean up the plastic windows or can they be replaced?

Matt_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

A product called PLEXUS does a FANTASTIC job at cleaning the windows. Hard to say if it will improve the ones you are talking about but it did wonders on the ones that I bought used. Do you have any pictures you can post so we can see what you are talking about? When you say "sticking", do you mean stitching?

$150 sounds a little high but the description is pretty subjective. The Plexus will hide some scratches but its hard to say what it will do for you. If he's in no hurry to sell, take a look at ebay, craigslist and the classifieds here to compare prices or make a lower offer and see what they say.

If it's just rain you are worried about during the summer how about a cheap cover you can throw up real quick while its parked and use the bikini top to race home?

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I had my soft top restitched and the windows replaced with smoked instead of clear for around $350. This was also a few snaps installed to replace the broken ones. The smoked was an extra $50 compared to the clear plastic, but I like the tinted better. The lady who repaired mine took measurements of it while she had it and I may have here make me one, which I know will be a lot cheaper than the Bestop replacements. She's an authorized dealer of them, and you can only get black, and I want to say they are around $600-$700..

Being patched and all, and original, I'd be half tempted to find another somewhere else. They are only designed to last 5-10 years before the material gets stretched/worn and such, especially in the sunnier states.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 12:34 AM   #4
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Does the top include the hardware? New door hardware alone would cost more than that... I think it's worth it.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 05:38 AM   #5
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

i will post picks later this afternoon. the way he has is listed is 75 for the top and 75 for the doors. in the pics it appears to have all the hardware as it is mounted. the windows don't bother me too much since the back one is clear. I would really like some 2 piece doors anyway. for $75 it sounds like a good deal on a softtop and i think i could make it work.

but, after looking at doors i found this pavement ends emergency top. ($119) it really interest me since it is brand new and not much more. do you think
Unread 03-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

these are the pics the guy sent me

Unread 03-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

these are the pics the guy sent me

tell me if these don't load, i'm using a photobucket proxy at my school
Unread 03-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Looks like it is gonna need restitched. The section above the pass side dooe is coming apart, and like mine, when one are started, others followed. The stitching dry-rots and falls out. Many leaks and falling apart. Looks like the rear has been replaced, since it is the only clear window. I'd save my $ and go with the emergency top if you think that is what will work for you.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_G View Post
... i found this pavement ends emergency top. ($119) it really interest me since it is brand new and not much more. do you think
correct me if I'm wrong, but I think those are meant just to cover the interior when stationary? they don't have any windows in them, or doors, and they don't even make them for a CJ5- so

-around here, we call that a tarp, and they're about $12

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

doh, it said for a CJ, didn't think about 7 vs. 5.

i will have to think about it, it would be nice to have one but I don't like the snaps or the fact that is so old

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.