15.5 inch wide tires on a CJ-5? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 17 Old 12-12-2002, 12:18 PM
cj5goliath

1980 CJ5 

I've had the u-joints break just turning corners at low speeds with large tires. Maybe the earlier cj's were a little heavier duty....i'm not sure.

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn!!!

http://www.cranked-up.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 Old 12-15-2002, 10:41 PM
91XJLimited

I'm not on ANY side here, I'm just bored, and looking for someone to help. If it were me, I would DEFINETLY get the offset rims, not the spacers. They make offset rims for a reason. The center of the wheel, is the center, no matter what the backspacing is. The backspacing, is the distance from the outside of the rim, to where it is secured by lugnuts to the axle. The center is the center. If anything, spacers would be the thing that puts stress on the wheel. I don't really understand how a wheel could put stress on itself, but whatever. If you go with a spacer set-up, I hope you have a thick wallet. Just think of all the things you could buy instead of putting in new axle shafts, lugs, and then finally realizing you need more backspacing on your wheels, and buying a new set of wheels.

91 XJ Limited - RE 5.5" XD, 32x9.50 TSL's, 4.0 HO, disconnects, other good stuff

94 ZJ 5.2 Limited - 6.5" Teraflex lift, Clayton Long Arms, disconnects, 37x12.50 SSR's, Hummer Beadlocks, and more good stuff

MY JEEPS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.