15.5 inch wide tires on a CJ-5? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 15.5 inch wide tires on a CJ-5?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-03-2002, 04:20 PM   #1
jeepin cj-5

15.5 inch wide tires on a CJ-5?

I was looking at the TSL-sx 33\15.5 and i was just wondering if they would fit on my 73 cj-5. Of course i am putting the 4 inch lift on it. Would wheel spacers help?

jeepin cj-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2002, 06:16 PM   #2
cj5goliath
1980 CJ5 

Putting wheel spacers on a vehicle puts a ton of un-due stress on your axles, U-joints, and gears. It makes your steering hard to turn....which stresses your steering gear box. Wide tires are hard enough on everything....let alone wheel spacers. That's the main reason most people that put large beefy tires on...end up upgrading to bigger axles....lockers....hydraulic ram steering, etc. You might consider a smaller tire....or plan on spending a ton to upgrade everything else. It all depends on your budget. It might look cool to have huge tires....but it's not too cool to be stuck on the side of the road with snapped axles or busted u-joints.

http://www.cranked-up.com
cj5goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2002, 06:40 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I run 35x15x15 TSL's on my71CJ5. Granted, I'm running a SOA Dana 44 front axle that's 54" wide but my rear axle is the same one that you're running (stock Dana 44 50.5" wide I believe). Instead of spacers, maybe you could run some of those Rock Crawler rims (15x10 with 3.75" backspacing). They might allow you to get away with those tires without spacers. Of course, there's always the 33x12.50 Swampers that still look great and kick butt offroad.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2002, 08:04 PM   #4
cj5mudman4x4

I am runnin 33x12.5 on my 73' with a shackle lift. when i turn when i am somewhat articulated i rub my springs i cant imagine 15.5! i have dana 44s and it still does it. i duno if it will be different with a suspension lift.

hope that helps
INDEPENDENT OFFROAD member Bowling Green, Ky
cj5mudman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 01:30 AM   #5
rednek

I just put 37 x 13 x 15 TSL Boggers on my 1980 CJ7. I have some rub and have just ordered 2 1/2" spacers form performancewheel.com. I think it will help but I don't think that 15.5 will work if you do any off roading at all.

Last edited by rednek; 12-08-2002 at 11:57 PM..
rednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2002, 10:07 PM   #6
jeepin cj-5

thanks for the help.... I knew that with those narrowtrak axles and all that it wasnt very practicle. I think i am getting the 33 by 13 baja claws
Unread 12-08-2002, 10:44 PM   #7
manhattanjeep

I think that you will be a lot better off with those tires. You say that they are 13" wide, is that 12.50 or 13.50? I had 33x14.50's on and they would rub the springs when turning. There was no rubbing when driving in a line. However, they did handle awful on the highway. they were bias ply and they were wide, and they would track wherever they felt like. I personally will never run wider than 12.50 on a rig that sees street time. that is just my personal opinion. By the way I am running 4.75" backspacing on 10" rims.

JEremy
Unread 12-09-2002, 05:53 PM   #8
jeepin cj-5

I really dont see the difference in spacers and offset rims besides the spacers have more stress on the bolts. How much extra would offset rims cost..personally i think the wider stance looks cooler but whatever is better.
Unread 12-09-2002, 09:22 PM   #9
rednek

Stress

I checked on some offset rims. A friend of mine owns a tire store and he talked me into the spacers. The off set rims put undue stress on the rim because the center of the rim does not match the center of the tire. On serious off roading, this can cause the rim to get stress fractures.
3" Body lift
4" suspension lift
37 x 13 x 15 Boggers
15 x 10 Soft 5 rims
2 1/2" spacers
8000 lb Warn upright
1/4 turn hubs
Headers
CD changer and casette player w/ Orion amp and 10" bass tube, 2 - surface mount waterproof highs and 2 - 6 x 9 waterproof speakers
KC takedowns w/ homemade window mounts
Lock'd Rear
Flatfendered
Custom confederate flag paint job and DIXIE air horn
Unread 12-10-2002, 09:34 AM   #10
boredstiff

does anyone do there homework?

