134 F engine starting problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 134 F engine starting problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-24-2004, 09:47 AM   #1
wijeeper18

134 F engine starting problem

I have been working on trying to get the 134 engine to run in my jeep. I have tried 2 different carburators, replaced the components in the distributer and the distributer shaft itself with a used one from a running 134 and believe that i have them set correctly and i have new plugs that are getting spark. I have tried adjusting the timing and i cant get it to run. The best that i get is an occasional backfire. The old distributer required upward pressure on the shaft itself in order for it to run. I am at a loss to what the problem is. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

wijeeper18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2004, 10:38 AM   #2
71CJ5

Try posting over on www.earlycj5.com/Forum

We have lots of F-head gurus over there.

http://community.webshots.com/user/71cj5
71CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2004, 12:33 AM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Check in this order
1 firing order...ensure that the it is set up in relation to the direction of rotation and you don't have it 180 degrees off(#1 firing on the exhaust instead of compression stroke).
2 Insure it is getting fuel. visualy check to see if the acccelerator pump is squirting fuel.
3 Compression. If the engine has been siting for a long time, the exhaust valves can become sticky,causing compression to become erratic.
Other things to look for...sheared distributor(oil pump)gear roll pin,broken timing gears,stuck rings.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2004, 09:26 PM   #4
wijeeper18

thanks for the replies, i got it figured out. plug wires were off by one.
wijeeper18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.