I would really like to know where all the rednecks get there ridiculoous information?

Wheel spacers are not different that offset wheels. It just depends on how much money you want to spend.
First- offset wheels are built to be offset, they are not weaker because of this offset, I talked with several manufacturers before buying mine.

Second- the offset does not change the center of the wheel. The center of the wheel, is still centered with the tire. It reduces the back space so the wheel is moved outboard.

Third- the size of the tire only effects axle / u joint breakage if you have alot of horsepower- 300 plus, which most I-6 jeeps don't have.

Fourth- what will happen is you will wear ball joints quicker. This is due to the increased torque arm created by the reduced offset. Kinda like putting a longer rachet arm on to get more torque. So, put in heavy duty ball joints and the 4 inch lift, and get a 12 inch wheel and the 15/15.5 tires. I have been running that setup for 3 years now. No problems.... rednecks... can't live with, can't trust there information...
boredstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2002, 04:18 PM   #11
jeepin cj-5

how much more arer the offset rims?
Unread 12-10-2002, 05:00 PM   #12
manhattanjeep

They are generally not any more. Just ask the people where you get the rims their options for backspacing. with that wide of a tire, if you go with it you would want a 10" rim, which you can also use to run the 12.50's. If you want a tighter bead then you could go with an 8" wide rim. The width of the rim will limit the amount of backspacing to some degree. I don't think you can go much lower than 4 or 3.75 backspacing with a 10" rim, but with an 8" rim I think you can get down to 3". Hope this helps.
Unread 12-10-2002, 11:09 PM   #13
rednek

If you think about it for a second... If the backspace is built in the rims then the center of the tire is farther outside of the mount. It doesn't matter if you are a redneck or not. Think about it for a minute. Plus it figures that the person you are buying the rims from or that makes the rims will tell you their product is the best way to go. I got my information from an independent dealer that by the way lives in the Northwest (WA State) and he lost the sale because he was honest with his info.
3" Body lift
4" suspension lift
37 x 13 x 15 Boggers
15 x 10 Soft 5 rims
2 1/2" spacers
8000 lb Warn upright
1/4 turn hubs
Headers
CD changer and casette player w/ Orion amp and 10" bass tube, 2 - surface mount waterproof highs and 2 - 6 x 9 waterproof speakers
KC takedowns w/ homemade window mounts
Lock'd Rear
Flatfendered
Custom confederate flag paint job and DIXIE air horn
Unread 12-11-2002, 07:40 PM   #14
cj5goliath
1980 CJ5 

Jeeba,
The v-8's that Jeep put out didn't even have 300+ horsepower....let alone the I-6. The larger the tire size....the more stress you put on your axles & U-joints. Horsepower would definitely do the same thing...I'd agree. If what you are saying is true...that the tire size doesn't cause any stress on axles....then the axle splines of all AMC 20 rearends would be sufficient for larger tires....and Superior Axle would be out of business. I've been in my share of jeeps with oversized tires....33's & 35's mainly....that have twisted axles, blown u-joints, blown lock-outs, etc.....and I can guarantee you that they weren't OVERPOWERED!!! It's a good thing a redneck stopped to pull us home.

http://www.cranked-up.com
cj5goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2002, 07:14 AM   #15
boredstiff

Partially agree

I will partially agree with you, I have three jeeps, and by the way, AMC did make the 360 and 401 which did have over 300 horse out of the box... I didn't say it was in the jeep... the 304 only put out 215 - 225 hp right...At any rate... the axle breaks and u joint breaks don't occur when your driving down the road... they happen when you don't know how to drive your rig. You get stuck, you panic, or you get axle hop and you don't let off the go juice... that is when the breakage occurs... I can send a line to how offset wheels are built if needed?
boredstiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.